Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should UA upscale the Hawaii fleet (postCOVID) and include premium pax lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should UA upscale the Hawaii fleet (postCOVID) and include premium pax lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by jsloan
A few hundred dollars? The Polaris lounge is fine, but there's no airline lounge in the world that's worth a few hundred dollars to access. Especially for a local resident, who doesn't need to kill time during a connection. The IAH-HNL flight is a morning departure -- use the hundreds of dollars for a nice breakfast and a limo ride to the airport, and you'd still come out ahead.

Very few carriers have found international F profitable on any route, anywhere in the world. The carriers that offer it are either excluding the cabin from their newer plane orders (SQ, LH), shrinking it (SQ again), removing it entirely (UA, OZ), or have no particular need to turn a profit (EK, QR). AA's obviously an exception, but they're also a horribly mismanaged airline, so I'm not sure I'd be looking to them for guidance.

The basic problem is that the business class hard product got to be too good, so there's less of an incentive for anyone to fly F. Sure, the United First seat was better than the Polaris seat, but not so much better that people were willing to pay a significant premium.

As for trying to use it on leisure routes -- a few issues:
  1. You're begging for trouble if you have too small of a subfleet equipped with F; it really limits the flexibility you have in route planning, and heaven help you if an aircraft or two are out of service. Even if there is a market for flights to OGG/HNL/PPT, that's not enough flights to make it practical.
  2. You absolutely cannot judge future demand for premium leisure travel by current numbers. You're looking at a large amount of pent-up demand and a small number of available destinations. A lot of people who would otherwise have been going to Australia or Asia are going to Hawaii this summer just because it's open.
  3. UA has a particularly high-density J cabin. Comparing UA, SQ, and AA's 77Ws: between doors 1 and 2, AA and SQ both have 8 F and 8 J seats. UA has 28 J seats. So, you're looking at replacing 20 J seats with 8 F seats, meaning that just to break even, you're going to need fares that are 2.5x the average J fare. Just because UA can sell 60 seats at $2K doesn't mean that they can sell 8 seats at $5K and 40 seats at $2K.
  4. UA's soft product is not up to international F standards, and there's no particular reason to believe that it could be. If you search the archives, you'll find plenty of derisive posts about the soup -- which was the only difference between the F and J offerings when UA still had F.
  5. Pre-COVID, there were already complaints about the Polaris lounges being too crowded during peak departure windows. (And there's no Polaris Lounge in HNL, OGG, or PPT anyway).
I suspect you're judging the market by your own preferences, but given your first comment above, I'm not convinced that you're representative of their customer base.
The bolded raises a good point that I didn't think of. Yes, given that there are very few markets where int'l first would work (in addition to the 3 I named, maybe you could justify it to Bali or BKK, but we don't fly to BKK), missing a couple of planes would leave some ultra wealthy flyers UA would be chasing with an int'l F ultra irritated if they had to be reaccomodated in J on a different aircraft
Old Aug 5, 2021, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
given that there are very few markets where int'l first would work (in addition to the 3 I named, maybe you could justify it to Bali or BKK, but we don't fly to BKK),
Ha, ha, there was a rather long thread about why UA pulled out of BKK (to the displeasure of many of us here), and I think the consensus (with some strong disagreement among the minority) was that it was a leisure market, and even many other airlines scaled back or cut back on premium seats.

There is NO WAY that UA would even THINK about flying Int'l FC to BKK

OK, flying, not parking ....
SEA-Flyer, m.y, N104UA and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Ha, ha, there was a rather long thread about why UA pulled out of BKK (to the displeasure of many of us here), and I think the consensus (with some strong disagreement among the minority) was that it was a leisure market, and even many other airlines scaled back or cut back on premium seats.

There is NO WAY that UA would even THINK about flying Int'l FC to BKK

OK, flying, not parking ....
IFC does not seem to be a business travelers product. It is primarily a leisure product for the ultra wealthy as next to no companies pay for F (basically, it's competition against flying private). Putting F on a business route tends to lead to most seats being taken by upgraders, costing the airlines money.

But I do agree with Jsloan that having a small subfleet with F could cause some serious issues when a few planes cannot fly
tuolumne, N104UA and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
IFC does not seem to be a business travelers product. It is primarily a leisure product for the ultra wealthy as next to no companies pay for F (basically, it's competition against flying private)
Ultra wealthy are NOT going to be vacationing in Thailand

I have visited many times, many of my friends have retired there, but it just isn't a destination for ultra wealthy.

Now do I wish UA would return to BKK? Of course, but as much as I miss my Upper Deck from NRT to BKK, it appears that either is coming back anytime soon

(RIP Queen of the Skies)
N104UA likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:05 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Back in the pre-COVID days at a GS soiree held in the SFO Polaris Lounge, a senior UA person told me they were looking at the likelihood of creating a Polaris or Polaris "light" offering into Hawaii, complete with some kind of Polaris/Polaris light lounge in HNL. He wouldn't elaborate on what exactly "light" was , although I asked if that could be a lounge within a lounge for Polaris/GS people to which he nodded.

While in normal times ANA had their A380s coming into their beautiful HNL lounge, which includes their own F area within the lounge, I wonder how that lounge offering performs for ANA and *A. Would be interesting if UA made that some kind of Polaris thing, and shuttle passengers to the UA gates via ramp sedan.

Before the pandemic, Australia/New Zealand-Hawaii traffic was also picking up. Would love to see UA bring back HNL-SYD, and would be nice to see such a route Polarized. But I think thats a pipedream. Then again, 18 months ago, I never would have believed UA would bring 3-cabin aircraft to KOA yet here we are.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Back in the pre-COVID days at a GS soiree held in the SFO Polaris Lounge, a senior UA person told me they were looking at the likelihood of creating a Polaris or Polaris "light" offering into Hawaii, complete with some kind of Polaris/Polaris light lounge in HNL. He wouldn't elaborate on what exactly "light" was , although I asked if that could be a lounge within a lounge for Polaris/GS people to which he nodded.

While in normal times ANA had their A380s coming into their beautiful HNL lounge, which includes their own F area within the lounge, I wonder how that lounge offering performs for ANA and *A. Would be interesting if UA made that some kind of Polaris thing, and shuttle passengers to the UA gates via ramp sedan.

Before the pandemic, Australia/New Zealand-Hawaii traffic was also picking up. Would love to see UA bring back HNL-SYD, and would be nice to see such a route Polarized. But I think thats a pipedream. Then again, 18 months ago, I never would have believed UA would bring 3-cabin aircraft to KOA yet here we are.
Didn't there used to be a BusinessFirst light offering into Hawaii before $misek downgraded it?
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
While there's a lot of demand for the HI market right now, I don't see it lasting through the lifecycle of a cabin reconfig. The delayed trips will be taken, the rest of the world will open up, etc and the high dollar demand to HI will fade to prior levels.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I would see UA entering into a stronger partnership with HA before they start their own HNL-SYD route.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA
I would see UA entering into a stronger partnership with HA before they start their own HNL-SYD route.
I don't see a UA HNL-SYD route again - but even less likely is a stronger partnership with HA. HA is the biggest competitor to UA in Hawaii - although HA is spending more time fending off WN with interisland flights.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
In my (somewhat limited) observation, there is sufficient $$$$ flying to HI on a regular basis to justify putting more premium seats into the markets.

The prices, while high, are not so high, relative to, say luxury hotels, so the cost of a splurge on J seats to hawaii in the context of 7 nights at (four seasons, for example) is not so great.

As for a premium lounge... frankly, the existing lounge network should be punched up a notch or two and that should suffice.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
I think WN will buy HA before that would happen.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I think WN will buy HA before that would happen.
Alaska is a possibility- WN is not a fit.
Daze, Weatherboy and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:50 pm

Didn't there used to be a BusinessFirst light offering into Hawaii before $misek downgraded it?
CO offered full BusinessFirst experience on their EWR-HNL route complete with lounge access on either end. I think IAD-HNL was also the same. Back in the days when the CO lounge was inside the terminal and overflowing with mai tais and Milanos.
uanj, EWR764 and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CO offered full BusinessFirst experience on their EWR-HNL route complete with lounge access on either end. I think IAD-HNL was also the same. Back in the days when the CO lounge was inside the terminal and overflowing with mai tais and Milanos.
Referring to CO, maybe IAH-HNL?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Referring to CO, maybe IAH-HNL?
I think it was EWR, IAD, and IAH all on a 767. And then somewhere in there, CO drastically cut the size of the F cabin back, replacing about half the cabin with more Y seats.

Nice to see modern day UA flying 752s, 789s, 773s, and 763s into the islands. Sure beats the 737 dominated pre-Covid schedules. Although I've noticed UA cutting service back starting in September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.