Wiki Posts
Search

How to waitlist J Intl when J0

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2020, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
How to waitlist J Intl when J0

I am trying to get on UA 84 on 9/29 only to have J0. Called GS and was told the option to waitlist revenue J doesn’t exist anymore. I’ve done this successfully in the past before. To be clear I am willing to pay but am told only way was to purchase Y and use an instrument to WL to J. Or just keep checking back for available inventory. This doesn’t make sense why UA would rather collect Y revenue vs J. Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Doesn't UA avoid avoid overselling J, which they would be doing if they sold you a J ticket w/ J=0?
Old Sep 7, 2020, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Doesn't UA avoid avoid overselling J, which they would be doing if they sold you a J ticket w/ J=0?

yes. Of course. But in the past I would purchase a J fare, be ticketed in Y and revenue waitlisted for J. Which in essence guaranteed number 1 on the list. Also the moment any J space opened it would immediately and automatically grab the seat. Versus award or instrument waitlist which is looking for a different class to open.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
call again, they should be able to waitlist for J. You can buy Y and put in a waitlist for J. Once J becomes available you'll have to pay for J.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
call again, they should be able to waitlist for J. ....
Never, never assume the word of one agent is UA policy especially if this is something you have done in the past. Sometimes agents that don't know how to do something and make up really odd "policies"

You get 2 - 3 refusals for the same reason, then we might talk about a policy change.

Also, there may be a limit t the size of the waitlist and then the system may refuse to allow another waitlister.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
The waitlist for J-class is still open. There is one seat left for sale on the later flight as well. Nothing in the JX1 fare prohibiting waitlist reservations either.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah, it's definitely possible in the computer, but I don't know the magic words to make an agent do it. Definitely a HUCA case I think.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by findark
Yeah, it's definitely possible in the computer, but I don't know the magic words to make an agent do it. Definitely a HUCA case I think.
The magic words are travel agent.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

call again, they should be able to waitlist for J. You can buy Y and put in a waitlist for J. Once J becomes available you'll have to pay for J.

HUCA and low and behold was able to waitlist J.....just for the record....agent said need to pay for J and then if it doesn't clear you will get a refund....not pay Y and then pay the differential upon clearing......
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by saccoNY
HUCA ...
In for the win again and for MOLA
Old Sep 8, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
HUCA and low and behold was able to waitlist J.....just for the record....agent said need to pay for J and then if it doesn't clear you will get a refund....not pay Y and then pay the differential upon clearing......
How does this work? Do you have to pay for J based on the actual "full-fare" J fare that is filed, or can you do this with lower booking classes (i.e. Z/P)?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have expected that to be the standard procedure. Are you suggesting that's changed?

Originally Posted by econ
How does this work? Do you have to pay for J based on the actual "full-fare" J fare that is filed, or can you do this with lower booking classes (i.e. Z/P)?
SHARES would allow you to waitlist on any fare. However, per UA policy, you can only waitlist for J/O/Y (full-fare). They don't really want people waitlisting P fares.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by jsloan
SHARES would allow you to waitlist on any fare. However, per UA policy, you can only waitlist for J/O/Y (full-fare). They don't really want people waitlisting P fares.
Makes sense, thanks. I assume then, that the potential refund (if J doesn't become available and the flight is flown in Y) would be based on the differential between filed J fare (paid at time of booking) & full Y fare (at time of departure)?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have been able to book Y and waitlist for D without paying for D, but YMMV.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
Makes sense, thanks. I assume then, that the potential refund (if J doesn't become available and the flight is flown in Y) would be based on the differential between filed J fare (paid at time of booking) & full Y fare (at time of departure)?
I would expect it to be based upon the difference between the full fare J and the class you actually flew at the time of booking. I'm not certain whether that class is required to be Y or if it can be a discount bucket. That would also be a policy, not a technical, issue: SHARES would allow it, but UA might not.

I have been able to book Y and waitlist for D without paying for D, but YMMV.
On UA? I'm surprised that they allowed you to waitlist for D.
econ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.