Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 411 LAX-IAD (5/2-5/3) Disruptive Passenger Incident

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM

This was a first for me, so I felt the need to share.

I was towards the front of E+ on the packed redeye last night and we had an eventful flight. There was one pax somewhere behind the exit row in E- that was sporadically having verbal outbursts throughout the night. Every 30 minutes or so he would randomly & loudly shout words and phrases and wake everyone up I got the impression that he was mentally challenged and Tourette's came to mind. If he had a traveling companion, I definitely felt sorry for them as he was very disruptive and annoying many of the passengers in Economy.

As we were preparing to land & everyone was waking up, his verbal ramblings increased until we were closing in on the runway. That's when all hell broke lose!! As we were crossing the threshold I heard people in the rear of the plane start screaming "STOP HIM". It all happened very fast and as I turned my head, I saw him running towards the rear of the aircraft & get about 10 steps before a stocky guy farther back rose out of his seat & tackled the disruptive pax. With some help from other passengers nearby they pinned him down in the aisle as we touched down. Mind you this all happened within about 5-10 seconds of touchdown!!!

Needless to say, airport police met us @ the gate. After the police passed us in the aisle, the FA's ushered everyone forward of the incident off the plane quickly. Those rear of the incident remained seated while the authorities dealt with the issue. The last thing I saw was an aisle chair being brought onto the plane to strap the offender to when they eventually got him off.

And the absolute worst part of the flight.... The 30+lb bulldog (service animal) that the standby sitting in the middle seat next to me brought on the plane!!! Sweet dog that introduced himself by incessantly licking my leg when he was wedged under the seat next to me. Unfortunately, once we took off, he proceeded to pass the most foul gas for the next 4 hours that had me close to vomiting. It appears that I wasn't going to get that much sleep last night no matter what

Last edited by FlyngSvyr; May 3, 2021 at 6:07 pm Reason: updated dog to service animal
Old May 3, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
...he proceeded to pass the most foul gas for the next 4 hours that had me close to vomiting. It appears that I wasn't going to get that much sleep last night no matter what
I experienced that on a DL flight DFW-PDX in 1993 (yes - I still remember the flight vividly) - except there was no dog on board. It's not like one can cross the street to move away from the offender.
Old May 3, 2021, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Wow... on so many fronts.
Old May 3, 2021, 6:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....The 30+lb emotional support bulldog ....
Unlikely an ESA as UA does not allowed them any more. Probably an in-cabin pet that should have been in an appropriate animal carrier. Not that this makes that situation any better.

Tough night, tough flight -- but you got a tale to tell next time out with friends.
kilo, Kmxu, BearX220 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 3, 2021 at 6:12 pm
Old May 3, 2021, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unlikey an ESA as UA does not allowed them any more. Probably an in-cabin pet that should have been in an appropriate animal carrier. Not that this makes that situation any better.

Tough night, tough flight -- but you got a tale to tell next time out with friends.
I meant to say service animal. He had a brand new looking harness with the service animal label.
Original post edited.
Old May 3, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I meant to say service animal. He had a brand new looking harness with the service animal label.
Original post edited.
hmmm ... "service animal" --- might be worth reporting to UA on the "training level" of that animal.

Does not seem you need to follow up with UA on the unfortunate individual.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:00 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
I would think a properly trained service animal would not be randomly licking strangers' legs. The gas part of it while unpleasant, may be difficulty to control.
SPN Lifer, BearX220 and lincolnjkc like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Steve Weagant
I would think a properly trained service animal would not be randomly licking strangers' legs. The gas part of it while unpleasant, may be difficulty to control.
As I have some knowledge of this, I can definitely state that a properly trained service animal should essentially ignore other people. Could you tell why the person had a service animal? Did they have some type of obvious physical challenge?
Old May 3, 2021, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Original post edited.
I own (and love) a bulldog. Love him so much that I’d never, not in a zillion years, bring him on an airplane.

Bulldogs are a brachycephalic breed and cannot breathe well in normal atmospheres.

I thought United wouldn’t transport a bulldog at all; guess I’m wrong. I know for sure they’re not allowed in the cargo hold, as they simply can’t tolerate that environment.

I love this mush face, but he’ll never see the inside of an airplane cabin. He’s a Premier Nothing.

Old May 3, 2021, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
... I thought United wouldn’t transport a bulldog at all;
You are correct, not as an in-cabin pet.
UA's Service Animal policy does not address Pit Bull breed dogs
Old May 3, 2021, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I thought United wouldn’t transport a bulldog at all; guess I’m wrong.
How does UA or any airline check, if at all? Pax shows up at the gate with woof-woof and boards. Does the GA ask or even care?
Old May 3, 2021, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
How does UA or any airline check, if at all? Pax shows up at the gate with woof-woof and boards. Does the GA ask or even care?
For in-cabin, I have no idea. I know that the PetSafe program (Where they go in the cargo hold) -- most definitely, they check. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...s/petsafe.html

You are correct, not as an in-cabin pet.
UA's Service Animal policy does not address Pit Bull breed dogs
Pit Bulls and English bulldogs (like my pal Buster above) are extremely different. Pit Bulls are technically terriers ...
TXJeepGuy, hhdl and nnn like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I own (and love) a bulldog. Love him so much that I’d never, not in a zillion years, bring him on an airplane.

Bulldogs are a brachycephalic breed and cannot breathe well in normal atmospheres.

I thought United wouldn’t transport a bulldog at all; guess I’m wrong. I know for sure they’re not allowed in the cargo hold, as they simply can’t tolerate that environment.

I love this mush face, but he’ll never see the inside of an airplane cabin. He’s a Premier Nothing.

I would be happy to have a dog next to me who is licking my leg all along the flight but I guess preferences are different....
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Kinda cracks me up that out of the story,the pet gets the FT focus instead of the violent passenger on the plane.
Definitely sounds like a bad flight overall. Great story to tell friends that think all this travel is glamorous.

For the OP - just a note that tourette syndrome is not what is being described, contrary to popular belief.
And it is a neurological condition, not a mental health issue with violent symptoms.
Old May 4, 2021, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
hmmm ... "service animal" --- might be worth reporting to UA on the "training level" of that animal.

Does not seem you need to follow up with UA on the unfortunate individual.
How would you train a dog not to fart???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.