Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
If you are in the US, there is no reason not to requalify. If you are in Europe, no matter how hard you try, you cant requalify.
It is March.

UA has already dropped the qualification requirements by an amount equivalent to about four months' of travel under the original scheme. They've also thrown in a bonus of another six weeks' travel for re-qualifying members -- or more for people who are able to meet the PQF targets.

Let's wait at least a couple more months before we start talking about how difficult it is for people to re-qualify.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by jsloan
It is March..
For sure, noone expects United to do anything now.

All that has to be recognized is that for US based elites - there are no barriers to flying United. For intl elites - its impossible to fly United, and probably will be for most of 2021.
gcashin and leoo like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
For sure, noone expects United to do anything now.

All that has to be recognized is that for US based elites - there are no barriers to flying United. For intl elites - its impossible to fly United, and probably will be for most of 2021.
I think you're making an artificial distinction between types of barriers. For some barriers are a result of government restrictions; for others health restrictions, employer restrictions, or otherwise. While it may be easier for UA to identify legal restrictions, I don't think it's in their interest to tell people "well, you could have flown, even at risk to your health, so no soup for you." Assuming anyone gets soup.

(And it's not necessarily "impossible" for an international elite to fly UA - one could fly to a UA int'l destination and then fly UA to the US - though I realize that's totally impractical and likely undesirable)
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by drewguy
(And it's not necessarily "impossible" for an international elite to fly UA - one could fly to a UA int'l destination and then fly UA to the US - though I realize that's totally impractical and likely undesirable)
iif coming from Europe, more like "one could fly to a UA int'l destination stay two weeks there and then fly UA to the US"
leoo likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
iif coming from Europe, more like "one could fly to a UA int'l destination stay two weeks there and then fly UA to the US"
Possible!!
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by drewguy
I think you're making an artificial distinction between types of barriers. For some barriers are a result of government restrictions; for others health restrictions, employer restrictions, or otherwise. While it may be easier for UA to identify legal restrictions, I don't think it's in their interest to tell people "well, you could have flown, even at risk to your health, so no soup for you." Assuming anyone gets soup.

Or not allowed:

United States: Entry Restrictions
United States: Entry restrictions

By Presidential Proclamation, there are entry restrictions if you’re traveling to the U.S. from:
  • Brazil
  • China
  • European Schengen area (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City)
  • Iran
  • South Africa
  • The Republic of Ireland
  • The United Kingdom
Customers traveling from these countries who are U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents or immediate family members of U.S. citizens are recommended to self-quarantine for 14 days upon entering the U.S.

Non-U.S. citizens who have visited the countries listed above in the past 14 days will not be allowed to enter or transit through the United States.
David
gcashin and leoo like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Christefan
Based on my current travel plans for 2021, I will re-qualify for 1K for 2022. What will be my incentive/reward over all non-flyers if UA will extend status to all members? I will still end up behind a non-flying GS on the upgrade list. That is not the way to keep my loyalty... How about a 1K+ status for members that re-qualify on their own just for the transition into 2023?
A key difference is Plus Points -- you will get a new batch of Plus Points for re-qualifiying, and extenders have not been getting new PlusPoints (although some of their Plus Points may have been extend -- as yours were also)
gcashin likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A key difference is Plus Points -- you will get a new batch of Plus Points for re-qualifiying, and extenders have not been getting new PlusPoints (although some of their Plus Points may have been extend -- as yours were also)
Extenders can still use miles for upgrades. I agree with previous posters - those who have continuously re-qualified should be ranked above extenders for both CPUs and instrument-supported upgrades. These are the people who are putting money into UA's coffers through the pandemic. It's not going to happen, but I can still dream....
Christefan likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
It is March.

UA has already dropped the qualification requirements by an amount equivalent to about four months' of travel under the original scheme. They've also thrown in a bonus of another six weeks' travel for re-qualifying members -- or more for people who are able to meet the PQF targets.

Let's wait at least a couple more months before we start talking about how difficult it is for people to re-qualify.
Given virtually all international flying is dead as a dodo at this point, likely for the rest of 2021 vaccine or no vaccine, I would hope United has some plan in the works at this point - nothing significant is going to change before Q3-4 and by then it's not realistic for anyone with significant international travel exposure to re-qualify.

Yes, I get it, there are probably 1 in 100 or fewer 1K and GS today who can qualify, so unless United is OK with a 90% reduction in the 1k rolls, they better have a plan in the works.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 11, 2021 at 12:14 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Giving people status in 2022 based on what they flew in 2019 seems crazy to me. I'm sure there is going to be some correlation between what you did in 2019 and what you do in 2022, but how strong? It's a two year gap during which time there have been massive disruptions across the economy - travel in particular. Who knows if people are still in the same job, whether their companies are going to need or allow the same level of travel, and so on?

United has already done a bonus promo, cut the qualification levels, and given people a head start. If travel continues to be soft they can run some more promos later in the year, but I think a blanket extension would be a bad idea. I could see a soft landing where if you didn't requalify they bump you down a level, maybe with a Q1 2022 fast track to regain your status.

Whatever the solution, people who actually qualified this year should be treated differently than those who haven't been on a plane since 2019. Yes, if you qualify for 1K you get extra PlusPoints, but people aren't going to want to burn those on every trip, and having to spend plus points to get an upgrade on a one hour Express flight over a 2019 flyer seems unreasonable.
Christefan and Repooc17 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Given virtually all international flying is dead as a dodo at this point, likely for the rest of 2021 vaccine or no vaccine, I would hope United has some plan in the works at this point - nothing significant is going to change before Q3-4 and by then it's not realistic for anyone with significant international travel exposure to re-qualify.

Yes, I get it, there are probably 1 in 100 or fewer 1K and GS today who can qualify, so unless United is OK with a 90% reduction in the 1k rolls, they better have a plan in the works.
I don't buy the argument overwhelming number of elites rely on international travels to qualify.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I could see UA, and the other carriers for that matter, doing a further extension of status. But, to earn PPoints, new substantially lower thresholds are employed. Doesn't cost UA anything and ensures that the numbers of elites remain roughly where they were pre-COVID.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by DELee
Or not allowed:

United States: Entry Restrictions

David

Am guessing the bolus of UA elites are U.S. citizens not subject to blanket prohibitions.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I don't buy the argument overwhelming number of elites rely on international travels to qualify.
On a PQP basis, hitting the 1K and likely GS numbers without international spend gets very hard unless you're flying UA every week domestically right now.

David

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Am guessing the bolus of UA elites are U.S. citizens not subject to blanket prohibitions.
Yah, but under these rules, you're still to do 14 day quarantine.

David

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 11, 2021 at 12:52 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Doppy
Giving people status in 2022 based on what they flew in 2019 seems crazy to me. I'm sure there is going to be some correlation between what you did in 2019 and what you do in 2022, but how strong? It's a two year gap during which time there have been massive disruptions across the economy - travel in particular. Who knows if people are still in the same job, whether their companies are going to need or allow the same level of travel, and so on?
I agree. None of the airlines want to just extend status. I do anticipate incentives like the current Q1 incentive plan to fly to continue with different programs. Maybe targeted programs to get certain people to fly again.

On the other hand, someone may blink and just extend status and the others follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.