Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Blogger denied entry to United Club (issue with LX "BP")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blogger denied entry to United Club (issue with LX "BP")

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Not sure what the point of this is. OP had a separate Swiss ticket and was not flying United. I can give you endless example of verifiably being checked in on a flight and not being provided a BP until ID and/or other document(s) checked . Let's stick to the OP's situation.
Again - IMO the Swiss document isn't a boarding pass. I am not commenting on how UA or its agents operationalize, interpret, or enforce the published requirement of having "a boarding pass." I quoted earlier comments comparing this Swiss doc as a "United's doc ok stamp." I respectfully disagree. This Swiss doc is perhaps closer (edited) to UA's "This is not a boarding pass" document. Well, this is just my interpretation. Sure enough, the OP seems to get a "check-in confirmation." If the doc did say "boarding pass" on it, I would take my words back.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
From earlier post: "UA's internal guides reference "proof of same-day travel" not a boarding pass or barcode as being required for lounge access".

So, if you fly UA to SFO, have a connecting *A flight in 4 hours for which you have no BP, but proof of same-day travel, you'd be happy to sit outside the Polaris Lounge for an a hour, exiting and re-clearing security after the *A airline counter opens? That's probably fine with everyone inside.

Again - being checked in and getting boarding passes are two separate things. And, yes, having to go through the trouble to wait for the Swiss counter to open, exit and re-clear security, in order to provide an idiot-proof BP to an incompetent agent would have avoided the problem. So, the onus is on us to avoid any challenge to the most minimal understanding of the rules, no matter how troublesome it can be. That's great customer service.
I agree with your assessment here. You put it out more clearly than I did.

Last edited by alwaysflyingLA; Jul 6, 2021 at 12:45 pm
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:37 pm

The United image posted above says "you are not checked in".

OP said they were checked in on Swiss, just didn't have a boarding pass. You can be checked in and not have a boarding pass for a variety of reasons -- no seat assignment, etc.

As far as I'm aware there's no T-60 deadline to receive a boarding pass, just to check in.

BUT, it's pretty clear what is and what isn't a boarding pass. A boarding pass is the document that allows you to board the plane. If you can't get on the plane with the document in your hand, it's not a boarding pass, even if it gets you past security or into some lounges.
alwaysflyingLA likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alwaysflyingLA
IMO, the Swiss document in question isn't a boarding pass, at least to the eyes of United's lounge agents.
It is not analogous to "UA's document-check sticker or DOCS OK stamp" on a barcoded boarding pass. It's more like United's "Airport check-in required" printout. On United's version, it clearly states it is not a boarding pass.

But I mostly agree with others' comments about UA @ SFO.

Pre-Covid, I did get admissions to a number of lounges with only flight confirmations, i.e., both ANA lounges and UA Club at NRT. YMMV.

img
Just because United sometimes refuses to check you in and issues a document stating such does not imply that SWISS does the same.

Originally Posted by alwaysflyingLA
Again - IMO the Swiss document isn't a boarding pass. I am not commenting on how UA or its agents operationalize, interpret, or enforce the published requirement of having "a boarding pass." I quoted earlier comments comparing this Swiss doc as a "United's doc ok stamp." I respectfully disagree. This Swiss doc is equivalent to UA's "This is not a boarding pass" document. Well, this is just my interpretation. If the doc did say "boarding pass" on it, I would take my words back.
Is your definition of "boarding pass" that it must be a document saying "boarding pass" on it? Where does it say "boarding pass" on this boarding pass?

Originally Posted by threeoh
The United image posted above says "you are not checked in".

OP said they were checked in on Swiss, just didn't have a boarding pass. You can be checked in and not have a boarding pass for a variety of reasons -- no seat assignment, etc.

As far as I'm aware there's no T-60 deadline to receive a boarding pass, just to check in.

BUT, it's pretty clear what is and what isn't a boarding pass. A boarding pass is the document that allows you to board the plane. If you can't get on the plane with the document in your hand, it's not a boarding pass, even if it gets you past security or into some lounges.
That would mean you don't have a boarding pass until you get the DOCS OK stamp.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
That would mean you don't have a boarding pass until you get the DOCS OK stamp.
I would argue that stamping a document doesn't make it a new document.
JimInOhio and Guate87 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
I would argue that stamping a document doesn't make it a new document.
But they won't let you board without that stamp.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA
Is your definition of "boarding pass" that it must be a document saying "boarding pass" on it? Where does it say "boarding pass" on this boarding pass?
Apologize for not adding the right clause to my sentence. In the case of Swiss (online check-in), I believe they do say Boarding Pass. I haven't seen OP's doc, so I won't be able say it has those words or not. The blog post stated it was a BP-alike "check-in confirmation."

Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:16 pm

But they won't let you board without that stamp.
Yes, for some flights you need a stamped boarding pass.

If you have a boarding pass that is for a reservation you've cancelled after printing the BP, that won't get you on the plane either.

But you always need a boarding pass. If the document you have is not the type of document that will let you onto a plane, it's not a boarding pass.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Here's an article from Feb 2021: https://www.traveldailynews.com/post...st-requirement

...SWISS is making temporary modifications to its online check-in process. With immediate effect, customers checking in for their flight to Switzerland will not be sent their boarding pass but will receive a confirmation instead. Upon presentation of this confirmation to the check-in agent at their departure airport, they will be issued with their boarding pass, provided they meet all of Switzerland’s new entry requirements.

There is a similar notation on Lufthansa's website as well. https://www.lufthansa.com/ch/en/check-in-information
Old Jul 6, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I've been fortunate enough to have been granted access to the PL at SFO with only proof of check-in when connecting to a BR flight (BR being another airline that allows check-in but often does not issue a BP until conformance in the form of documentation check - and typically the last connecting flight on UA that I can take still arrives hours before the BR departure gates are staffed).

Customer service is often about making common-sense exceptions to literal interpretations of published policy in good faith situations - and this is especially applicable when, as in the case of BR at SFO, one of the reasons BR pax have to wait so long nowadays to do conformance is that the SFO PL closed the BR lounge at SFO.

I refuse to accept that it is at all reasonable that a checked-in passenger should have to exit airside, get a BP at the landside counters, and reclear security just to gain access to a lounge. If UA adopts such a nonsensical and moronic position, I'll simply stop flying.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by gengar
I've been fortunate enough to have been granted access to the PL at SFO with only proof of check-in when connecting to a BR flight (BR being another airline that allows check-in but often does not issue a BP until conformance in the form of documentation check - and typically the last connecting flight on UA that I can take still arrives hours before the BR departure gates are staffed).

Customer service is often about making common-sense exceptions to literal interpretations of published policy in good faith situations - and this is especially applicable when, as in the case of BR at SFO, one of the reasons BR pax have to wait so long nowadays to do conformance is that the SFO PL closed the BR lounge at SFO.

I refuse to accept that it is at all reasonable that a checked-in passenger should have to exit airside, get a BP at the landside counters, and reclear security just to gain access to a lounge. If UA adopts such a nonsensical and moronic position, I'll simply stop flying.
Finally! Some thing that makes sense to me, rather than all the rule enforcers chiming in around here :-)
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by gengar

But was your BR flight on a separate ticket?
zymm and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I've been on separate tickets and been allowed access before, more than once. In one case (at ORD), I walked into the Polaris lounge and asked them if I needed to go landside to get a BP for my onward LH flight. They called a senior agent who came out, looked at my intinerary and check-in docs, and told them no, to just admit me to the lounge.

As an aside, separate tickets used to be pretty common for me when I couldn't find domestic saver award inventory to connect to an international itinerary. So, I would pay for a domestic positioning flight on UA and use miles to fly LH F or J internationally.
MatthewLAX and Guate87 like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 6, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:38 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Yes - for my routing, BR conformance would not be necessary on a single ticket. Sorry I didn't make that more clear.

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Finally! Some thing that makes sense to me, rather than all the rule enforcers chiming in around here :-)
It honestly boggles the mind - as if so many people have never experienced this type of customer service interaction, worked with customers in any capacity, or even read a book about it.

Last edited by gengar; Jul 7, 2021 at 12:46 am
Old Aug 23, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: MP AA
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Just an update -- UA reached out and said they wanted to talk on the phone about what occurred. I responded that a phone call would be fine, but have not heard back (48 hours). Stay tuned.
And did they call?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by egentry
And did they call?
Inquiring minds would like to know how you made out with your issue. Was the resolution, if any acceptable to you? We had a lot of bandwidth here and I think there are others in my position curious to know
uanj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.