Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For general travel info and inflight masking, see https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tions-map.html , not a list but specific route masking information. Of course understanding things are dynamic and hard for any site to stay up-to-date.

18 April 2022
"NEW FROM UNITED AIRLINES: “Effective immediately, masks are no longer required at United on domestic flights, select international flights (dependent upon the arrival country’s mask requirements) or at U.S. airports.”"

This from Pete Muntean of CNN
International flights where masks may still be required (from 4/24 post):

Argentina
Australia
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Brazil
Canada
Chile
China
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Ecuador
Federated States of Micronesia
France
French Polynesia
Germany
Ghana
Greece
Guatemala
Honduras
Hong Kong
India
Israel
Italy
Japan
Jordan
Marshall Islands
Mexico
Netherlands
Nigeria
Palau
Panama
Peru
Philippines
Portugal
Scotland
Singapore
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
St. Kitts
Taiwan
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos
Print Wikipost

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2021, 9:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I know vented masks are not allowed by themselves, but can one be used in conjunction with another mask? These days, I double-mask whenever I'm indoors away from home with one surgical mask and one filtered (and vented) cloth mask. ..
There was long discussion of this in Using a half face respirator on UA flight? and the reported experiences were as long there was a compliant mask (such as a surgical mask) covering the vented mask, you were fine (assuming fitting properly). Extra masking that does not interfere with the required mask seemed not to raise an issue in the past and not sure anything of the new regs would change that.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
I just boarded a UA flight and as soon as I boarded the FA asked if I had a different type of mask. I was wearing the neck gaitor style one. I replied “no” and she said I cannot wear that style as they are now not allowed on UA.

I was on a flight last week and this wasn’t the case, nor have I seen any news of it. United’s own website still says says face covering (except vented, and only face shields which has been standard for a while now).

Did the FA make this up? Or, did I miss the news?
I’m shocked! Shocked I say! Don’t you spent every waking hour searching for new government rules and regulations? Actually I heard about Monday night as it was being discussed as being an urban legend.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There was long discussion of this in Using a half face respirator on UA flight? and the reported experiences were as long there was a compliant mask (such as a surgical mask) covering the vented mask, you were fine (assuming fitting properly). Extra masking that does not interfere with the required mask seemed not to raise an issue in the past and not sure anything of the new regs would change that.
The new cdc guidelines strongly recommend against non professionals from wasting half masks on everyday use.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 3, 2021 at 11:10 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member
Old Feb 3, 2021, 9:47 pm

I think the issue is that gaiters and bandanas *can* be multi-layered and provide similar outgoing protection...but many/most are just a thin single layer, and there's no good way to verify at a glance. There were some at the beginning of airline mask requirements who spoke proudly about getting away with knitted scarfs and pieces of gauze hanging off their nose; it is definitely good for the CDC to finally give some standardized guidelines on this.

Yes, it would be have been nice for UA to add a warning to the checkin screen or something, but I believe they make some masks available so it's not like you get sent home with the trip canceled if you didn't know.

Double masking -- from what I've heard from people, if you show up with a reasonable setup already in place (vented N95 or respirator with a surgical style mask over it fully covering such vents) nobody's had an issue as it's obvious you've thought of and addressed the issue (if they even notice the vent under the main mask). Showing up without the full coverage layer, mixing through the airport that way and waiting until "caught" by a boarding agent and only then grudgingly saying you'll cover it is met with less tolerance.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 9:59 pm

From what I saw on news reports, the new mask requirement also applies to the airport and waiting areas. I heard someone from the TSA say that previously they had no enforcement authority and no way to force someone to comply with the mask requirements but now they can enforce it. So I guess that both the TSA failed to enforce the new requirements when going through security and then the GA failed to enforce it prior to boarding. And then the FA is made out to be the bad guy having to enforce the rules.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by arles
From what I saw on news reports, the new mask requirement also applies to the airport and waiting areas. .....
Correct
People must wear masks that cover both the mouth and nose when awaiting, boarding, traveling on, or disembarking public conveyances. People must also wear masks when entering or on the premises of a transportation hub in the United States.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by arles
From what I saw on news reports, the new mask requirement also applies to the airport and waiting areas. I heard someone from the TSA say that previously they had no enforcement authority and no way to force someone to comply with the mask requirements but now they can enforce it. So I guess that both the TSA failed to enforce the new requirements when going through security and then the GA failed to enforce it prior to boarding. And then the FA is made out to be the bad guy having to enforce the rules.
The FA was the first person to notify me, so that’s my first experience with it. I had heard news reports of the new mask requirement being on federal grounds, but I didn’t expect it to be a federal regulation that was required on airplanes and enforced by TSA as well, nor did I read that neck gaitors were not allowed.

I assumed the FA was wrong since this is a relatively new requirement, and for all of the marketing UA does regarding travel restrictions, mandates, voluntary schedule changes etc, they did not send me any info about them switching to the new federal regulations. I don’t blame the FA (or TSA, or gate agent etc) for doing their job, but I do think United could have done a better job of informing their customers since they seem to be so proactive in sending out emails concerning COVID-19 yet fail to inform them of a seemingly large change.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Um..gaiters are not banned.
eneq likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 4, 2021 at 12:49 am Reason: removed unneeded comment
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I just boarded a UA flight and as soon as I boarded the FA asked if I had a different type of mask. I was wearing the neck gaitor style one. I replied “no” and she said I cannot wear that style as they are now not allowed on UA.

I was on a flight last week and this wasn’t the case, nor have I seen any news of it. United’s own website still says says face covering (except vented, and only face shields which has been standard for a while now).

Did the FA make this up? Or, did I miss the news?
Yes, you missed the news.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The CDC has been saying for the past few months that neck gaiters and bandanas aren't adequate protection and shouldn't replace a mask during this pandemic... So I'm not sure why this is even questioned. Even if it wasn't law before, it doesn't matter...It's just common sense to not wear one in the first place, especially on a plane
EuropeanPete and Adam1222 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by imbisibol
Was on an Alaska Air flight BOI-PDX some 4 hours ago. They announced gaiters are allowed but that it had to be double layered.
​​​​​​This is the actual truth. Gaiters are not banned. The OP should have called bull on the FA. UA itself doesn't even know it's own guidelines.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cat88L3
The CDC has been saying for the past few months that neck gaiters and bandanas aren't adequate protection and shouldn't replace a mask during this pandemic... So I'm not sure why this is even questioned. Even if it wasn't law before, it doesn't matter...It's just common sense to not wear one in the first place, especially on a plane
Common sense is different from federal regulations. Before, it wasn’t a Civil violation to wear one that satisfied United’s requirements.

Now, United has to enforce a mask policy (that TSA seemingly missed). The consequence is worse than a civil violation IMO; it’s a travel ban from United.

Edit: the CDC also didn’t recommend face coverings to begin with, so I’m not trusting where their opinion may be in a month or two.
For reference: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...asks-in-public
eneq and MyFault like this.

Last edited by UVU Wolverine; Feb 3, 2021 at 10:48 pm
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:42 pm

Common sense is different from federal regulations. Before, it wasn’t a Civil violation to wear one that satisfied United’s requirements.

Now, United has to enforce a mask policy (that TSA seemingly missed). The consequence is worse than a civil violation IMO; it’s a travel ban from United.
Again, neck gaiters are not banned. That is fake news. Gaiters are not bandanas.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

I started this thread, and it has gone into the ‘mask vs. no mask’ issue (which, while I respect, I know moderators will delete or move). My question was answered since I’m not up to date on the daily changes we’ve seen with the new president.

I hope it stays so people can see that United has changed their mask policy (without notifying travelers that their policy is now regulated by executive order and providing a simple link to the order).
SPN Lifer and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The problem with this new policy is a loophole in the federal guidelines that allow someone to avoid wearing a mask with a doctor's note - and we all know how easy it would be get a note, and avoid a mask. While United must follow the new regulations, I don't see any penalty imposed for improving on those regulations and requiring a mask regardless. I don't see any reason why someone cannot wear a mask of some kind.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The problem with this new policy is a loophole in the federal guidelines that allow someone to avoid wearing a mask with a doctor's note - and we all know how easy it would be get a note, and avoid a mask. While United must follow the new regulations, I don't see any penalty imposed for improving on those regulations and requiring a mask regardless. I don't see any reason why someone cannot wear a mask of some kind.
That’s not even close to the issue being discussed. This isn’t a a topic about how people get out of wearing one but how new federal regulations have changed what’s allowable on board United flights and how United failed to inform its passengers of the new change.
Imstevek likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.