Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Hawaii preclearance at all UA hubs: questions, experiences, ... New Process DEN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
The Hawaii "Safe Travels" program ends on March 25, 2022. For more information, please see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-state-hawaii-safe-travels-program-ends-march-25-2022-a.html

Wristband access
Most UCs
EWR: C104
IAD:
ORD: 7/17 UC@B16, gate@C16 || 7/29 not avail at UC@B6, yes avail at gate@B16
IAH: E7
DEN: online screening/verification then B34 or club
LAX: T7 customer service desk, around the corner from 70A
SFO: F15/16; Designated desk pre-security at Door 3.
SNA: Opposite Gate10

United Makes Hawaii Travel Easier with Expanded COVID Testing and Pre-Clearance Program

Customers traveling to the islands can save time by showing proof of negative tests at United's hub airports and skip document screening process in Hawaii

CHICAGO, Jan. 27, 2021
Beginning February 1, United customers traveling to Hawaii who have a valid negative COVID-19 test can show their results before boarding to save time and skip document screening lines upon arrival. The new pre-clearance process will be in place for customers traveling on 110 of United's weekly flights to Hawaii.

United is also making it easier to get the right tests to avoid Hawaii's 14-day quarantine by making approved COVID-19 tests available to all customers traveling to the islands no matter where in the U.S. their travel begins.

"We're making it easier for customers traveling to Hawaii to spend more time enjoying their trip and less time waiting in lines," said Toby Enqvist, chief customer officer at United. "Testing is the key to opening domestic and international travel so we'll continue to lead the way in rolling out solutions that are simple and safe so our customers have what they need when they take their next trip with us."

To begin the pre-clearance program, customers will enroll in Hawaii's Safe Travels program and complete Hawaii's COVID-19 questionnaire within 24 hours from departure. Next, customers will use the Safe Travels website to upload their negative test results from one of Hawaii's trusted testing partners which must be taken within 72 hours of their departure. At the airport, customers will see a United team member at the gate for their flight to Hawaii where they will receive a wristband if they qualify to bypass airport screening in Hawaii. Customers who have been pre-cleared will be able to skip test screenings in Hawaii and begin their trip as soon as they land.

For images of United's pre-clearance program click here.
COVID-19 testing for United travelers

Print Wikipost

UA's Hawaii preclearance at all UA hubs: questions, experiences, ... New Process DEN?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by frankmu
Anyone know what time the preclearance opens? I’m currently at SFO, and the place is empty. No signage on when it opens

/never mind, UC did it for me at check in
Normally it's 90 minutes before departure, but I've seen it 2 hours in advance since they try to group their Hawaii departure gates and departure times vary. The UC is still easiest if you have access...... and they have space.
frankmu likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 4:50 am

Programs: Continental, UA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
At SFO, two changes to pre-clearance since last time I was through.

1) there’s a Premier Access lane at the F16 pre-clearance area now, for those entitled. Neither time I’ve been thru was there a wait, so don’t know if it’s handy at other times.

2) those with UC access have option to go through the pre-clearance at help desk in Club. Handy if one doesn’t want to go to F16 to clear and then backtrack to Club.

on the latter, I had already gone to the F16 area, and the UC agent subsequently noted my destination and told me about Club option.
Thank you for the info. We’re taking the COVID test today and will fly in 3 days. We want to use the UA club prior to boarding and are hoping the clubs can give out wristbands.
Old May 25, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hanalei
...the clubs can give out wristbands.
They do.

I had an unexpectedly good experience w/o pre-clearance wristband yesterday. IAH-LAX Houston was delayed over 1 1/4 hours yesterday, but UA held LAX-OGG for 8 connecting passengers. Didn't have time to pre-clear, but arrival at OGG 4pm didn't coincide w/ any other carriers' arrivals, so I was able to get QR code scanned there and down escalator before some had even gotten off plane.

IAH-LAX FAs were also supposed to work LAX-OGG, but they were sent to a DEN flight instead and a substitute crew was already aboard LAX-OGG. NIce IRROPs handling by UA. Even received a text on way to LAX that the Maui plane was being held for us.
SPN Lifer and Hanalei like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 25, 2021 at 2:08 pm Reason: "sent">"received"
Old May 25, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Just got my wristband at SFO UC.
auandagbug and Hanalei like this.
Old May 26, 2021, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Heading back later next week with a 90 minute layover in DEN. Is there a particular place or procedure at DEN for getting the bracelet? I'm good with just keeping the QR code on my phone (and a paper backup in my carry-on) but anything that speeds me past the gatekeepers at HNL is welcome.
Old May 26, 2021, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Heading back later next week with a 90 minute layover in DEN. Is there a particular place or procedure at DEN for getting the bracelet? I'm good with just keeping the QR code on my phone (and a paper backup in my carry-on) but anything that speeds me past the gatekeepers at HNL is welcome.
If you're a UC member you can get the wristband upstairs in the club. If not, go to your departure gate when you arrive. They normally group the Hawaii flights close together and there are tables set up to process your docs. Either way is pretty fast.
opusx100 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Governor just announced people who received vaccinations in Hawaii can skip pre-arrival testing beginning June 15th. I'll be returning to Hawaii July 1 w/o having to test. Already have vax card uploaded for interisland travel, so pre-clearance will be a breeze.

Once Hawaii gets to 60% fully-vaccinated (2 shots plus two weeks), all fully-vaccinated travelers can skip pre-travel test.

Once Hawaii gets to 70%, all travel restrictions off.
SPN Lifer and opusx100 like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 4, 2021 at 6:00 pm
Old Jun 4, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Governor just announced people who received vaccinations in Hawaii can skip pre-arrival testing beginning June 15th. I'll be returning to Hawaii July 1 w/o having to test. Already have card loaded for interisland travel, so pre-clearance will be a breeze.

Once Hawaii gets to 60% vaccinated, all travellers w/ vaccinations will be allowed to skip pre-travel test.

Once Hawaii gets to 70%, all travel restrictions off.
My next trip is June 16-22 - I'm incredibly thrilled. I have previously taken eight $90 tests + rental car cost so this basically saves me $150/trip and sleep in.

FINALLY

I'll add - for those wondering, how far off is Hawaii from 60% and 70%. The state forecasts we will be at 55% as of June 15.
Rare and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
...for those wondering, how far off is Hawaii from 60% and 70%. The state forecasts we will be at 55% as of June 15.
That's about right. 60% have actually had at least one shot, so factor in 2nd and a couple of weeks, mid-June looks good for 55% fully-vaccinated. Governor is anticipating all interisland restrictions off at that time (no Safe Travels flight registration or even having to upload vax card).

There's a light at the end of the tunnel...
Rare likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
My next trip is June 16-22 - I'm incredibly thrilled. I have previously taken eight $90 tests + rental car cost so this basically saves me $150/trip and sleep in.

FINALLY

I'll add - for those wondering, how far off is Hawaii from 60% and 70%. The state forecasts we will be at 55% as of June 15.

I'm a fully vaccinated kamaaina who is also very thrilled with the Guv's updated policy. I'll be returning from ORD in late July and would be very interested in hearing how you deal with the Hawaii Safe Travels website. This will be my first encounter with the Safe Travels program.
Please share your experience.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kalakala
I'm a fully vaccinated kamaaina who is also very thrilled with the Guv's updated policy. I'll be returning from ORD in late July and would be very interested in hearing how you deal with the Hawaii Safe Travels website. This will be my first encounter with the Safe Travels program.
Please share your experience.
+1 I'll be heading back home on June 18 so also very interested to see how it will be administered. I'll post my experience, but hopefully we'll have a few data points the 1st few days that others can share.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 10:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The best place for discussing Hawai'i changes in COVID requirements is in the Hawai'i forum
such as
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...-policies.html
We discuss how UA handles those requirements in this thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModeator
Old Jun 5, 2021, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
+1 I'll be heading back home on June 18 so also very interested to see how it will be administered. I'll post my experience, but hopefully we'll have a few data points the 1st few days that others can share.
I'm pretty sure it will be the same as travelling (for example) from Honolulu to Maui now, except with QR code pre-clearance on the mainland. 1) add your inbound Hawaii flight info, 2) upload PDF of your CDC vax card showing HI vaccinations. I assume once this is done, the QR one receives shows the no test needed / no quarantine needed determination, just like travel HNL-OGG now. The only difference is one can get the QR scanned on the mainland and receive the wristband, unlike the HNL-OGG flights, where the QR code is scanned for everyone on arrival to Maui.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 11:06 pm

I'm pretty sure it will be the same as travelling (for example) from Honolulu to Maui now, except with QR code pre-clearance on the mainland. 1) add your inbound Hawaii flight info, 2) upload PDF of your CDC vax card showing HI vaccinations. I assume once this is done, the QR one receives shows the no test needed / no quarantine needed determination, just like travel HNL-OGG now. The only difference is one can get the QR scanned on the mainland and receive the wristband, unlike the HNL-OGG flights, where the QR code is scanned for everyone on arrival to Maui.
Thanks for the quick response. That seems like a reasonable expectation. Having the inter-island as a bit of a beta case for this, hopefully it will go that seamlessly.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Flew back to HNL Saturday but had to change my scheduled flights due to a mechanical problem with my originating flight. Got into DEN with a little over an hour to catch the 1345 flight (UA 1801) and went to the GA podium to change my seat (the CSR I spoke to over the phone when my original flight was delayed was good enough to get me an aisle seat but it was bulkhead and I like having underseat storage). I had forgotten about the wristbands and the GA for UA 1801 didn't mention them. As it turned, it really didn't matter -- I dawdled coming off the flight so everyone else rushed through the wristband and document checks which meant I just walked up to an open desk in the non-wristband section, showed my ID and QR code, then was ushered through. Got down to baggage claim just in time to see my bags coming around to me so it was grab-and-go.

I'll be glad to forego the pre-arrival testing for future visits home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.