Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Gold (Tap Portugal)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Star Alliance Gold (Tap Portugal)

Is there an ongoing issue with *Alliance Gold (via Tap Portugal) being recognized in United’s system?

My sisters reservations show bag fee and she’s had to go to counter and spend time with agents to get them to manually override the system. Also it’s a hassle getting lounge access.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 8:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are you say the UA system was not recognizing a non-UA *G (TAP) status? And not providing +1 bag fee waiver?

Was the TAP account not on the PNR?
or was it there and the UA system not seeing the *G?
Was the ticket booked directly with UA or thru a different method?
Old Aug 7, 2021, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Also it’s a hassle getting lounge access.
What's the hassle? Is her TP number and *G status not on the BP? Is she not being admitted when she shows her TP *G card?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
What's the hassle? Is her TP number and *G status not on the BP? Is she not being admitted when she shows her TP *G card?
correct. *G status is not on boarding pass. Have to walk over to agent, tell them to waive checked bag fee, then have to explain to lounge attendant, etc etc.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I read about the same thing happening with A3*G recently over an the Aegean part of FT.
Start to look a lot like a systemic issue :/
Old Aug 8, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Does the name on the ticket exactly match the TP account?

Back in the day, there was no name matching for benefits on a lot of airlines. Then a bunch added last-name matching. I didn't read too many complaints there.

Then airlines started doing first-name matching as well, and there were a whole host of issues where John Robert Smith had "Robert Smith" on the FF account, but "John Smith" on the ticket.

If this has started to happen to *G users of multiple programs, it's possible that UA has turned on an additional name check, and simple discrepancies could be preventing the status from showing up.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Does the name on the ticket exactly match the TP account?

Back in the day, there was no name matching for benefits on a lot of airlines. Then a bunch added last-name matching. I didn't read too many complaints there.

Then airlines started doing first-name matching as well, and there were a whole host of issues where John Robert Smith had "Robert Smith" on the FF account, but "John Smith" on the ticket.

If this has started to happen to *G users of multiple programs, it's possible that UA has turned on an additional name check, and simple discrepancies could be preventing the status from showing up.
name matches exactly.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
name matches exactly.
Any middle name? Some airlines merge the first and middle names into one, and some merge the middle and last into one.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:19 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
It also depends on the airport. At EWR a couple of years back, scanner issues at the Terminal C clubs and one of the Dragons said "OZ isn't Star Alliance, no access." Manager was near by and corrected the issue with apologies. Sometimes I've had issues at EWR as well trying to use the Priority line with the same excuse. I guess it's just because OZ goes into JFK not EWR.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Any middle name? Some airlines merge the first and middle names into one, and some merge the middle and last into one.
nope

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are you say the UA system was not recognizing a non-UA *G (TAP) status? And not providing +1 bag fee waiver?

Was the TAP account not on the PNR?
or was it there and the UA system not seeing the *G?
Was the ticket booked directly with UA or thru a different method?
TAP account is on PNR.
correct. UA system not picking *G
booked with UA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 2021 at 1:59 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve had the opposite issue. My UA *G not being show on a TAP booking. I simply showed the TAP check in agent my UA who entered my FFN into their system and all was fixed in 15 seconds.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TAP account is on PNR.
correct. UA system not picking *G
booked with UA.
Try asking the check-in agent to remove and then re-add the frequent flyer number. That may cause it to appear on the BP.
SPN Lifer and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 5:25 am
Original Poster

It was very busy in the line, just paid bag fees as it was getting close to the 45 min deadline, and applied for refund online after the trip. No biggie. There was another Star Gold in line waiting for the exact same thing. Could be a problem with Tap Portugal supplying their data into Star Alliance database?
Old Aug 15, 2021, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to provide a quick update - appears like this issue has been fixed. booked more flights today and Star Alliance Gold is on email itinerary. She can't see it online on reservations and app, but I'm hoping it will print on boarding pass. Will provide an update. Under baggage allowance, it shows 1 bag included.
cfischer and jsloan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.