Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United flights to Australia (2021) extremely expensive / limited space available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United flights to Australia (2021) extremely expensive / limited space available

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I don’t believe that unless a source suggests otherwise. I doubt any of the international flights are profitable - cargo helps, but profitable, doubt it.
They are (were for some time) flying passenger empty flights just for cargo.... (Pilots only, no FA's)
I was on SFO->SYD at the end of May, total of 21 paying passengers, I talked to the pilots before takeoff and they confirmed the cargo hold was full at we were at max take off weight for the trip, he also said the return flights were the same
You are leaving behind 230+ passengers and their baggage and food and drinks etc... so you can then take a ~100,000LB of cargo which at $4LB is $0.4Mil+ (premium possibly higher since its direct....)
Flight runs 10-20K per hour of operation (typical charter costs on a 787-9) so even on the high end... $0.28M for operating the flight, you still have good profit until cargo prices drop...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: United 1MM
How do connecting flights after quarantining port of entry work? If I have, LAX-SYD-MEL (UA then Qantas or Jetstar domestic) and have to quarantine at SYD for 14 days, does the SYD-MEL on Qantas or Jetstar become automatically cancelled? Or, does United rebook them for you and if so, does that mean baggage allowances from the initial international ticket carry through?

I called United and spoke to someone who didn't sound overly confident. I was told that if the connection is interrupted by quarantine, that the domestic leg is then cancelled. The suggestion was to purchase a ticket only to the port of entry, then buy a separate ticket for after quarantining.

I am now applying for an exemption to leave Australia in 6 weeks and to return in late Jan or so. The return flights with LAX-MEL direct are in excess of $10K AUD until sometime in February.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by briank1973
How do connecting flights after quarantining port of entry work? If I have, LAX-SYD-MEL (UA then Qantas or Jetstar domestic) and have to quarantine at SYD for 14 days, does the SYD-MEL on Qantas or Jetstar become automatically cancelled? Or, does United rebook them for you and if so, does that mean baggage allowances from the initial international ticket carry through?
One way or another, you're not going to be catching a connecting flight after flying LAX-SYD (presuming the rules don't change before your travel date). The mandatory quarantining occurs in your port of arrival, so that would be Sydney.

If you were to book it and then "miss" your connection, your ticket would be gone. It's unlikely either UA or QF would be interested in re-instating the ticket after the fact (and there's less than zero chance JQ would). If you were to contact them before departure it's likely UA would change the date for the connecting flight, although there's no guarantee that they would even be it wouldn't trigger a re-pricing (depending on on the fare rules).

The other option would be to look for routes via Asia that can drop you straight into MEL and quarantine there. Further flying overall, but no need to have two distinct trips.

A second ticket for the domestic leg would make far more sense - although realistically it's had to say with certainty because nobody really know what's the quarantine/quota rules are going to be like in January.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:44 pm

Programs: United 1MM
Thanks docbert. That confirms it. The JQ jab was funny (and warranted!). They're no Tiger Air though. :-)

I think I'll try and fly back later and get a LAX-MEL flight. All of this is assuming, of course, the ABF approves my exemption application.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks docbert. That confirms it. The JQ jab was funny (and warranted!). They're no Tiger Air though. :-)

I think I'll try and fly back later and get a LAX-MEL flight. All of this is assuming, of course, the ABF approves my exemption application.
MEL quarantine certainly makes the most sense, but if the pricing on the nonstop MEL flight remains outrageous and your primary concern is the luggage allowance, I'm sure you can find a way to ship your excess bags from Sydney to Melbourne at the end of your quarantine period.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An "exemption to leave" has a 3 month validity from date of issue. If the flight details change no need to reapply.
For this trip late Sept AU-->USA and then late Jan USA-->AU, I think you biggest problem will be getting an affordable USA-AU flight. I would not be that hopeful or depend on a non stop LAX/SFO-MEL flight, even in late Jan 2020. AA DL UA are only flying to SYD now. QF may be flying to/from USA in early 2022, but would not bet on that.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:10 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
They are (were for some time) flying passenger empty flights just for cargo.... (Pilots only, no FA's)
I was on SFO->SYD at the end of May, total of 21 paying passengers, I talked to the pilots before takeoff and they confirmed the cargo hold was full at we were at max take off weight for the trip, he also said the return flights were the same
You are leaving behind 230+ passengers and their baggage and food and drinks etc... so you can then take a ~100,000LB of cargo which at $4LB is $0.4Mil+ (premium possibly higher since its direct....)
Flight runs 10-20K per hour of operation (typical charter costs on a 787-9) so even on the high end... $0.28M for operating the flight, you still have good profit until cargo prices drop...
If the flight is cargo only, there are still FAs onboard, albeit below FAA staffing requirements.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
https://www.afr.com/policy/health-an...0210831-p58njr

Arrivals into SYD have been cut again to 750 a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.