Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Phone call from United asking me if I want to switch flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak

This has probably happened to most of you a few times, but for me it was a first. I am booked on a flight 730 ORD-MCO for 7/19/20. I was called on Monday and the person asked if I was able or willing to change my flights. I explained my purpose for traveling to Orlando and politely declined. We are booked in first class. Do you know why they would call me?
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is your flight date 19-Jul-2021? Or are you describing something that happened several months ago? Or did someone call to ask you to switch from a past flight already flown?

(Those are all the possibilities I can think of!)

Generically speaking, sometimes they call when a flight is overbooked due to aircraft swap or something. Typically that is only a few days before the flight though, it tends to occur near holidays, and they will proactively offer vouchers (or they did in the past).

Last edited by fumje; Dec 16, 2020 at 4:12 pm
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Kirby wants to go to Disney World for holidays? Assuming OP meant 12/19/20, 1st three flights are almost sold out. Last one has plenty of space and even IN and PZ space.
ajGoes and Repooc17 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:18 am
Suspended

Back to the future?
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
No. I haven't had the pleasure of receiving any calls.

Airlines just cancel my ticket without offering rebooking options. Delta, I am looking at you!
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Steve Weagant
Do you know why they would call me?
No. But if you had asked them they probably would have told you.
DJ_Iceman, seanp7, gcashin and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
It's the 12/19/20 flight. We're booked in F for the early flight, and 2 members of our party do not yet have seats. I've brushed up on my GG OVS DOWNGRADE rules as a precaution. They called me earlier in the week asking to confirm our reservation.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rflor
It's the 12/19/20 flight. We're booked in F for the early flight, and 2 members of our party do not yet have seats. I've brushed up on my GG OVS DOWNGRADE rules as a precaution. They called me earlier in the week asking to confirm our reservation.
If you don't mind taking the 6:15pm flight, you might get some good $ and still be in F seats, otherwise you might get good $ and be in coach seats on the earlier flight. Charge UA a change fee to take the later flight
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Kirby wants to go to Disney World for holidays? Assuming OP meant 12/19/20, 1st three flights are almost sold out. Last one has plenty of space and even IN and PZ space.
Oh good guess, should have thought of that.

I would not switch in advance for less than $500 (per seat). If it goes to the gate, the offer will probably be higher than that.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
I did type the wrong date

I did type the wrong date. Sorry about the confusion. Taking the 6 p.m. flight would cause missed dinner reservations and arrival much later than desired. Then spending all day waiting for the next flight with nothing open to eat decent food, I would charge 1000 a seat to change. LOL.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I did type the wrong date. Sorry about the confusion. Taking the 6 p.m. flight would cause missed dinner reservations and arrival much later than desired. Then spending all day waiting for the next flight with nothing open to eat decent food, I would charge 1000 a seat to change. LOL.
IMO this is unrealistic. How many people are traveling in your group and what UA or *A status levels do they have?
Old Dec 16, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by fumje
Is your flight date 19-Aug-2021? Or are you describing something that happened several months ago? Or did someone call to ask you to switch from a past flight already flown?

(Those are all the possibilities I can think of!)

Generically speaking, sometimes they call when a flight is overbooked due to aircraft swap or something. Typically that is only a few days before the flight though, it tends to occur near holidays, and they will proactively offer vouchers (or they did in the past).
7/19/20 would be JULY 19, not August? Unless they use different month numbers around the US <g>

-RM
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you don't mind taking the 6:15pm flight, you might get some good $ and still be in F seats, otherwise you might get good $ and be in coach seats on the earlier flight. Charge UA a change fee to take the later flight
Between a D Fare, a Platinum, and a Silver in the party...I'm expecting we will have seats one way or the other on the early flight...preferably in F.

Although, interestingly enough...I'm not getting a prompt for check-in even though I'm within the Platinum window. Is this due to 2 not having seat assignments?

Last edited by rflor; Dec 16, 2020 at 1:28 pm Reason: Added content
Old Dec 16, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA MM
Are you sure it's flight UA 730? That's not showing up for this Saturday ORD-MCO.

Did UA only offer to put you on a later nonstop flight? If you're interested, I'd call them up and offer to make a connection (likely IAD or even CLE) in exchange for ETCs.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Are you sure it's flight UA 730? That's not showing up for this Saturday ORD-MCO.

Did UA only offer to put you on a later nonstop flight? If you're interested, I'd call them up and offer to make a connection (likely IAD or even CLE) in exchange for ETCs.
It was definitely showing a little over 2 hours ago with 1 seat left in coach. Doesn't show now. Maybe so overbooked it doesn't show in search results now? Or cancelled? Maybe storm is causing problems w/ a/c placement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.