Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2021, 7:20 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by bigshooter
The prices I'm seeing for my travel (once or twice a month) are low enough that making it to Plat or 1K is impossible even with the boost. Not sure where all the high prices are being seen, but it could be because I'm in a AA/SW hub.

Unless there is a promotion beyond just extending status I'll stop after renewing Gold and maybe start giving Alaska or AA credited to Alaska a bit more attention. It'll be nice not needing to fly through SFO to get to Irvine
Check international P fares.

Also see that business class fares to Hawaii are about 50% higher than they were in early May.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Plenty of folks put $30k annually to SIN, HKG, LHR, TYO which are simply not realistic options the past 18 months for Biz travel.

Saying to add insult to injury they should then be 2nd tier to someone who spent $5-$6k this year to Hawaii, Vegas, Mexico and Florida and scraped out 1K, is short sighted and frankly ridiculous. Hopefully UA doesn’t follow DL on this point
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Saying to add insult to injury
Failure to make airline status during a pandemic is neither an insult nor an injury. Perspective, folks.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
My take: Qualifying 1K on any fare ahead of a 1K extendee on any fare. And ditto for other tiers.
That's what the person you quoted was suggesting.

I suspect that the effect of this potential change is being greatly overestimated by the people who are pushing for it. Fare class is the very last tiebreaker. now behind several that are generally invisible (have a Club card? Employer participates in United's preferred client program?).

Pre-COVID, my CPU percentage was north of 50% as a 1K, and I generally travel on G/K/L/T/S fares -- i.e., the lowest possible. I wasn't getting upgraded because of my fare class; I was getting upgraded because I travel at off-peak times and rarely, if ever, hub-to-hub.

Assuming UA IT could even get that policy right -- they can't; the upgrade list is a mess now, and has been since they introduced Premium Plus more than two years ago -- it's extremely rare that it would make a meaningful difference. UA is selling their F seats. Who cares if you're 20th or 10th on the upgrade list when nobody clears?

Last edited by jsloan; Aug 4, 2021 at 9:10 am
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
News today is that the business travel is still not where it needs to be.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/airlines-hold-to-a-business-travel-rebound-this-fall-11628069400?mod=hp_lead_pos7

Year to Date 8/4/2021 - Domestic Business Travel - 40% of 2019 level
International business travel is completely in the dumps and will be subdued for many more months.
Airlines are now putting hopes on October for domestic business corridors to start a full recovery. However this rebound could be pushed out further as major companies delay calling back employees.

In my opinion UA will be forced to run another PQP bonus program or partially extend status again.
Boraxo and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Failure to make airline status during a pandemic is neither an insult nor an injury. Perspective, folks.
Being unable to grow the business (or even worse. visit family elders) is injurious. Which is what I was referring to.

Setting the adjective aside, parsing UGs as DL wants to do (their newly announced policies borne of desperation mind you) is not smart. Thankfully UA IT is likely incapable.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Being unable to grow the business (or even worse. visit family elders) is injurious. Which is what I was referring to <snip>
And of course neither of those items have anything to do, whatsoever, with achieving/maintaining frequent flier status.

Regards
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EpsilonZer0
News today is that the business travel is still not where it needs to be.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/airline...d=hp_lead_pos7

Year to Date 8/4/2021 - Domestic Business Travel - 40% of 2019 level
International business travel is completely in the dumps and will be subdued for many more months.
Airlines are now putting hopes on October for domestic business corridors to start a full recovery. However this rebound could be pushed out further as major companies delay calling back employees.

In my opinion UA will be forced to run another PQP bonus program or partially extend status again.
is anyone really surprised to hear this?

I know there are a lot of people who say biz. Travel is back, I am traveling so everyone must be, etc. I don’t even think it will be back next year to the full extent it was before. At some point it probably will be, but who knows if it will be 2023, 2025, 2030+? Im pretty sure that if UA
Wants to keep a similar number of premiers in the medium term or beyond, they’ll really need to adjust the thresholds [downward, obviously]. It was the wrong time to move to a pretty fully $-based system (but who knew it, at the time).

they’ll have to do something for the rest of the year, what that os, we’ll have to see.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Silver
So do we still think UA will do something to help us keep our status? I'd love another year of extension, or even half a year.

I got Premier Platinum for the first time in 2019 (after 10 years or so having Premier) but haven't been able to use the benefit since everything went to hell in 2020. Forgot to redeem my 3200 FPQP earlier this year, and also missed out on the guaranteed PQP promotion. Feeling so bummed right now. Want to at least get Gold for next year, but don't know how I can get 3500 PQP before end of year (flying segment should be fine)
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:43 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by exp
Check international P fares.

Also see that business class fares to Hawaii are about 50% higher than they were in early May.
My travel is domestic and primarily west coast. I do cover Hawaii but not allowed to book business for that duration, and I am definitely not doing any international work travel right now.

What countries are you going to for work on a regular basis in paid business/first right now? I may have a paid ticket once i pick a vacation destination that isn't central america, but with entry requirements still a mess that's going to take some homework.

Either way it's still difficult for me to qualify for anything higher than gold with current restrictions. If there is a big promotion I might become one of those Plat/1K's that everyone hates because I snuck in instead of earning it the hard way. I'll take it though since I used to qualify for 1k on segments back in the good old days.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
And of course neither of those items have anything to do, whatsoever, with achieving/maintaining frequent flier status.

Regards
Having travel destinations closed to visitors has plenty to do with travel. Which is a component of maintaining status.

Something all US3 airlines figured out back in April 2020. Or else why would they have done anything wrt changing the premier metrics or extending status?

Originally Posted by kampret
So do we still think UA will do something to help us keep our status? I'd love another year of extension, or even half a year.
)
They have already indicated more premier promotions to follow (in email) and MatthewLAX was told the next promo would be announced last week (which came and went, sadly)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2021 at 12:52 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Plenty of folks put $30k annually to SIN, HKG, LHR,..
Well, plenty of companies do. Far fewer "folks" do.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:20 am

They have already indicated more premier promotions to follow (in email) and MatthewLAX was told the next promo would be announced last week (which came and went, sadly)
Was it an email by United rep? Or something more official? I'm intrigued now.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I will say it again, these are not loyalty programs; they are marketing schemes. The message is simple - you spend $ with us, and we will provide you with the opportunity to enjoy certain perks - don't confuse this as loyalty, it's called business transactions. Airlines prioritizing status qualifier over status extender is a good example of putting those who contributed into the company ahead of the line.

For most, you'd have the free will to fly the airline of your choosing, instead being tied down with one airline. The choice is yours.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I will say it again, these are not loyalty programs; they are marketing schemes. The message is simple - you spend $ with us, and we will provide you with the opportunity to enjoy certain perks - don't confuse this as loyalty, it's called business transactions. Airlines prioritizing status qualifier over status extender is a good example of putting those who contributed into the company ahead of the line.

For most, you'd have the free will to fly the airline of your choosing, instead being tied down with one airline. The choice is yours.
The only 'loyalty' I can think of is when you get 1 million miles, where you get Premier status for life. Other than that, yes, definitely sounds more like promotional/marketing.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.