Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Passenger With Coronavirus Dies On United Flight (UA591 MCO-LAX 14 Dec 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger With Coronavirus Dies On United Flight (UA591 MCO-LAX 14 Dec 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
So this seems like really big news and yet I have only seen this covered in one place. Has anyone checked to make sure this is really true?
J_Stroming likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
While UA probably did no wrong here they do have an obligation that a passenger is fit to fly. Having some medical conditions, an intoxicant, disruptive mental health episode are reasons to deny boarding. Unfortunately, these situations are frequently assessed during boarding which gives non trained agents about 2-3 seconds to evaluate them.

One thing is true - we don't have all the facts but that never prevented judgement and execution on FT.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
While UA probably did no wrong here they do have an obligation that a passenger is fit to fly. Having some medical conditions, an intoxicant, disruptive mental health episode are reasons to deny boarding. Unfortunately, these situations are frequently assessed during boarding which gives non trained agents about 2-3 seconds to evaluate them.

One thing is true - we don't have all the facts but that never prevented judgement and execution on FT.
It's impossible for any airline to asses whether a passenger is fit to fly before boarding. If we take this too far, they'll be requiring everyone to have an EKG in the boarding area.
lsquare and SSF556 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It's impossible for any airline to asses whether a passenger is fit to fly before boarding. If we take this too far, they'll be requiring everyone to have an EKG in the boarding area.
Happens all the time. Obviously intoxicated passenger, vomiting in the waiting area, bizarre behavior, aggressive actions, etc.

My point was that airlines have an obligation to deny boarding when it is obvious and that some people are difficult to assess. In this circumstance, if the passenger was in a wheelchair, ashen, diaphoretic, unstable walking, short of breath, not able to respond to verbal cues, then UA should have denied boarding and has a responsibility to do so.

Reasonable is the word here and not assuming the bottom of the slope is where it'll go.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I think every plane in the US should be reqired to carry an emergency supply of N95 masks to open and distribute to all volunteer medical assistants, passengers, and crews, in the event of any respiratory or possible covid episode on a flight.
​​​​​​
The sick pax probably wore a bandana or 10 cent surgical mask.

from the time of the episode till at least medical staff offloaded the corpse (but more likely until after landing later than LAX) that plane was an exposure hotspot.

Likelihood of this happening is probably hundreds of times higher than needing a seatbelt or oxygen from the mask above.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by timbre
So this seems like really big news and yet I have only seen this covered in one place. Has anyone checked to make sure this is really true?
That's a good point. It's only on a couple of blogs, based on Twitter at this stage.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by timbre
The flight DID divert: https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...tId=1050289640
And the tweets certainly seem to support the story.

I would imagine there's not much information here that's available to the public since there's medical information involved as well as liability concerns. Not an expert on these sorts of things, but all the airline incidents I can recall hearing about involved living people who frequently went to the press themselves, or had videos and law enforcement involved. While I'm sure some people were ghoulish enough to record the resuscitation attempts, there aren't too many places something like that could be posted, I believe it would violate the policies of Twitter, Facebook and the like.

As for United's actions, I don't think there's too much they could have done in MSY that wouldn't have required an overnight delay. I certainly hope they gave people the option to deboard and be rebooked, as long as they offered that I think they fulfilled their obligations. Altogether a horrible situation for everyone involved. No pity for the wife, even if she didn't personally accept the certification you have to be willfully ignorant at this point to think it's okay to expose others to a known positive case. And even beyond that, with the symptoms the husband was experiencing they should have gone to a hospital, not the airport.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Since United does ask passengers to make a COVID declaration prior to the flight, I fail to see how UA can be held responsible for what happened.

If I were the airline, I would ban any passenger who boards a flight knowing that they meet the criteria for reporting a contagious disease and remain silent.
I do not think UA should be liable. I think the deceased's estate, and the widow, should be liable.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Originally Posted by tkelvin69

I am NOT convinced it actually happened. I can find no other place that has covered this story. In a period of COVID, it seems like this should be bigger news and covered in more than just a blog post.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
As much compassion as the couple showed towards other passengers by boarding the flight. They only cared about their needs.

The whole episode can be described by two words - "sad" and "selfish"...
No the word is "desperation".
Likely selfish, yes, but people should not be expected to act rationally when loved one's live is at stake. Just like we don't put parents in exit rows when they have young kids elsewhere in cabin - ther eis policy for that. And airlines can largely control covid onboard by requiring preflight tests but they do not want to.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Remember on FT
12.2 Avoid Getting Personal
If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Posts discussing other posters will be deleted

Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)

Additionally let's stay to the UA related issues, discussions of the large COVID issues belong elsewhere -- Corononavirus Forum and/or OMNI

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

PS. Let's avoid getting overly mean spirited -- its not becoming to the nature of FT and a individual, however misguided, has died.
nexus7556 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 2020 at 1:29 pm Reason: Let's avoid getting overly mean spirited
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by expert7700
I think every plane in the US should be reqired to carry an emergency supply of N95 masks to open and distribute to all volunteer medical assistants, passengers, and crews, in the event of any respiratory or possible covid episode on a flight.
​​​​​​
The sick pax probably wore a bandana or 10 cent surgical mask.

Interesting point re carrying masks. UA (and other airlines) carry onboard medical kits; I have used the UA and LH kits in the past. They carry basic PPE but not N95s that I have seen. Adding an infectious disease component would likely be a good idea!

Re the "10 cent surgical masks" - that is the level of infection control that is taken for the majority of situations, and do a remarkably good job at preventing or reducing spread as we have seen in recent research. Proper use of N95 masks (that are US/NIOSH certified as opposed to KN95 masks that meet standards in other countries, but have been permitted for use in the US during the pandemic) requires fitting for proper size. I have seen people wearing KN95 masks (I know, because they are marked externally) in many places recently, and a lot were not fitted or worn properly.
st3 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:43 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Has HIPAA been thrown out the window?
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
It's worth thinking about whether, in light of the likely overall community positivity rate & likelihood of asymptomatic spread, the presence of this one known-infected individual on the plane substantially increased the risk of infection to the other passengers.
SPN Lifer and meducate like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by raehl311
The wronged party was everyone else on the plane.
Originally Posted by Scifience
The wronged are the rest of the passengers on this flight, who were knowingly exposed to COVID-19 by this couple after they lied on a health declaration, and also delayed in their travels as a result of this couple's reckless behavior.
Sorry. I mean wrongful - wrong use of the word.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.