Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Auto-Cancelled Reservation -- UA says "cancelled by user on the web" but wasn't

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:31 am
Original Poster

I made various reservations for a January trip yesterday afternoon, and woke to find an email that one of the legs for one of the passengers had been cancelled at 12:37am.

This reservation was made using a combination of a flight change credit and a credit card payment for the difference. After calling the premier line, the agent reinstated the reservation and said it showed as cancelled by user on the web.

I didn't cancel anything---I was asleep! No one else has the confirmation code.

Now the reservation shows up on my app, but on the full web site is shows up only under the Future Flight Credit tab, although it does show as an active reservation.

This has me a little concerned that my flights could auto-cancel at any time. Anyone deal with this "glitch" in the past?
Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BeeeJay

This has me a little concerned that my flights could auto-cancel at any time. Anyone deal with this "glitch" in the past?
There was thread awhile back - a month or two I think - where we discussed this. I had an instance where I went to cancel a reservation - and didn't notice I cancelled someone else's reservation until I noticed my reservation was still there and further digging from the email showed I cancelled someone else's reservation.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:53 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Not this particular glitch but I have had the return segments of a August domestic 4 segment round trip cancelled without reason, or notification, twice in the last 7 days. The 1K agent was able to see the cancelled segments in both cases and reinstate them. The first one had no explanation as to the cause, the second one I was told it was because of a schedule change. There was no change in flight numbers, cities or departure/arrival times. I didn’t bother pointing out that was not true. In any case, a simple change like that should not cause the segments to disappear......

Im hoping these mysterious changes or cancellations are an anomaly and not the new norm as air travel begins to rebound.

UPDATE 6/4/20: Finally I got the answer from United. I had an abandoned August DEN-LHR flight that overlapped with the ITH return so every few days, the computer would catch the double-booking issue and drop the segment. I was holding on to the LHR flight hoping United would either cancel or make adjustments so I get a refund, instead of credit or a voucher. This was my fault, but it took United 4 separate ITH Segment cancelations to identify what the real problem was. I should have caught this mistake myself!

DEN

Last edited by DEN; Jun 4, 2020 at 3:16 am Reason: Update, totally my fault
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
all UA metal or partner metal involved?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.