Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more 737 MAX waivers beginning April 7?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2021, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Just came across this article here:
https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...boeing-737max/

United Airlines will end its Boeing 737MAX waiver beginning April 7, meaning that passengers booked to fly on the aircraft will have no choice but to get on the flight or lose their money.
No source was cited.

I checked UA's 737 MAX updates page and it has no updates regarding such April 7th cutoff.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t/737-MAX.html
Old Apr 1, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
With additional deliveries and orders for UA and others, it's a case of when, not if. Daze
TXJeepGuy and Often1 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA (and other carriers') ability to claim back those losses from the manufacturer as part of litigation are likely at an end. Not sure UA will realistically eat those losses with no recoupement.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was UA actually booking losses due to waivers? I wouldn't think there's a relation.

But regardless, it isn't sustainable to offer a waiver forever. I'm guessing they have also taken a look and noticed they've been able to fill MAX flights, and so taken the decision to stop offering people the reassurance of a waiver.

Good question about when the waiver will end. I wouldn't be surprised to see no announcement, just a quiet dropping of it.
xzh445 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I'm sure it will come out that some minute percentage of MAX travelers were actually changing their plans after the disclosure.

The question arises as to whether that's driven by a lack of meaningful alternatives/choices, but the history of consumer behavior (especially in the airline industry) tells us that price, price, and price come long before (the perception of) safety as motivating factors in purchasing... especially in a low-yield, leisure-oriented demand environment.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by kevflyer

No source was cited.

I checked UA's 737 MAX updates page and it has no updates regarding such April 7th cutoff.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t/737-MAX.html
Yeah, no source cited. Honestly looks to be a click bait article with very little "meat" to it.

I have been on 6 MAX flights in the last few weeks & many have been full. My only complaint is the Economy seats against the window are tight. I am bringing a tape measure on my next flight, but I think the middle seat has more space between the arm rests than the window does.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I think the middle seat has more space between the arm rests than the window does.
Seems like a fair trade-off.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I have been on 6 MAX flights in the last few weeks & many have been full. My only complaint is the Economy seats against the window are tight. I am bringing a tape measure on my next flight, but I think the middle seat has more space between the arm rests than the window does.
"Hey, FlyngSvyr , you're listing to the right again..."

"Yeah, I keep sitting in window seats on United.."

David
nnn likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I am bringing a tape measure on my next flight, but I think the middle seat has more space between the arm rests than the window does.
No need for tape measure - as windows don't have armrests, I'm pretty sure your notion is true

As for a middle seat occupant, I always cede use of the shared armrest if I'm in the window or aisle seat. It's my recognition of the mental and physical stress I endure on the rare occasions I have to sit in one.
SPN Lifer, United747 and kevflyer like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 1, 2021 at 12:38 pm
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Confirmations are starting to slow up on other blogger sites

Big day for UA announcements -- UA giveth, UA takeaway
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kevflyer

No source was cited.
"will have no choice but to get on the flight or lose their money." -- not exactly unless the MAX has much longer legs than I'm thinking -- rather than being a specific waiver for the MAX it now just falls in to the "fee free changes" category with other domestic/near domestic travel, no?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: United Gold (pre-pandemic). Amex Platinum card member
How many people would be interested in knowing if their plane is a MAX or not? I figured most people don't care. Any sense of the split?
milski likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bradysimpson
How many people would be interested in knowing if their plane is a MAX or not? I figured most people don't care. Any sense of the split?
At this point I don't think that many people really care and most of those that care are purely "because I've heard bad things" rather than a high-level fear/concern.

Heck, my wife, a detail-oriented person who knows I'm an aviation nut and have very nuanced seating preferences/recommendations can't tell me half the time if she's flying on mainline or express, let alone the aircraft type -- "Is there a first class section?" "How many seats on each side of the aisle?" "Is there there an over-wing exit? How many?" "Are there floor-level closets/storage cabinets for carry-ons?"

For the record, I'm not actively seeking out the MAX, but I'm also not making any effort to avoid it. It's the one AC type in the UA/UAX fleet that I haven't had my butt on at least once yet, and given that the 738 alone accounts for >20% of all of my roughly 1000 logged flights (73G/738/739 together make for just under 40%) figure it's only a matter of time
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Suspect the lack of interest is a reason for dropping the special MAX waiver and instead just using the standard "no Change Fee" waiver. Does appear a few were using the MAX waiver as way to get a free any fare change.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
How many people would be interested in knowing if their plane is a MAX or not?
When I book flights, my wife still asks if it's a MAX or not. The plane still has an aura about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.