Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling To/From India on UA -- Experiences, Meals, Connections, Lounges, Bags, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling To/From India on UA -- Experiences, Meals, Connections, Lounges, Bags, ....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2021, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by rbaustin
For flights originating or ending in the US, DOT rules apply which says the baggage rules of the first carrier applies to the entire journey
Ah, that explains it. Thanks so much!
Old Feb 6, 2021, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by superboi
So if I understand correctly it is the first carrier's allowance that holds throughout even if the subsequent leg is on UA (and the ticket is issued by UA)?

I tried reading up on the "most significant carrier" rules but they're confusing af and seem to suggest that the international carrier's allowance would apply in these kind of cases.
S399.87
  • For passengers whose ultimate ticket origin or destination is a U.S. point, the baggage fees that apply at the beginning of the passenger's itinerary must apply throughout the itinerary.
  • Where the passenger's first flight is a code-share, the baggage allowances and fees of the marketing carrier apply throughout the itinerary to the extent that the baggage fees may differ from those of any operating carrier.
  • First carrier can apply IATA Most Significant Carrier resolution 302 if appropriate in which case that applies to all flight. (meaning the first carrier let/elect the MSC carrier to decide the allowance for the entire journey)
if i remember correctly, if ticket does not originated from or to US or Canada, it's MSC but with MSC allowance is reassessed at every check point. (i.e. when you have to recheck your bags)

i've taken advantage to the US/Canadian rule when i fly canada to Asia with the over water leg with UA for which the ticket is usually cheaper.

for example, booking with all UA flights or first flight on UA flight number operated by AC, i only get 1 bag.

However, if the first leg is AC flight number, i get 2 bags.
superboi likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
For flights originating or ending in the US, DOT rules apply which says the baggage rules of the first carrier applies to the entire journey
Just an FYI, CTA has the same rules for travel to/from CA as the US DOT has for travel to/from the US.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
What to expect in Polaris in March?

Flying to DEL on 3/17. Wondering what type
of onboard experience I should expect upfront? Meals and drinks?
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
I flew SFO-DEL in January and service was really good.
Foam pillow + regular and the big Polaris blanket, but not the small thin blanket. Pajama, bedding and slippers are available on request.
  • No pre departure drink was offered
  • No printed menus, the FAs give you the choices verbally.
  • Everything is pre-plated and quality was so-so, however it also makes the food service very quick!
  • They have a reduced selection of of beer, wine and liquor
  • Snacks in-between meals are very limited, no hot options
As a side not immigration and security in DEL was a breeze! Just have all the Air Suvidha forms approved and printed out..
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Great to hear about some of the extra amenities still being offered. I’m doing EWR flight which I assume will have same. Too bad about food.
air suvidha?

Originally Posted by YumYumcake
Foam pillow + regular and the big Polaris blanket, but not the small thin blanket. Pajama, bedding and slippers are available on request.
  • Everything is pre-plated and quality was so-so, however it also makes the food service very quick!
As a side not immigration and security in DEL was a breeze! Just have all the Air Suvidha forms approved and printed out..
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anandrag
Flying to DEL on 3/17. Wondering what type
of onboard experience I should expect upfront? Meals and drinks?
Short answer: same as in February.

Per recent feedback on wine selection: Champagne, and two whites & reds are back - albeit still no real glassware.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great to hear about some of the extra amenities still being offered. I’m doing EWR flight which I assume will have same. Too bad about food.
air suvidha?
https://www.newdelhiairport.in/blog/...ing-passengers

Courtesy of an internet search!
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by fumje
thank you!!
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:42 pm

thank you!!
This thread has all the India specific discussion:
India's air bubbles: is transit travel allowed - Page 20 - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Hi all,

I bought the following One Way ticket (starting with 016) using UA miles

PNQ-DEL-EWR-AUS
PNQ-DEL (AI850) is Business class on Air India
DEL-EWR (UA83) is Business class on United
EWR-AUS (UA2316) is Economy on United

Whose baggage rules apply here and what is the allowance? I called UA and they said AI's policy will apply, but internally their system shows 2 pieces 23kgs each. I called AI several times and each agent gave me a completely different answer (ask UA, 1 piece 25kgs, 1 piece 32kgs, United's policy...). The confirmation email from UA says 2 pieces 23kgs each (Could it be assuming AI's economy baggage policy since the last leg is economy?) , UA's baggage calculator for the same Origin/Dest shows 2 pieces, 32kgs each. I am totally confused and unsure how much I can carry and worried that I may have to pay for extra luggage if I carry 2 x 32kgs.

Thanks!
I wish I had come across this thread earlier as ua48/49 in and out of BOM is a routine trip for me as well as flying on AI in and out of PNQ. I'm going to say your limiting factor will be that AI limit. AI agents at PNQ are kind, but relatively strict and will most likely enforce that AI J baggage limit, even though that UA connection allows more. Occasionally they'll let you go over with the weight on a single bag (I wouldn't test this either though), however with a whole second piece, it's unlikely you'll have much luck since those agents aren't well versed with Star Alliance-related connections on the same itinerary. At BOM you would've had better luck because the same GVK contract agents who work AI also work United's night flight and are well versed with those rules and would be more likely to make some calls and work around it. Though at PNQ not so much. I would suggest sticking with 1 check-in bag if you can, but if you need 2, then take 2 but be prepared to pay the ($10-20 I think??) excess baggage fee that AI charges, though I'm not sure whether that second bag would get tagged to DEL or all the way through to AUS.

On a side note, not sure if this is your first time there or not but I hope you enjoy the quaint airport my hometown has to offer. But be careful with the camera, it's a military base and the military isn't camera-friendly there.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
I wish I had come across this thread earlier as ua48/49 in and out of BOM is a routine trip for me as well as flying on AI in and out of PNQ. I'm going to say your limiting factor will be that AI limit. AI agents at PNQ are kind, but relatively strict and will most likely enforce that AI J baggage limit, even though that UA connection allows more. Occasionally they'll let you go over with the weight on a single bag (I wouldn't test this either though), however with a whole second piece, it's unlikely you'll have much luck since those agents aren't well versed with Star Alliance-related connections on the same itinerary. At BOM you would've had better luck because the same GVK contract agents who work AI also work United's night flight and are well versed with those rules and would be more likely to make some calls and work around it. Though at PNQ not so much. I would suggest sticking with 1 check-in bag if you can, but if you need 2, then take 2 but be prepared to pay the ($10-20 I think??) excess baggage fee that AI charges, though I'm not sure whether that second bag would get tagged to DEL or all the way through to AUS.

On a side note, not sure if this is your first time there or not but I hope you enjoy the quaint airport my hometown has to offer. But be careful with the camera, it's a military base and the military isn't camera-friendly there.
Similar question but different cities.
Flying EWR-DEL-MAA-DEL-EWR. The EWR-DEL-EWR segments in J on UA. DEL-MAA on AI and MAA-DEL on Vistara in coach. Have overnight layover in DEL on way to MAA. Assume will be able to check bag through and will get full J since checking in with UA in EWR? Not sure what will happen on return when check in with Vistara in MAA.
Any experiences?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Have overnight layover in DEL on way to MAA. Assume will be able to check bag through and will get full J since checking in with UA in EWR? ...
perhaps not, it is UA's policy not to check-thru bags when there is an overnight connection -- this is a case where some agents will checkthru
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, we’ll check bags to the final destination on your ticket.

You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Was there any champagne on offer?

Sorry - just saw this:

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Short answer: same as in February.

Per recent feedback on wine selection: Champagne, and two whites & reds are back - albeit still no real glassware.
Was wondering which champagne in particular they were serving...
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Similar question but different cities.
Flying EWR-DEL-MAA-DEL-EWR. The EWR-DEL-EWR segments in J on UA. DEL-MAA on AI and MAA-DEL on Vistara in coach. Have overnight layover in DEL on way to MAA. Assume will be able to check bag through and will get full J since checking in with UA in EWR? Not sure what will happen on return when check in with Vistara in MAA.
Any experiences?
I don't think 2 bags would work here. As WineCountryUA said, UA's overnight bag rules would not allow those bags to be kept at DEL and then when you collect your bags to drop them off again, Vistara rules will apply and won't allow this even though its a continuation from a united J ticket. Then on the way back, likely you'd run into the same issue. I can't personally speak for agents at MAA as I haven't flown there in almost 10 years now and before Vistara was ever an airline, but I would say one bag is the safe bet if you can manage. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even be surprised if they don't let you check in the UA J baggage allowance weight at MAA since your first flight is in Vistara Economy even though it's connecting to United J. But I've also not connected from Vistara onto United yet as that partnership is still fairly new so I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Anytime anyone ever has a ticket coming into BOM/DEL, and connecting on an Indian carrier to another city within India, I always strongly recommend working with at most a checked bag if possible. This wasn't a problem back when Jet Airways was around and had a partnership with UA. Their policies lined up beautifully with UA so taking two bags into BOM and connecting to PNQ was never an issue, but with AI and Vistara's rules, one checked bag just to be safe, and mind the weight allowance of Vistara. Hope this helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.