Search

UA Premium Economy SFO-SIN?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
UA Premium Economy SFO-SIN?

I think I read on TPG that UA is going through the process of updating its 787s to their latest configuration which includes PY. A quick search for SFO-SIN show no PY availability in the fall of 2021. Am I searching properly?
Old Nov 28, 2020, 2:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
I think I read on TPG that UA is going through the process of updating its 787s to their latest configuration which includes PY. A quick search for SFO-SIN show no PY availability in the fall of 2021. Am I searching properly?
Yes, UA is adding PremiumPlus to the 787 fleet, but it is far from complete and the 787-9 (used for the SIN flight) is the least complete sub-fleet. UA will not start selling PremPlus until it can be assured it has enough aircraft to guanrantee access on a route (it is doing this ona route by route basis)

Additionally any schedule or equipment you see that far out are just placeholders -- note it is still showing 2 daily non-stops that far out.

When could UA start offering PremPlus on the SIN route??? next month, next quarter, late next year, 2022, ... UA has not stated a timelframe for that route.
lsquare and nexus7556 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, UA is adding PremiumPlus to the 787 fleet, but it is far from complete and the 787-9 (used for the SIN flight) is the least complete sub-fleet. UA will not start selling PremPlus until it can be assured it has enough aircraft to guanrantee access on a route (it is doing this ona route by route basis)

Additionally any schedule or equipment you see that far out are just placeholders -- note it is still showing 2 daily non-stops that far out.

When could UA start offering PremPlus on the SIN route??? next month, next quarter, late next year, 2022, ... UA has not stated a timelframe for that route.
I understand. I was searching just to get a sense of what pricing will be like.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS G100K, UA Silver
I understand. I was searching just to get a sense of what pricing will be like.
I've been waiting for this for a long while now... you can assume the pricing will probably be the same as NH from USA-NRT-SIN
I'm a bit surprised UA hasn't dedicated some of the retrofitted 789s to this route already so they could sell PE...
lsquare and nexus7556 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I've been waiting for this for a long while now... you can assume the pricing will probably be the same as NH from USA-NRT-SIN
I'm a bit surprised UA hasn't dedicated some of the retrofitted 789s to this route already so they could sell PE...
Why? NH have a JV with UA?
Old Nov 28, 2020, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I don't think UA has enough demand to dedicate any plane to any single route right now -- demand is just too fragile and changes too often...
Old Nov 28, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Textile
I don't think UA has enough demand to dedicate any plane to any single route right now -- demand is just too fragile and changes too often...
It doesn't have to be now. UA didn't even have PY Pre-COVID.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 3:33 pm

Why? NH have a JV with UA?
yes*, the pricing will be the same due to the JV and NH/UA filing the same fare basis

*specific flights may appear to be more expensive due to fare bucket differences, you can try to force availability on the other farebasis ticketing on 016 via gflights

there was a period this year where UA was charging YQ./YR while NH wasn't - now both aren't charging YQ/YR
jsloan, SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 6:45 pm

by this logic, why would you expect UA to have pricing for PE on this route?
Old Nov 28, 2020, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myperks
by this logic, why would you expect UA to have pricing for PE on this route?
To have an idea of how much it'll cost to fly that route? I already know what Y and J is like.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 7:08 pm

To have an idea of how much it'll cost to fly that route? I already know what Y and J is like.
So you expect UA to price a cabin for a route that doesn’t have that cabin? I’m so confused.

as others said, look at the JV pricing with a stop in narita connecting to ANA, or look at SQ nonstop. Should be on par if not a little less than SQ. I am expecting PE for the route, once UA makes it official, to be in high high high demand for all the contracts out of SFO, plus would be an upgrade battleground.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So you expect UA to price a cabin for a route that doesn’t have that cabin? I’m so confused.

as others said, look at the JV pricing with a stop in narita connecting to ANA, or look at SQ nonstop. Should be on par if not a little less than SQ. I am expecting PE for the route, once UA makes it official, to be in high high high demand for all the contracts out of SFO, plus would be an upgrade battleground.
Did you read the OP? There was an announcement and it prompted me to search to get an idea of pricing. I knew they had no PY before thanks to someone at FT informing me.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 7:21 pm

Did you read the OP? There was an announcement and it prompted me to search to get an idea of pricing. I knew they had no PY before thanks to someone at FT informing me.

announcement of what? That UA is retrofitting 787s? I don’t think the announcement was on SIN route having PE. I was only responding to your reply saying you knew there was no PE but wanted to know the pricing of PE for this route. Anyways... it’ll be a while.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 7:23 pm
Suspended

I think you misunderstood what I meant -- UA has planes with PY that can fly that route, but there is such chaos currently that they aren't going to bother loading fares into the system for something they don't even offer now. Yes it will come eventually -- it's just not a priority now -- and yes UA has a JV with NH -- that's why their Y and J fares coincide for TPAC (except for occasional differences in bucket availability). However, cince NH does not fly from the US to SIN direct -- there is no direct proxy - but looking at SQ will give you a good idea of what to expect - possibly a bit cheaper....
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

announcement of what? That UA is retrofitting 787s? I don’t think the announcement was on SIN route having PE. I was only responding to your reply saying you knew there was no PE but wanted to know the pricing of PE for this route. Anyways... it’ll be a while.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...aris-retrofit/

Then there are 25 of the longer-range 787-9s flying for United, delivered between 2014 and 2018 and now operating key routes, such as:
  • Houston (IAH)-London (LHR)
  • Houston (IAH)-Sydney (SYD)
  • Los Angeles (LAX)-Melbourne (MEL)
  • Los Angeles (LAX)-Tokyo (NRT)
  • San Francisco (SFO)-Singapore (SIN)
  • San Francisco (SFO)-Shanghai (PVG)
Both retrofitted models will include United’s true premium-economy product, branded as Premium Plus, with seats in the same 2-3-2 arrangement that you’ll find on the 787-10.
While it’s not yet clear exactly when and where the new configuration will launch, I’d put my money on it quickly becoming a staple on United’s San Francisco-Singapore flights, given the premium demand for that particular market. Personally, I prefer United’s Polaris seat over Singapore’s product on the Airbus A350, due to the limited seat recline (when not in full bed mode) and the small footwell. While I’d miss Singapore’s superior service, a retrofitted United 787-9 feels like the better pick to me.

United expects the first retrofitted 787-8 Dreamliner to enter service in December 2019, with the 787-9 following a few months behind, in early 2020. Retrofitted aircraft will simply be worked into the mix initially, and they’ll be assigned to specific flights once enough become available to operate consistent service.
Maybe I misinterpreted something then.

Originally Posted by Textile
I think you misunderstood what I meant -- UA has planes with PY that can fly that route, but there is such chaos currently that they aren't going to bother loading fares into the system for something they don't even offer now. Yes it will come eventually -- it's just not a priority now -- and yes UA has a JV with NH -- that's why their Y and J fares coincide for TPAC (except for occasional differences in bucket availability). However, cince NH does not fly from the US to SIN direct -- there is no direct proxy - but looking at SQ will give you a good idea of what to expect - possibly a bit cheaper....
Oh, gotcha. I haven't flown SQ on that route before, but I'm a big fan of the A350. Too bad SQ flights doesn't count toward UA's MM program. What a shame...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 28, 2020 at 8:13 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.