Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:06 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Yet another reason the DOJ approving the US/AA merger was a bad, bad idea.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by teeceedee
If it does become price based redemption, I hope you'd be eligible for CPU's, GPU's, and RPU's accordingly since it's just another form of 'currency' buying the ticket.

Wishful thinking I'm sure
We all know that's not happening
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
one of the last areas where UA was superior to Delta. Now they will just be the worst in all areas. Wonder why we should continue to stick w/ UA. Hope they keep decent inventory at the current saver level
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by LBJ
DL actually removed the advanced purchase requirement for low tier redemptions from a number markets. I'm referring specificially to the 12,500 domestic redemptions. They did introduce a special new 10,000 mile redemption for select markets last month that does have a 3 week advance requirement.
I am curious about this remark. Did Delta follow through with the commitment to increase availability of standard (ie 12.5K) awards as a carrot to the stick of dollar based miles?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: 1k
If they go to a value based award ticket, a RT from LAX to Bangkok will be about 320,000 miles instead of 160,000.

Why not?
I actually can see this coming.
Maybe it is a good idea to start booking now into next year?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
Doesn't sound good. Curious to see if this has any star alliance award redemptions or if the current high rates stay in place.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by luckypierre
I am curious about this remark. Did Delta follow through with the commitment to increase availability of standard (ie 12.5K) awards as a carrot to the stick of dollar based miles?
Delta moved to 5 award tiers, at least before they unpublished the award charts. Delta has made a few statements about increased redemption of "low"-tier awards, but that would include the lowest two tiers. Although pure speculation, I'm sure the average mile redemption award has increased with the new system.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Yes. I value my DL miles now more than my UA miles, as DL's redemption levels are lower, availability is often better, and there is no premium for partners.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
There hasn't been much devaluation on use of miles on UA metal in the last 5 years.
Hmm. Seriously? Back then, it was one award chart for UA and *A partners.
No more.. not to mention the levels going up a lot.

Biz awards on UA ex-USA
Europe - 80k then, 115k now
Japan - 90k then, 130k now
N.Asia/S.Asia - 90k then, 140k now

But hey.. I'm not out to convince anyone on here. No need.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by mherdeg
(3) applying married-segment logic to award inventory such that while SEA-EWR may be available "low" and EWR-BOS may be available "low", SEA-EWR-BOS prices "medium" or "high"
UA already does this.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
This is FF 3.0

fF 4.0 will make award availability dependent on status. Forget being up front on award travel if you aren't 1K.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
This is FF 3.0

fF 4.0 will make award availability dependent on status. Forget being up front on award travel if you aren't 1K.
From what we've seen for UA so far, it would be the other way around. Only kettles would get low priced premium cabin offers.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
From what we've seen for UA so far, it would be the other way around. Only kettles would get low priced premium cabin offers.
I can let you know.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think there's any way of knowing. I just know that when the new program came out in Jan, all the lowest tier 12.5K domestic one-way awards seemed to require a 3 week advance purchase (other than partner metal or EAS routes). More recently, I've found 12.5K awards on DL metal, non-EAS flights with less than 3 week advance on a number of routes. So it seems that it is no longer a fixed rule and varies by route.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
The FF points have never been a big deal for me--its practically impossible to use them WHEN you need them.

Maybe better to trade all my points in for big screen TVs, sell them, then use the $$ to buy tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.