Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Phone Scam Warning - New Reservations Center Tour

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Received a call this evening from a local number in the Laguna Hills CA area, a Filipino male with rather broken English, obviously not in Laguna Hills, told me he was calling on behalf of United Airlines and thanking me for my business and loyalty, and offered me an invitation to tour a new reservations center opening in Laguna Hills, plus for my troubles, a free round trip ticket anywhere in the USA with "no money out of my pocket whatsoever". I was busy and didn't want to continue the call to see where it would end up, most likely a request for a credit card number to guarantee my tour slot.

So, be on the lookout for this type of call and if asked, do not give out your personal information or credit card details. Now what I need to know is, how these people got ahold of my name and phone number and somehow associated me with United Airlines.
EWR764, Oxnardjan and JimInOhio like this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Received a call this evening from a local number in the Laguna Hills CA area, a Filipino male with rather broken English, obviously not in Laguna Hills, told me he was calling on behalf of United Airlines and thanking me for my business and loyalty, and offered me an invitation to tour a new reservations center opening in Laguna Hills, plus for my troubles, a free round trip ticket anywhere in the USA with "no money out of my pocket whatsoever". I was busy and didn't want to continue the call to see where it would end up, most likely a request for a credit card number to guarantee my tour slot.

So, be on the lookout for this type of call and if asked, do not give out your personal information or credit card details. Now what I need to know is, how these people got ahold of my name and phone number and somehow associated me with United Airlines.
How bizarre... I've almost made a sport of pressing obvious phone scammers on their crazy gambits. Would love a crack at this one!
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by EWR764
How bizarre... I've almost made a sport of pressing obvious phone scammers on their crazy gambits. Would love a crack at this one!
Ted talk in the same vein:

https://www.ted.com/talks/james_veit..._to_spam_email

David
EWR764, bosman and 1P like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
A reservations center in Laguna Hills? Thats some pricey real estate for a call center!
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
A reservations center in Laguna Hills? Thats some pricey real estate for a call center!

They will cut costs by exclusively employing the guy who called OP!
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Funny image.

However, almost surely the phone number was spoofed.
Originally Posted by fcc
Spoofing is when a caller deliberately falsifies the information transmitted to your caller ID display to disguise their identity. Scammers often use neighbor spoofing so it appears that an incoming call is coming from a local number, or spoof a number from a company or a government agency that you may already know and trust. If you answer, they use scam scripts to try to steal your money or valuable personal information, which can be used in fraudulent activity.
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...-and-caller-id
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by bocastephen

I’d love to go. I work for American Airlines. May I bring a camera?
bocastephen likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I'm laughing at the notion that these scammers think "tour of a new airline reservation center" is a pot-sweetener...
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by fumje
Funny image.

However, almost surely the phone number was spoofed.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...-and-caller-id
Oh no doubt. I work in commercial real estate, so that would have been my first subtle comment on calling the guy out as a fraud.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by physioprof
I'm laughing at the notion that these scammers think "tour of a new airline reservation center" is a pot-sweetener...
For many people on FT, it would be.

The call center employees are going to have long commutes, but they're so lucky that UA is hiring now, in the middle of a pandemic.
writerguyfl and onthesam like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:59 pm
Suspended

I've worked in the same building as a Delta call center for a couple years now, other then some nice gossip when they're on a break you definitely aren't missing much.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by physioprof
That was the part I couldn't figure out - it sounded too unreal to be a scam, who could possibly imagine selling this as an exciting experience? So for a moment I was really considering the call was real - I've certainly received my share of Hilton calls offering my legitimate vacation/timeshare experiences, so maybe this was really something. But alas I am sure it was a scam.

Anyway, I just wanted our community to be on the lookout for this type of call and not get suckered.
writerguyfl, SPN Lifer and EWR764 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
I've worked in the same building as a Delta call center for a couple years now, other then some nice gossip when they're on a break you definitely aren't missing much.
I worked as an RSR (reservations sales rep.) at SFORR for 25 months, including as one of the Top 10 Employees of the Year in 1986 — with a nice recognition dinner at the Westin St. Francis, where I got an expensive Cross™ gold pen bearing the UA tulip logo.

I agree. Even the most ardent MileagePlus aficionado wouldn't be missing much.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jan 24, 2021 at 3:00 pm
Old Jan 15, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At one of the FT Austin DOs, SOG Plats were invited to breakfast and a tour of the Starwood call center. Our group was filled to capacity even though status was carefully verified for the event. Personally, I thought it was interesting, although I wouldn't make a special trip for this.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.