Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on 787-8 true Polaris and PP version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on 787-8 true Polaris and PP version

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Looking for advice for a couple traveling in Polaris. I am worse than deaf in my right ear. (Putting an earplug in my right ear actually helps with comprehension in a noisy environment.) United switched us from 767-300 to 787-9 (with 2-2-2 seating) to 787-9 (with 1-2-1 seating). We are in row 4 and can sit in D and F or in F and L. There is no other pair of available seats as good as either of these pairs.

Seat Guru makes it look like the distance between D and F is comparable to the distance between F and L. If I'm in L, then my good ear is toward my companion and the attendant. Also, I can more easily help with overhead luggage access. Least important, I have a window, which I would slightly prefer. Based on all this, I have chosen F and L. Have I misunderstood anything, in particular, the difficulty in talking between F and L compared to D and F? Thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
E+ Seat Map on UA 788

Seatguru and others don't seem to have the below config up (E+ starts at row 20).
Are there any seatmaps that call out the desired seating in E+?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Standard seatmap for a route not selling PremiumPlus. PremiumPlus seats are then considered E+ and the knowledgable grab them.
All UA's 787-8 (788) have PremiumPlus seats for Row 20, 21 & 22
Old Sep 28, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
All UA's 787-8 (788) have PremiumPlus seats for Row 20, 21 & 22
The telltale sign is the 2-4-2 configuration (missing seats B and K) instead of the 3-4-3 of E and E+.
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 2:37 pm

Traveling as a couple. I’m tall and would benefit from a larger footwell. Do 1/6 DF have the larger footwell or only the outer single seats (1/6 A/L)?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 8:18 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by krex
Any thoughts on whether to take 1DF or 7DF as a couple?

I have large feet so the extra space in the foot cubby might be nice in the bulkhead row, but I worry about proximity to lavatory.
Avoid 1DF at all cost. You'll be annoyed by people getting in and out of the LAV and light from the galley. The slight bigger foot well is NOT worth it!
Old Oct 27, 2021, 1:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Does anyone have any experience regarding 3DF or 6DF as a couple? We're on a day flight so not too concerned about galley noise. However, given current service standards I'm somewhat concerned about being ignored in the mini-cabin.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: UA MM
Is UA's 3D look at the J cabin "wrong"? It's showing the missing window is in Row 3 but I think everything I've read here said the missing window is in Row 5. Anyone know the real story?

https://www.united.com/en/us/seatmap/vr3dr/B8F/AISLE1
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Is UA's 3D look at the J cabin "wrong"? It's showing the missing window is in Row 3 but I think everything I've read here said the missing window is in Row 5. Anyone know the real story?

https://www.united.com/en/us/seatmap/vr3dr/B8F/AISLE1
Something does seem off. It looks to me like there is sixth A/L seat in the forward J section, which isn't the case.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...aft/787-8.html

I would trust the aerolopa diagram.
https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-78h
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Is 7A as bad as I think it is?

Maybe that's a little harsh, but I'm somewhat serious. I have an 8 hour eastbound flight where I need to maximize sleep and 7A is the only J seat left. The even rows on other Polaris configurations feel like I'm hanging out in the aisle. Being in the mini cabin is nice, but I worry about foot traffic to/from PE seats by FA's and passengers. Is this a legit concern or just a "first world problem"? TYIA
Old Feb 18, 2022, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Maybe that's a little harsh, but I'm somewhat serious. I have an 8 hour eastbound flight where I need to maximize sleep and 7A is the only J seat left. The even rows on other Polaris configurations feel like I'm hanging out in the aisle. Being in the mini cabin is nice, but I worry about foot traffic to/from PE seats by FA's and passengers. Is this a legit concern or just a "first world problem"? TYIA
If 7A is the only J seat left, then you are really left with no choice whether it is quiet or noisy based on the feedback here.
Depends on the timing of your flight. It is later evening and late night, then I think there is less traffic.
I recently took 788 on an early morning flight and sat in 6A, and I did not see anyone move about the cabin at all. I like the mini cabin on the 788/789 if you don't mind the Y passenger traffic during boarding process. I noted the person in 7A slept most of the flight (IAD-SFO) while I got up several times to retrieve stuff from overhead bins. I also did not sense any major light leaks from the PE cabin.

I do see more foot traffic in the front cabin because the bathrooms are before row 1.

However, I am the person who prefers sitting in the last odd number window seat on the 772/773/789/788, because all the foot traffic to the bathrooms and galley are ahead of me. Whether I get served the first is inconsequential or need to be the first five people to leave the plane is irrelevant. I found it ironic that the same people who would like to get on the plane the first are the same people who want to get off the plane the first. There is logic to "first in and first out" behavior, but quietness and less foot traffic is gold to me.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with the above. I would say it is actually a little better than most angled-away window seats, because that mini cabin is generally so quiet.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Just monitor the seat map often, perhaps, every 30 min, starting from T-24h, in case that someone cancels his/her trip.
Just pack a good ear plug and do not worry about noises.
Good luck.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Why would there be more foot traffic than Row 1 or 2 might experience?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Thanks for the quick and good information. I am pretty OCD about seat selection so I watch it like a hawk even after I have my desired seat

It is an overnight flight so sleep is the most important factor. I always use ear plugs and an eye shade to facilitate the process. It sounds like the benefit of the mini cabin more than offset the angle of the seat. With the lavs being forward of row 1 it certainly minimizes foot traffic. @wineCountry; my concern about Y traffic is based on some older reports that passengers in the PE cabin being allowed to use the J lavs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.