Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impact on UA?, JetBlue Will Add 30 New Routes, Launch MintŪ at Newark

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact on UA?, JetBlue Will Add 30 New Routes, Launch MintŪ at Newark

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Premium Cabin Price War EWR - SFO/LAX

Well, United appears to be responding to the new trans-con competition. Never seen aggressive pricing on the PS routes like this. Nearly all flights (with 2 week advance purchase) priced below $400 each way, with some flights around $369 for P fares one way. I checked as far out as Christmas and the fares are present. Even more surprising, same day pricing dropped to $499 one way.

Could get tough to use upgrade points on this route with fares this low. A sub $400 price point should get lots of leisure travelers who want the extra space up front.
EWRSNA likes this.

Last edited by dkc715; Jul 31, 2020 at 11:46 am
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by dkc715
Well, United appears to be responding to the new trans-con competition. Never seen aggressive pricing on the PS routes like this. Nearly all flights (with 2 week advance purchase) priced below $400 each way, with some flights around $369 for P fares one way. I checked as far out as Christmas and the fares are present. Even more surprising, same day pricing dropped to $499 one way.

Could get tough to use upgrade points on this route with fares this low. A sub $400 price point should get lots of leisure travelers who want the extra space up front.
Thanks for the heads up! Had been meaning to book a flight for October and just picked up two tickets on the 787-10 for $369 each. Hopeful the schedule holds.
dkc715 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Being a frequent paid J PS flyer prior to Covid-19, I have often found it difficult to switch flights within 24 hours of departure.
The premium cabin was usually full and the choices were middle of the regular E seats regardless if it is the 16-seat or 28-seat 757 or the 28-seat 777. occasionally I might get lucky to find a seat on the 787-10.

I am not sure if upgrades were cleared too early or just simply a huge demand for paid J seats.

Although I do like the multiple frequencies offered by United on PS routes, it has not worked well for me in terms of making changes within premium cabin between flights. IAD-SFO is another one that is hard to change to J seat on another flight even with a paid J ticket.

Post Covid-19, who knows!
I have the opposite experience. With routine misconnects and other issues at EWR there are regularly seats on seats in the next couple of hours and UA regularly opens up inventory. In January and February I was able to SDC easily at a kiosk in EWR and that was on a P fare!
EWRSNA likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by cfischer
I have the opposite experience. With routine misconnects and other issues at EWR there are regularly seats on seats in the next couple of hours and UA regularly opens up inventory. In January and February I was able to SDC easily at a kiosk in EWR and that was on a P fare!
Within 24 hours of departures UA would often open up all fare buckets so even if there was only one or two biz seats left you could do a SDC with a P fare.

I agree with the previous poster that most flights on PTS routes - especially on Monday mornings / Thursdays evenings - were usually sold out in biz so it was often hard to do SDC.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
What a shame CA is not the best place to be visiting in the foreseeable future!

On a related note, I had my first B6 Mint experience yesterday and holy smokes - it was exceptional. I hope they stick around.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
What a shame CA is not the best place to be visiting in the foreseeable future!

On a related note, I had my first B6 Mint experience yesterday and holy smokes - it was exceptional. I hope they stick around.
What aspects of your experience (vs. UA) were most impressive?
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
UA just moved to 3 frequencies of EWR-LAX on 9.29. Morning frequency becomes a 787-10, midday a 752 and a nonPolaris refit 763 in the evening,. Cash prices are really low at ~$367 1-way.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:38 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
UA just moved to 3 frequencies of EWR-LAX on 9.29. Morning frequency becomes a 787-10, midday a 752 and a nonPolaris refit 763 in the evening,. Cash prices are really low at ~$367 1-way.
There are even 4 eastbound flights on 6 September - 787-10, 757 (16 seats), domestic 777, and a 767.

Originally Posted by UAflyer93
Within 24 hours of departures UA would often open up all fare buckets so even if there was only one or two biz seats left you could do a SDC with a P fare.

I agree with the previous poster that most flights on PTS routes - especially on Monday mornings / Thursdays evenings - were usually sold out in biz so it was often hard to do SDC.
I got lucky back in early March - on my last flight, where I spotted the mythical PZ bucket of 1 on an earlier flight SFO-EWR. Did SDC and grabbed the upgrade space.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
So pre-COVID, the reason why I switched from UA to AA was that I would routinely need to fly to PVD, MHT or PWM and UA just could not get me there, especially since I preferred to fly from SNA or PSP. The main issue that I had ex-SNA was that the aircraft was normally a 73W, and the redeye would leave really early in the evening. And, the UA 73W that operated SNA-EWR was just normal F seats, nothing spectacular, which coupled with the miserable OTP of my connections (EWR-PVD, EWR-PWM, EWR-MHT) it made the switch that much easer.

Even now, when I was attempting to find a non-stop to BOS from LAX, I actually defaulted to B6 first, and then AA. I ended up on AA because I didn’t want to have to deal with taking a 6am flight out of LAX. But, it was one of the reasons why I left UA...I just could not deal with the onward UAX connections from EWR.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
What aspects of your experience (vs. UA) were most impressive?
Most notable: Bed lengthy in fully flat mode, solo seat is wider and more private than 787-10 Polaris (and has a door). Great pillow, proactive/young/enthusiastic FA's who offered a second pillow, saw me wake up and asked if they could get me anything. Solid food choices and good wines. See photo.

Main Meal Trio
Yoshi212 likes this.

Last edited by seanp7; Aug 3, 2020 at 6:56 am Reason: Added Photo of meal service
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
B6 announced another round of new flights out of EWR recently, mostly targeted towards Caribbean destinations as far as I can tell...certainly aiming to take a good chunk of UA’s leisure travelers at the airport.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Be aware B6 was drawn back on many of the earlier service increase announcements (airlines make less fuss on those types of changes).
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tphuang
B6 will be adding more flights over time at EWR as long as gate space is available, especially on routes where they do well on. EWR will be wide open for B6/ULCCs to add flights to in the next few years (at least until international LH and business travel return to close to pre-COVID level). B6 will have room in new terminal 1 to connect more dots and add frequencies over the next couple of years. People also have option to fly out of JFK if EWR schedule doesn't work or get canceled. As they grow at EWR over time, some of the concerns here will probably be smaller concerns. There is some appeal to saying we fly 10 times a day to LAX out of JFK and 6 times a day out of EWR.

Their network at EWR probably will not work for a lot of people looking to fly to middle of the country for business. It will be more of a leisure oriented network with a lot of transcon and leisure stuff. I fully expect them to add a bunch of island routes that UA doesn't fly to right now. That will work for a lot of people who travel more leisurely and want choices.
I don't know where you get the idea that B6 will be taking over EWR, LAX, BOS, JFK and getting all these gates. No one is giving them anything. They will have a very small footprint at EWR. UA is and always will be the heavy weight champ at EWR. I'd imagine that half of what B6 attempts at EWR will ultimately be drawn down, Point in case, all the July/Aug addtions have been slashed to near nothing. I actually feel bad for B6, they really don't have that airport to call all their own
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Be aware B6 was drawn back on many of the earlier service increase announcements (airlines make less fuss on those types of changes).
Keep in mind they have not really drawn back any of the service announcements. They simply trimmed the schedule for the past few months based on the demand. It's no different than their schedule trimming out of JFK and BOS.

It shouldn't be a surprise that airlines would trim schedule out of EWR these days.

Also, it looks like EWR-LAS and EWR-SAN will see mint service for the next few months at least.

EWR will be a major growth area for JetBlue as the new Terminal 1 is about to open next year and gates become available.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tphuang
Keep in mind they have not really drawn back any of the service announcements. They simply trimmed the schedule for the past few months based on the demand......
We may be talking semantics. But B6 slashed the majority of those new flights within a month or so of announcing -- much more than a trim. The data is clear in the OAG changes provided by enilria on https://www.airliners.net. But those are topics for the B6 forum.

The point of mentioning here is B6 is throwing a lot up on the wall and trying to see what sticks -- so these recent announcements are to be taken with a huge grain of salt. Likely to be a lot of re-adjustment (trimming if you prefer) in the coming months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.