2021 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2021, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Was the croissant warm?
no
Old Jun 5, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Maybe I missed it, but any recent experiences on the LIM-IAH-LIM route? Flying this next week, and wondering how much it's changed.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
Maybe I missed it, but any recent experiences on the LIM-IAH-LIM route? Flying this next week, and wondering how much it's changed.
Double-catered. Same Polaris menu both coming and going (beef short rib, fish, pasta). Packaged cheese plate and cookie on return instead of fresh salad and sorbet.

Interestingly, the economy class meal service on this route is the bagged domestic F sandwiches (served cold).
joseeantonior likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 3:44 am

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium Elite
I flew FRA - EWR on UA 961 this past weekend in Polairs Business and it's only gotten worse when it comes to onboard catering. I was on the same flight in Polaris in early March.
Main courses: beef, chicken or pasta. I decided on the beef and what was served was a piece of beef the size 1 inch (w) x 1.5 inch (l) x 1.5 inch (h) piece of meat, along with
roasted vegetables and potatoes. What a joke! The LH lounge in FRA is open but no catering. I wish I had thought about taking a 'to-go' box from there.
The best tasting item during the flight was the pre-arrival vegetable/couscous meal. The meal/beverage service is totally disconnected. Drinks come about 10 after the meal is served.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 5:16 am

Programs: BA, United
Originally Posted by tclem757
I flew FRA - EWR on UA 961 this past weekend in Polairs Business and it's only gotten worse when it comes to onboard catering. I was on the same flight in Polaris in early March.
Main courses: beef, chicken or pasta. I decided on the beef and what was served was a piece of beef the size 1 inch (w) x 1.5 inch (l) x 1.5 inch (h) piece of meat, along with
roasted vegetables and potatoes. What a joke! The LH lounge in FRA is open but no catering. I wish I had thought about taking a 'to-go' box from there.
The best tasting item during the flight was the pre-arrival vegetable/couscous meal. The meal/beverage service is totally disconnected. Drinks come about 10 after the meal is served.
i have this same return flight leaving on 3 July. Sounds grim. I also have a connecting flight on Turkish and hear the catering is back to normal so will be looking forward to that at least. Thanks for the tip on the to go box!
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by cricketer
interestingly I had hot bread on my SFO-FRA - wonder why it's not heated on SFO-LHR? Nice to see the fruit back!!
I think I recall seeing a very recent TPG UA Polaris trip report of the EWR-JNB inaugural where there was a regular looking pretzel roll. For the last year the pretzel roll was never one of the cold sealed bread options. Maybe hot bread is slowly making a comeback systemwide?

-FlyerBeek
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I think I recall seeing a very recent TPG UA Polaris trip report of the EWR-JNB inaugural where there was a regular looking pretzel roll. For the last year the pretzel roll was never one of the cold sealed bread options. Maybe hot bread is slowly making a comeback systemwide?

-FlyerBeek
I got a hot pretzel roll both ways on my recent Hawaii flights.
cesco.g and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
Double-catered. Same Polaris menu both coming and going (beef short rib, fish, pasta). Packaged cheese plate and cookie on return instead of fresh salad and sorbet.

Interestingly, the economy class meal service on this route is the bagged domestic F sandwiches (served cold).
That route (and maybe EWR-LIM too) has always been an oddball in terms of Polaris catering, at least in 2019 and early 2020. The southbound flight had shades of PS service: three entree choices instead of four, all plated on board instead of in preplated casseroles. I did not eat on both northbound flights due to the late departure and short flying time, but I recall there being only two entree choices.
joseeantonior likes this.

Last edited by dkc192; Jun 7, 2021 at 3:18 pm
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I got a hot pretzel roll both ways on my recent Hawaii flights.
Hurray! I'm pretty sure the return of hot pretzel rolls are the first real sign we're returning to normal and the battle has been won.

-FlyerBeek
iluv2fly, cricketer, SS255 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Am I the only one who is appalled by the lack of return to normalcy with premium cabin service? (Polaris catering) The fact that Polaris has not returned glassware or any other normal service is nuts.

I sent an email to Kirby on the topic- we’ll see the response. Every other Intl carrier is returning to normal service and now with the entrance of JetBlue in the Transcon and LHR market - what’s to keep us loyal UA people around besides the network??
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 11:13 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by under2100
Yes, hope it stays.

No hot bread, no sundae, cold nuts. As far as I can tell/remember, identical to (East Coast) transatlantic service I experienced in March. No mid-flight snacks offered (I thought there might be as a longer flight), and nothing laid out in the galley in between rows 5 and 6.
Someone asking about drinks reminded me - there is a new (to me) sparkling water. It has some fruity flavour, which was mentioned when I ordered. Sparkling water, not wine, seemed to be the popular choice, as everyone in my row appeared to order it.
Pre-arrival to follow (not happened yet)...
The bread is not hot but at least is not desiccated, either. I did not think it was too bad. Long haul as of May still does not have the hot mid-flight snack, like grilled cheese with tomato soup. My last flight I spoke with a FA who said they are getting many requests for it and have been told UA is working on restoring premium meals to pre-pandemic service levels. Apparently their catering changes take a lot of time to implement. He thinks it will be back by July or August.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by uanj
...... UA is working on restoring premium meals to pre-pandemic service levels. ...
How unfortunate.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Hurray! I'm pretty sure the return of hot pretzel rolls are the first real sign we're returning to normal and the battle has been won.

-FlyerBeek
Unfortunately, still cold. But at least the bread is decent!
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately, still cold. But at least the bread is decent!
I’m consistently getting hot packaged bread out of SFO lately, but not on any inbound or other hub departure. Clearly something about the SFO catering facility and their “ovenable” packaging.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenpau
I’m consistently getting hot packaged bread out of SFO lately, but not on any inbound or other hub departure. Clearly something about the SFO catering facility and their “ovenable” packaging.
I wonder if it's not so much the packaging per se, but rather the packing — perhaps catering is putting the bread somewhere that it gets "ovened" by default, such as on top of the main, rather than somewhere that it doesn't, such as on top of the salad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.