Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA summer fares have significantly increased, will that continue into the future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA summer fares have significantly increased, will that continue into the future?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by TA
The only deeply discounted fare I still see at this point is SFO-MAD with Aeromexico (via MEX). Don't know why it's the anomalous outlier.
It does seem to drag down the price of other carriers if you fly to Madrid though, which could help some people.
AM being lower than others -> normal. Other carriers priced around $2K are good fares.

Flying TATL to/from Madrid may be cheaper than other Europe destinations. However, once you'd consider the additional fares of intra-Europe travel to/from the ultimate destination, any savings may be wiped out.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Can someone explain to me why SFO-LHR-SFO is pricing out at $1600 in economy when the entire outbound flight is empty and the return significantly empty as well?

It's pricing at a Q fare even though every fare class is open. W9, L9, K9, etc...

The fare should be 1/2 this price.

Fare classes

Outbound seat map

Return seat map
Old Jun 26, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Can someone explain to me why SFO-LHR-SFO is pricing out at $1600 in economy when the entire outbound flight is empty and the return significantly empty as well?

It's pricing at a Q fare even though every fare class is open. W9, L9, K9, etc...

The fare should be 1/2 this price.

Return seat map
I've seen this scenario before COVID, so I don't think it's anything new. In addition, with PZ6 (PN6 in your case) available, the fare is an actual bargain. I'd buy it right now if you have a reason to go.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice you were inside 21 days. That explains it.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 26, 2021 at 3:37 pm
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Lower fares if filed have 21 or more days advance purchase requirement?

Consulting expertflyer

No files fares below W
W fares have 90 day AP
V fares have 90/20 day AP

The cheapest 14 day AP is an expensive Q fare

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 26, 2021 at 2:57 pm Reason: APs
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Welcome to the Future.

On a general note; with inflation hitting labor costs, fuel and industrial/infrastructure commodities harder than I've seen it since the 70's, you should expect airfares to increase for the foreseeable future.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Gold
Is UA getting these fares? I'm trying to decide when to book AMS-NYC-AMS RT for a wedding (out Thurs August 12, return Mon August 16), ideally all in J. Been watching it since before the EU was open to Americans when it was $2k for the RT in J (clearly should have bought then). UA's now asking for $6.5k for the RT with J9 on both legs and an empty looking seat map. I keep thinking the price will drop again if I wait, since with J9 UA will want to get butts in the seats, but maybe UA is getting the last minute fares so I should just pull the trigger now...

Oh hindsight, always being 20/20!
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by zspitzer
Is UA getting these fares? I'm trying to decide when to book AMS-NYC-AMS RT for a wedding (out Thurs August 12, return Mon August 16), ideally all in J. Been watching it since before the EU was open to Americans when it was $2k for the RT in J (clearly should have bought then). UA's now asking for $6.5k for the RT with J9 on both legs and an empty looking seat map. I keep thinking the price will drop again if I wait, since with J9 UA will want to get butts in the seats, but maybe UA is getting the last minute fares so I should just pull the trigger now...

or you can just book with other airlines w/o unnecessarily paying for inflated fares.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is UA getting these fares? I'm trying to decide when to book AMS-NYC-AMS RT for a wedding (out Thurs August 12, return Mon August 16), ideally all in J. Been watching it since before the EU was open to Americans when it was $2k for the RT in J (clearly should have bought then). UA's now asking for $6.5k for the RT with J9 on both legs and an empty looking seat map. I keep thinking the price will drop again if I wait, since with J9 UA will want to get butts in the seats, but maybe UA is getting the last minute fares so I should just pull the trigger now... ....
To generate the same revenue, UA would only need to fill 1/3 of the seats with tickets at the higher price.
zspitzer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Last week the average price for United Business class to many European destinations was about $2300 - I purchased 3 Bus class trips at that price - I was going to book one to London last week and thought OK do it next week...the exact same tkt is $9775 today - and to berlin in August (I paid $2300 a few weeks ago) its $9,900.....what happened - the planes were pretty empty....???
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpr1953
Last week the average price for United Business class to many European destinations was about $2300 - I purchased 3 Bus class trips at that price - I was going to book one to London last week and thought OK do it next week...the exact same tkt is $9775 today - and to berlin in August (I paid $2300 a few weeks ago) its $9,900.....what happened - the planes were pretty empty....???
Either inventory changed, UA pulled a fare, or -- probably most likely -- there were advance purchase restrictions on the fare that you bought, and you're now within that timeframe. UA uses a 50-day advance purchase for many of its discount business class fares.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
It's not just summer. I checked today for R/T Palm Springs-SFO in late May, 2022. Fares usually $225-$300 but today it priced at $840 for coach for multiple dates. Alaska, for same dates and approximate times, shows just over $200 each way for F. Not a tough decision.
porciuscato likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by CalRef
It's not just summer. I checked today for R/T Palm Springs-SFO in late May, 2022. Fares usually $225-$300 but today it priced at $840 for coach for multiple dates. Alaska, for same dates and approximate times, shows just over $200 each way for F. Not a tough decision.
I've been booking a ton of Alaska F tickets lately; they're often cheaper than United "economy" fares and of course, the service is 100X better. After I hit 2 million United miles (early next year), 80% of my ~$50K annual United spend will be going to other airlines. I used to be captive in MFR, but thankfully no longer!
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
I've had good luck finding P fares for SFO-JFK-SFO during the summer and into early Fall. I booked SFO-JFK in P for $600 and the return for 50k miles (July). And SFO-JFK is definitely cheaper than SFO-EWR in my experience, which makes me worried about the longevity of this flight, especially with the high J 763 config.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I've been booking a ton of Alaska F tickets lately; they're often cheaper than United "economy" fares and of course, the service is 100X better. After I hit 2 million United miles (early next year), 80% of my ~$50K annual United spend will be going to other airlines. I used to be captive in MFR, but thankfully no longer!
+1 to this. For short haul domestic AS F has been cheaper than UA Y for many itineraries I've been booking/researching.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:38 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM

zspitzer - presumably you can enter the US, right? TATL is still affected by the US travel ban. Those flights are running very low occupancy and UA seems to be making it up with $$$ fares.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by djmp
zspitzer - presumably you can enter the US, right? TATL is still affected by the US travel ban. Those flights are running very low occupancy and UA seems to be making it up with $$$ fares.
Based on what I'm seeing it's picking up FAST -- my flight to FRA last week was nearly full -- and my return later this week is the same way -- and the pricing for my flights was about double what I'm used to paying -- if I didn't have to be over here I wouldn't have spent the money as paying over $9k for a business class seat is (to me) obscene -- but my co-worker, who flew AA/BA paid even MORE....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.