Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cannot use travel credit due to health and age

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

My parents had to cancel a trip to Hawaii For a wedding because of COVID. They had first class tickets because of their age but now their health has deteriorated and they are no longer able to travel. Is there any way to either transfer the credit to another person or to get a refund?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Halyarw
My parents had to cancel a trip to Hawaii For a wedding because of COVID. They had first class tickets because of their age but now their health has deteriorated and they are no longer able to travel. Is there any way to either transfer the credit to another person or to get a refund?
Before the cancellation, has the flight been cancelled? In other word, was the trip cancelled by your own initiative?

If so, then UA is properly retaining the credit. The best way to handle it is to contact Customer Care and see if they can issue a electronic travel certificate, or simply ETC, for the value of the ticket. If UA obliges, then the ETC can be used by others.

In not, then you can ask UA for a full refund back to the original payment method.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you are medically unable to travel for the entirety of the ticket validity, and can produce a doctor's note to that effect, United will refund the ticket. However, note that ticket validity is now 24 months from issue, due to COVID-19.

If they can get an ETC instead of future flight credit, the value of the ETC can be used for travel by anyone.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
When are the flights - most flight combinations for June and July Hawaii travel has triggered a schedule change greater than 2 hours and will result in a refund if you ask.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
When are the flights - most flight combinations for June and July Hawaii travel has triggered a schedule change greater than 2 hours and will result in a refund if you ask.
If an itinerary is voluntary cancelled, any subsequent schedule change / UA cancels won't matter right? The way I read it, OP's parents voluntary cancelled.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kevflyer
If an itinerary is voluntary cancelled, any subsequent schedule change / UA cancels won't matter right? The way I read it, OP's parents voluntary cancelled.
Right, because at the time of the cancellation, it was a voluntary change. Any subsequent development would not matter as the reservation no longer existed.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
Thanks all. It was a voluntary cancellation so I will try to get an ETC if we can’t get a doctors note
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: 1.3mm
Thanks all. It was a voluntary cancellation so I will try to get an ETC if we can’t get a doctors note

One thing to note before calling; when I canceled my trips back in March, I ended up taking the travel credit; i just needed to retain the original confirmation. Just recently, when I went to use the travel credit, I was given the option to convert it to a ETC, which I did, and within seconds the ETC was in my email.

You might want to go into the orignal record locator and see...
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, the original PNR should be under Cancelled Flights in My Trips and probably will show a convert to ETC option.
However, if you plan to try the refund option, try the refund first before converting to ETC

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 18, 2020 at 3:42 pm
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
if you can use the ETC, it is much simpler than dealing with a doctors note and getting a refund. The latter should be possible but these days it is quite challenging and lengthy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.