Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Which UA hubs do you prefer? Which do you avoid? What will you do to avoid them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2021, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Which UA hubs do you prefer? Which do you avoid? What will you do to avoid them?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by bakster21

ORD is still my top choice (though I'm admittedly biased growing up near Chicago).
Actually ORD is just fine - if you O/D there (and I don’t mean overdose!). I wouldn’t enjoy transiting there, especially I—>D. As a home airport, it’s fine.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA
I really enjoy EWR. Efficient operation, friendly service, short lines and a beautiful view out the front.
SPN Lifer, cmd320, tcdtcd and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by bakster21
SFO ... food options were also limited
Klein's Deli is always my go-to in SFO. One in E and one in F.
bakster21 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I really really miss the CLE hub. It was easy to get around, and the GAs were always friendly. The club there, especially when it was the President's Club, was the best one in the network for staff.

Open ones now? I really don't mind ORD, I've flow through it so many times that I know all the quiet places to work, and where not to go to eat. I do miss the C/F shuttle, when connecting to express it was a huge time saver.

What one do I want to avoid when I can? IAH, I hate Houston, and my layover there yesterday reminded me why. I'll take DEN any day. I really don't pay too much attention to the cost of flights, just that they work in favor of scheduling.
I miss CLE as well, I would try to route through there instead of ORD and as you said the UC there is hands down one of the best. Really nice staff and a chill place. ORD for me is just too big, I have had some very long commutes to gates. If you come in from LAX for example and have a commuter flight out I swear you can walk a mile to that little tucked away commuter terminal. The UC are over crowded and underwhelming.
I don't mind DEN and that is second to SFO my second "home hub". SFO is what it is I guess. SFO is my home HUB so I know it very well and generally don't have any problems there.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by jasonp622
funny, i prefer IAD for the Lufthansa and Turkish lounges
IAD is my home airport and I also like it for the Lufthansa and Turkish lounges, which are in the much nicer B terminal (UA is in the dumpy C / D terminal). It makes up for having no true Polaris lounge at IAD, and if I have a connecting flight in Europe to LH or OS, I can usually get the seat changed to a better one at the LH lounge.

My favorite hub is SFO due to the nice eating options, wonderful international terminal and the SFO crews, which are my favorite on the UA network. EWR has gotten better over the years in my experience and I no longer avoid it like I used to.
Artpen100 and am1108 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
From most favorite to least favorite

SFO- Love the view and Rotunda Club
DEN- Love the view looking out and tall windows, Dislike the length of taxi time.
IAD- Home airport so I am used to C / D and like that I can take nonstops to where I need to go most of the time. Also has many lounge options TK, LH, UC x4, BA and AF/KL...
IAH- Somehow relaxing and spacious
LAX- Like the United Club outdoor patio
ORD- Nice tunnel
(reserved as buffer space)
EWR- Nice that they updated it, but still don't like it due to a lack of airside connections (airside train, bridge, etc.) ...

I'll take my "dump" (IAD- C/D) any day over EWR! although it is time for UA, MWAA and probably even Virginia and the local governments to pitch in and build a real terminal.
Boraxo, Artpen100 and WasKnown like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 6:45 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Back shortly after the merger I lived in Santa Monica and spent a lot of time, energy, and money to avoid the IAH connection that was almost always the cheapest route for my travel. I had a huge preference for DEN for the sake of the lounge/airport experience on the layover.

I try pretty hard to avoid EWR and IAD for INTL connections now for the airport experience.

In order of desirability I'd say my answer to the question of "what hub would you want to take a 5 hour delay in" I'd say: DEN > ORD > SFO > LAX > IAH > EWR > IAD. This mostly comes down to the quality of the lounge/restaurant composition that I'd be rotating between to kill the time.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by WasKnown
EWR is such an unmitigated disaster. I pity the people that have no choice but to fly out of there.
I have a choice and it makes EWR look like heaven. :-(
dmurphynj and AugustusM like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Back in the day, when I used to live in The Springs, I would often find that my international flights were hundreds of dollars cheaper from COS vs DEN (domestic flights as well but not as big a difference). Don't ask me why because I have no idea what the revenue management logic was but, more often than not, this was the case. In addition, taxi fare to/from COS would save me money vs the parking cost at DEN when I would take my multi-week long business trips.
Because from COS you could choose various international gateways for different airlines, all with that one stop.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I loved CLE, easiest to navigate by a mile...

Despite all the hate for IAD, I don't mind it as much... the staff is generally horrible, but there's the LH and TK lounges, so if (and it usually did) the layover makes sense, those clubs are nice.

LAX is awful but not as a connection point, as O/D its terrible.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by drewguy
Because from COS you could choose various international gateways for different airlines, all with that one stop.
UA also offers COS-LAX, COS-IAH, and COS-ORD (albeit with far fewer frequencies).
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I have a choice and it makes EWR look like heaven. :-(
Funny, Pre-LGA upgrade I thought EWR was the best of the NYC options and also better than PHL. Low bar, I know.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Avoid:
ORD in winter when connecting. Frequent O/D though
EWR always unless flying intl Just dont like the airport
LAX because no direct flight to/from PHL
IAD Preferred during pandemic due to easy CPU but not impossible. CRJ to/from PHL, Train to nowhere. Only saving grace its multiple lounges *G and PP

Prefer:
IAH: Seems more reliable, PP options for long layovers
SFO: Good connection point for TPAC, also PP options for long layovers

On the fence about DEN
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1K
After connecting through 1200 times - gotta be IAH.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think there used to be a whole thread dedicated to how awful EWR was. It included some stories of gate agents punching out passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.