Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Want to travel but will UA reduce schedule as “Americans” remain barred from EU entry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Want to travel but will UA reduce schedule as “Americans” remain barred from EU entry

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I think broadly we are in agreement I was inferring travel more than tourism, my point was
- When the US closed the border to Europe if you were a European but a permanent resident /green card holder you could still travel here
- On the NY group traveling I think because Sweden is an EU member , as an EU citizen I believe they would be allowed to travel although depending on where they entered they would have to meet local quarantine requirements
- The Sydney group I agree , but if Australia made the hot sheet I think point two would apply
I am pretty sure the EU requirements are based on residence not your passport, I am a Canadian citizen but live in the US, I would not be allowed to visit the EU because my residence is the US.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by dgparent
I am pretty sure the EU requirements are based on residence not your passport, I am a Canadian citizen but live in the US, I would not be allowed to visit the EU because my residence is the US.
No. I live in the US, have a German passport. Entered Germany last week, without even talking to an immigration officer. Scanned passport in Munich (flight from SFO), done.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KCRYSTAL
Originally Posted by dgparent
No. I live in the US, have a German passport. Entered Germany last week, without even talking to an immigration officer. Scanned passport in Munich (flight from SFO), done.
It is a little of both. Most US residents are barred but there are exemptions, one of which for Germany is those with Germany passports.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I saw a news earlier today but cannot find link anymore:

An American woman was denied transit at Paris airport on her way to the Middle East. She was on an Air France flight from the US to Paris, and was led to an isolated facility and had her passport confiscated. She was placed on a return flight back to the US. Her passport was returned to her by the flight crew upon landing in the US.

Apology that I could not find the news link.

Almost all the countries allow their own citizens and permanent residents to return home. We are talking about something different here.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
If the EU ban for Americans is still in place in August, are there any UA non-EU destinations on the Continent that would be a viable alternative? I'm trying to research something similar for a colleague and hitting a wall on UA. The exception clearly being Ireland or Britain, but I'm trying to figure out something more centrally located on the Continent.
Here's a good resource:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
Old Jul 4, 2020, 3:59 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Our business, semiconductor capital equipment (large machines uses to manufacture computer chips) is having a heck of a time getting installation engineers into almost every country. We have installation teams based out of the US, Korea and China. We are finding that it's the passport that's all important. For example we can't get a team into Japan because they only currently let people from 4 countries into the country, regardless of willingness to quarantine, Vietnam, Thailand, New Zealand and Australia are the only passports allowed into Japan at the moment. Given the total lack of discipline shown by many many Americans around social distancing protocols, including mask wearing, and the resulting numbers of new cases, it's no wonder most nations won't allow Americans into their countries.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I saw a news earlier today but cannot find link anymore:

An American woman was denied transit at Paris airport on her way to the Middle East. She was on an Air France flight from the US to Paris, and was led to an isolated facility and had her passport confiscated. She was placed on a return flight back to the US. Her passport was returned to her by the flight crew upon landing in the US.

Apology that I could not find the news link.

Almost all the countries allow their own citizens and permanent residents to return home. We are talking about something different here.
A point was made to delineate between "citizenship" and "residence". I live in the US. I went to Germany for vacation. I was not "returning home". I was fully prepared to be asked some hard questions, e.g., where I came from, if coming from a "high-risk" state or not (per the Robert Koch Institute). I was in fact not queried at all. I did move around quite a bit, multiple states and Iceland, where I took the then free Covid test. FRA now has a Covid test, too. https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/corona-testcenter
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
That is different you have a German passport and went to Germany, the same way I could go to Canada with my Canadian passport, I was talking about people visiting the EU. You would not be allowed in Canada and since I reside in the US and not Canada I would not be allowed into Germany.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
Our business, semiconductor capital equipment (large machines uses to manufacture computer chips) is having a heck of a time getting installation engineers into almost every country. We have installation teams based out of the US, Korea and China. We are finding that it's the passport that's all important. For example we can't get a team into Japan because they only currently let people from 4 countries into the country, regardless of willingness to quarantine, Vietnam, Thailand, New Zealand and Australia are the only passports allowed into Japan at the moment. Given the total lack of discipline shown by many many Americans around social distancing protocols, including mask wearing, and the resulting numbers of new cases, it's no wonder most nations won't allow Americans into their countries.
I can relate to your statement. My work requires travels internationally, and now I have been grounded in the US. Just received a special visa to enter China next week, but it is not much help as I cannot visit Singapore, HK, Japan, Malaysia or do RTW to Europe before flying home. It is quite frustrating! While our competitors located in Europe and Asia are able to fly to meet potential customers and winning bids, we as Americans are losing competitive advantages without the ability to travel.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 2020 at 10:03 am Reason: re,oved OT / OMNI comments --please use the appropriate foruym
Old Jul 5, 2020, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I can relate to your statement. My work requires travels internationally, and now I have been grounded in the US. Just received a special visa to enter China next week, but it is not much help as I cannot visit Singapore, HK, Japan, Malaysia or do RTW to Europe before flying home. It is quite frustrating! While our competitors located in Europe and Asia are able to fly to meet potential customers and winning bids, we as Americans are losing competitive advantages without the ability to travel.
Well I've read on FT that UA and other airlines are doomed to BK because business going forth will be done via Zoom!
Old Jul 5, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
OT but your post reminded me that many years ago when I was practicing patent law, I did some work on semiconductor manufacturing patents, specifically chip washing machines.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 7:40 pm

So US passport holder (w/o EU resident status or passport) can't enter into any EU country right now ?

If so, what is the purpose for the flights beween US and EU ?

Can a US passport holder or a U.S. risdent with a non-US passport (w/o EU resident status or passport) connect a flight at an EU airport?
e.g. US - FRA - IST (both by lufthansa carriers or UA + lufthansa )
Old Jul 5, 2020, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ballerinajz
So US passport holder (w/o EU resident status or passport) can't enter into any EU country right now ?

If so, what is the purpose for the flights beween US and EU ?

Can a US passport holder or a U.S. risdent with a non-US passport (w/o EU resident status or passport) connect a flight at an EU airport?
e.g. US - FRA - IST (both by lufthansa carriers or UA + lufthansa )
A Good source of Info.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:27 pm

the map doesn't show about transit situation
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ballerinajz
So US passport holder (w/o EU resident status or passport) can't enter into any EU country right now? If so, what is the purpose for the flights beween US and EU?
There are lots of non-US citizens in the U.S. or transiting through the U.S. There's also lots of cargo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.