Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2024, 2:49 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
On dates with YN available, revenue fares are A LOT less than $2700 round trip.

You looked at one-way price. But I quoted round trip price of ~$2700 with regular economy (comparable to award ticket). The cheaper BE fare has luggage fees.
lsquare and narvik like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 3:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
You looked at one-way price. But I quoted round trip price of ~$2700 with regular economy (comparable to award ticket). The cheaper BE fare has luggage fees.

Yeah, let's please stick to apples-to-apples comparisons....and also not quote BE fares.
Not sure what moondog was quoting there, although it did seem like a r/t fare.

Amazing that UA can still hold on to these high fares.

Last edited by narvik; Feb 2, 2024 at 3:18 am
Old Feb 2, 2024, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by narvik

Yeah, let's please stick to apples-to-apples comparisons....and also not quote BE fares.
Not sure what moondog was quoting there, although it did seem like a r/t fare.

Amazing that UA can still hold on to these high fares.
Yes, UA can😂, but certainly there are enough empty seats for XN booking.

I am still flying UA, but with helps of two one-way award tickets to connect my open-jaw trip (US-TPE/ICN-US) to Chinese cities. The fare of this ticket (W/G) is about half of $2700. There are six hour layover at TPE and four hours layover at ICN, respectively. My hometown is a few hours away from Shanghai. So, the total duration of the trip is similar and I avoid overnights in Shanghai.

SFO-TPE upgrade was easily cleared (40 PlusPoints). There are PZ spaces for ICN-SFO, but I am debating of saving 50 PlusPoints by paying $400 to Premium economy and then using 30 PlusPoints to business (instead of 80 PlusPoints from G fare class). Are 50 PlusPoints worth $400? I can use them for other trips.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 4:00 am

There are PZ spaces for ICN-SFO, but I am debating of saving 50 PlusPoints by paying $400 to Premium economy and then using 30 PlusPoints to business (instead of 80 PlusPoints from G fare class). Are 50 PlusPoints worth $400? I can use them for other trips.
Yep, I go through the exact same 'calculations', and value 50 PlusPoints at much more than $400, by the way!
Old Feb 2, 2024, 4:05 am

Yep, I go through the exact same 'calculations', and value 50 PlusPoints at much more than $400, by the way!
moondog quoted LAX-PVG RT. Every Chinese airlines flies to LAX. For anyone else in east coast, we have to pay twice as much.

Thank you for the PlusPoints answer.

Last edited by Kmxu; Feb 2, 2024 at 5:06 am
Old Feb 2, 2024, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

moondog quoted LAX-PVG RT. Every Chinese airlines flies to LAX. For anyone else in east coast, we have to pay twice as much.
Okay. Here is Newark-Shanghai ROUND TRIP.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, it would/will be possible to fetch much lower fares than this in a competitive market.

Furthermore, clinging onto a single market in order to argue that 55k miles somehow represents a good value (1.03 cpm, yeah!) is disingenuous.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 6:44 am

That's with an overnight stay in SFO?
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 6:48 am

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, it would/will be possible to fetch much lower fares than this in a competitive market.

Furthermore, clinging onto a single market in order to argue that 55k miles somehow represents a good value (1.03 cpm, yeah!) is disingenuous.
The overall UA fares to China are still very high except for a few competitive markets. It is good to know that EWR-PVG has a good fare. I may do two separate tickets in the future from my local airports.
My choice of US-TPE/ICN-US is still superior as far upgrade chance is concerned (especially, traveling during the Spring Festival period). I do not have to burn 160 Pluspoints for the round-trip (EWR-PVG; W fare is about $5000; while premium economy is a more reasonable, but still high, $3500).
uanj likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 7:31 am

That's with an overnight stay in SFO?
I actually have no idea because didn't check closely at the time, but the $1146 fare does seem to have a preference for overnighting in SFO. In any event, upon searching again, I saw lots dates that included our favorite 6a EWR-SFO flight at the $1186 (round trip) level.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 12:08 am

I saw a while back that there were plans to bring SFO-PVG to twice daily in February, but don't see a second fight bookable. Has this been delayed or cancelled?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by erics2356
I saw a while back that there were plans to bring SFO-PVG to twice daily in February, but don't see a second fight bookable. Has this been delayed or cancelled?
They were only planning on launching that flight if/when they get more slot pairs. They used slots 5-7 to make SFO-PVG daily and 8-14 for SFO-PEK. The second PVG flight has always been lower priority than these
SPN Lifer and erics2356 like this.

Last edited by moondog; Feb 10, 2024 at 6:33 am
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
No worries.

The multi-city search sometimes seems to flake out and not show all options. Calling can usually get it onto one reservation, but since this isn't eligible for the Excursionist Perk, I would advise booking them as three separate itineraries. That way, if you need to change any of them -- or if, say, you see a price drop on PVG-SFO -- you can adjust that one itinerary without risking the rest of them.
So.. no other ideas for PVG SFO right?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2024 at 11:51 am Reason: Moved to SFO-PVG thread
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:35 pm

It may have only ever been discussed on here. Not sure.
Super annoying for quite a long time during Covid when prices for 857 and 858 were stratospheric.
United held all upgrades up until 'gate time'.
Can't remember now if the 'brokerage' reason was ever officially announced by United, and if yes, in what form.

​​​​​​----

As for the other thing with your account: wow! Did you manage to retain your same FF number as before or did they issue you a new one?
Seems like some multiple people using or linked to the same number somehow. Bizarre.

I read the last couple of pages for new ideas on PVG-SFO on 5/1/2024.. doesn't seem to be anything fresh. I usually try to get ANA or Virgin to book the PVG-SFO for me on business. Nothing right now. I guess if not just book cash for the United flight bc its 800 USD vs 75000 miles.
Anything I am not missing? Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yinxzon
So.. no other ideas for PVG SFO right?
So what are you looking for?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So what are you looking for?
something along the lines of
<50K + <100 USD for economy (its 75K with United)
<50K + 3-400 USD for business (usually Virgin/ANA)

I don't want to use AA miles bc its more valuable and its not a direct flight.
Otherwise I should pay cash 800-900 for Asiana Economy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.