Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Hawaii preclearance at all UA hubs: questions, experiences, ... New Process DEN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
The Hawaii "Safe Travels" program ends on March 25, 2022. For more information, please see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-state-hawaii-safe-travels-program-ends-march-25-2022-a.html

Wristband access
Most UCs
EWR: C104
IAD:
ORD: 7/17 UC@B16, gate@C16 || 7/29 not avail at UC@B6, yes avail at gate@B16
IAH: E7
DEN: online screening/verification then B34 or club
LAX: T7 customer service desk, around the corner from 70A
SFO: F15/16; Designated desk pre-security at Door 3.
SNA: Opposite Gate10

United Makes Hawaii Travel Easier with Expanded COVID Testing and Pre-Clearance Program

Customers traveling to the islands can save time by showing proof of negative tests at United's hub airports and skip document screening process in Hawaii

CHICAGO, Jan. 27, 2021
Beginning February 1, United customers traveling to Hawaii who have a valid negative COVID-19 test can show their results before boarding to save time and skip document screening lines upon arrival. The new pre-clearance process will be in place for customers traveling on 110 of United's weekly flights to Hawaii.

United is also making it easier to get the right tests to avoid Hawaii's 14-day quarantine by making approved COVID-19 tests available to all customers traveling to the islands no matter where in the U.S. their travel begins.

"We're making it easier for customers traveling to Hawaii to spend more time enjoying their trip and less time waiting in lines," said Toby Enqvist, chief customer officer at United. "Testing is the key to opening domestic and international travel so we'll continue to lead the way in rolling out solutions that are simple and safe so our customers have what they need when they take their next trip with us."

To begin the pre-clearance program, customers will enroll in Hawaii's Safe Travels program and complete Hawaii's COVID-19 questionnaire within 24 hours from departure. Next, customers will use the Safe Travels website to upload their negative test results from one of Hawaii's trusted testing partners which must be taken within 72 hours of their departure. At the airport, customers will see a United team member at the gate for their flight to Hawaii where they will receive a wristband if they qualify to bypass airport screening in Hawaii. Customers who have been pre-cleared will be able to skip test screenings in Hawaii and begin their trip as soon as they land.

For images of United's pre-clearance program click here.
COVID-19 testing for United travelers

Print Wikipost

UA's Hawaii preclearance at all UA hubs: questions, experiences, ... New Process DEN?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Huge THANK YOU for your heads-up on this option. I flew DEN-HNL 12/22. I got to the club and asked the normally very helpful agents upstairs what I needed to do to get a wristband? Was told in no uncertain terms twice "we don't do that anymore, it's a Hawaii thing, not us". OK, whatever. I then asked for the card with the QR code. Got that immediately although I was told "that won't help you for your issue". Scanned the code, selected Hawaii travel, and got a screen that asked for my confirmation #, full name as it appears on the Safe Travels site, and the last 4 digits of whatever form of ID I used on Safe Travels. 14 minutes later I was connected to an agent that had already taken my info and updated Safe Travels! I was sent to the Customer Service Center near gate B38 to get my wristband. Asked whether it was available at the UC or gate and told no. Got to Customer Service and the guy guarding the line asked to see my ID and Safe Travels page with both green check marks. All good, and got my wristband. I asked why the change and was told "lack of staff". Again, thanks for your help. It sure beat waiting in line with 260 other people coming off a 777.
strange is that both my wife and I received our wristbands in the club after doing the online thing. you’d think they can stick to one process longer than 3 days
Old Dec 28, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
Just an odd question, but the travel site implies I need to still do a test even though I uploaded all my documents for my wife and I. (We are both fully vaccinated with boosters) -- I used the Hawaii Safe website and AZOVA looks all good. I don't need to order the PCR test also do I?
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by philfna
Just an odd question, but the travel site implies I need to still do a test even though I uploaded all my documents for my wife and I. (We are both fully vaccinated with boosters) -- I used the Hawaii Safe website and AZOVA looks all good. I don't need to order the PCR test also do I?
No PCR test needed if acceptable vaccine record provided. Just need to fill out the Hawaii Safe Travels health questionnaire in 24 hours prior to flight to get QR code for wristband.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by philfna
Phil,
Hawaii requires full vaccination or negative test results-One or the other. After loading either to the Hawaii Safe Travels website, enter your trip information and then complete a health questionnaire within 24 hours of your flight-You’ll get a QR code at your email address. Finally, show the QR code to get your wristband at your departure airport.
My wife and I have found it less confusing to use separate email addresses for our Hawaii Safe Travel accounts.

If you don’t get a wristband, you must show your vaccination card or negative test results at the arrival airport in Hawaii. In either case, you’ll stand in a line.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by abacaxi
Phil,
Hawaii requires full vaccination or negative test results-One or the other. After loading either to the Hawaii Safe Travels website, enter your trip information and then complete a health questionnaire within 24 hours of your flight-You’ll get a QR code at your email address. Finally, show the QR code to get your wristband at your departure airport.
My wife and I have found it less confusing to use separate email addresses for our Hawaii Safe Travel accounts.

If you don’t get a wristband, you must show your vaccination card or negative test results at the arrival airport in Hawaii. In either case, you’ll stand in a line.
The HST site has been designed around the presumption that each traveler has a unique email address. Many families have one person who tends to organize travel but in the case of HST, with its design limitation, it really is best for each traveler to create the travel log from soup to nuts on his/her own. Takes extra time but raises chance of successful outcome.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by abacaxi
Phil,

don’t you need to use separate email addresses? My understanding is all adults need separate accounts - the only people you can add on to an existing account are minors.

As for lines, my experience (albeit from mod-November, so before peak), is that the shortest line, at least leaving from SFO, was the one next to premier checkin, with the one by the F gates and on arrival in OGG (we arrived around 12:30 on UA 777) both longer and about the same size.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 3:14 pm

Thanks for the information. I have the check mark next to our names in the travel center. I guess I fill out the health survey, and then try to get the wristbands in LAX (we're connecting) -- doubt anything is open before 6 am to get wristbands.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 3:29 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Quick question: Just uploaded vax cards for myself and 8 yo daughter. Any idea why hers shows no exemption and N/A? Is it an age thing?

Old Dec 28, 2021, 3:55 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Following up, I called Safe Travels and they said 1) she hasn't traveled with a vaccine yet, so that is probably why. Also, we haven't hit our 14-day window yet, and just to show the card at screening.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
IAD on Dec 29 got my wristband at gate 1 hour before boarding with no line, went to UC (where they asked if I had a wristband, so apparently were doing them), and returned to the gate for boarding to see a line of 30-40 people waiting to get wristband.

Odd onboard event when about to push (door closed), 1 pax came to front asking to return to gate to get wristband, crew called for anyone needing wristband to come forward (about 30 people lined up), pilot announced we would let those pax go back to the gate and door was reopened. It was odd because the crew announced we were returning to gate because a wristband was mandatory for entry into Hawaii (it is not), and the pilot seemed to imply the gate agents had failed to give everyone a wristband. After about 15 minutes of nervous waiting (I was worried this unnecessary delay could cost us an hour or more, some passengers were loudly saying those pax could get processed in HNL and at least one of those lined up agreed), the captain cryptically noted those passengers would not be going back to the gate and would be processed in HNL, door was again closed, and we were on our way.

Last edited by lotemblizej; Dec 30, 2021 at 8:29 am
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
IAD on Dec 29 got my wristband at gate 1 hour before boarding with no line, went to UC (where they asked if I had a wristband, so apparently were doing them), and returned to the gate for boarding to see a line of 30-40 people waiting to get wristband.

Odd onboard event when about to push (door closed), 1 pax came to front asking to return to gate to get wristband, crew called for anyone needing wristband to come forward (about 30 people lined up), pilot announced we would let those pax go back to the gate and door was reopened. It was odd because the crew announced we were returning to gate because a wristband was mandatory for entry into Hawaii (it is not), and the pilot seemed to imply the gate agents had failed to give everyone a wristband. After about 15 minutes of nervous waiting (I was worried this unnecessary delay could cost us an hour or more, some passengers were loudly saying those pax could get processed in HNL and at least one of those lined up agreed), the captain cryptically noted those passengers would not be going back to the gate and would be processed in HNL, door was again closed, and we were on our way.
You're correct. Getting a pre-clearance wristband at the departure airport is not mandatory.
I was on ORD-HNL on December 29. I recommend getting the wristband at the departure airport because the line of people who arrived in HNL without a wristband was much, much longer than the waiting line for wristbands at Gate B16 in ORD. At HNL, folks with wristbands go directly to baggage claim and those without to the other way and stand in line.

For those who have access, wristbands were available at the B16 United Club.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Flew through ORD and used the GS lobby, where I did get my wristband.

But it took a while --there was a large group/family oblivious to SafeTravels clogging up the lobby completely unaware that Hawaii had any restrictions.

How does one book a ticket to Hawaii and be eligible to use the GS lobby and not know about this process now?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
<snip>How does one book a ticket to Hawaii and be eligible to use the GS lobby and not know about this process now?
I'll bite. Because they have never and/or rarely travel to Hawaii and thus don't bother/care to keep up with all the various nuances that people on FT do? I mean, I'd imagine there are many, many people that qualify for GS without ever having flown to HI. Some interest for HI is due to international travel being difficult. There are many that could care less about traveling to HI if they could go to Europe or Asia more easily, but under the current circumstances HI may be a fallback option for them.

Just a thought...

Regards
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:57 am

I don't travel that much (at least commercial),and GS is granted through work to most of the C-level executives at our company. I used to fly a lot more pre-covid, but a lot less now. Also hadn't been to Hawaii since before Covid. To be fair -- its a valid question a GS who flies all the time would get that. I changed the info to GS-LITE ;-).

Last edited by philfna; Dec 31, 2021 at 12:05 pm
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'll bite. Because they have never and/or rarely travel to Hawaii and thus don't bother/care to keep up with all the various nuances that people on FT do? I mean, I'd imagine there are many, many people that qualify for GS without ever having flown to HI. Some interest for HI is due to international travel being difficult. There are many that could care less about traveling to HI if they could go to Europe or Asia more easily, but under the current circumstances HI may be a fallback option for them.

Just a thought...

Regards
Bull hockey. United sends EVERYONE specific info about what’s needed for Hawaii flights. I don’t think you can even check in w/o acknowledging the Hawaii requirements. They don’t have to search out info on FT, it’s provided directly to them. They chose to ignore info or thought they could b.s. their way pass the requirements. I have zero empathy for these idiots who waste the time of the agents or other passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.