Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

With low TATL pax loads, is it a better value to fly J, or economy with an empty row?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

With low TATL pax loads, is it a better value to fly J, or economy with an empty row?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2020, 11:47 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
One other data point is lounge access. If you are not *G you would get lounge access with a J ticket but not Y. Also if you are going back all of the Polaris lounges are closed and that would have been a benefit of the J ticket out of ORD or EWR. Not clear on if the arrivals lounge in FRA is open, that would also require a J class ticket.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Ted
One other data point is lounge access. If you are not *G you would get lounge access with a J ticket but not Y. Also if you are going back all of the Polaris lounges are closed and that would have been a benefit of the J ticket out of ORD or EWR. Not clear on if the arrivals lounge in FRA is open, that would also require a J class ticket.
Not much exclusivity in lounges right now though to make that a deal breaker...
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by yst33
Unrelated, I still can't figure out if I would have FRA lounge availability with a J seat (non-schengen lounge open?), but for the paltry lounge food offerings of late and the generally empty airports, it probably doesn't matter a ton either way.
Flights to the USA still usually go from FRA Z which has no lounges open. You could go into A for the lounge, then go through passport control inside security to get to Z.

Originally Posted by Ted
Not clear on if the arrivals lounge in FRA is open, that would also require a J class ticket.
FRA arrivals lounge is still closed.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cmd320
Agreed for sure. Though I don’t think LH A380s are on the table right now.
Indeed. Looks like they are all going to long term storage, unlikely to come back.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would strongly favor a real J product; LH UD sounds nice.

The J seat is significantly more comfortable, but I think crucially here it's that the currency is miles which given the current landscape aren't the most secure value. I would leap at the chance to use them for something worthwhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.