New UA advertisement - Home

Old May 28, 20, 1:14 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
New UA advertisement - Home

I thought the ad was well executed, capturing the spirit of wanderlust.
Old May 28, 20, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.997 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_leOab_ln0

Love it. But it wonít change my decision on returning to fly.
doc4science likes this.
Old May 28, 20, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_leOab_ln0

Well done. But I won't change many peoples minds. It's a shame that none of my last few or next destinations look that good!
Old May 28, 20, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Rhapsody in Blue is such a great theme song for an airline. Sections that can match any mood.

Now if only it had a tulip at the end sequence...
Old May 28, 20, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
The UA Marketing team is hands done head and shoulders above the competition - you just don't see those types of advertisements elsewhere......
cerealmarketer likes this.
Old May 28, 20, 2:50 pm

I really like it though I doubt it gets anyone to buy that LAX-LAS ticket for $1444.
Old May 28, 20, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
A good ad, for sure. But I'm scratching my head wondering if this is the best thing for United to be spending money on right now. Unless they had an escrow account with their ad agency ("use it or lose it"), it seems inconsistent with their batten-down-the-hatches approach to everything else. I also don't see the point of building brand goodwill right now, unless they really think that, once travel picks up again, people will think of United first because of the emotional tug of an ad like this.
SPN Lifer and bocastephen like this.
Old May 28, 20, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA1K .6MM
Nice to see United, but what's with the weird Rhapsody rendition?
Old May 28, 20, 9:43 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
eh. some of us have been going to work throughout the week, every week (and sometimes on weekends) all during the "time of COVID", so no, no resonating with this ad.

David
Old May 29, 20, 3:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
The UA Marketing team is hands done head and shoulders above the competition - you just don't see those types of advertisements elsewhere......
Agree. That said, it isnít going to prompt me to board an airplane anytime soon. I would really like to get back to flying, but given that there are too many inconsiderate people out there still mingling in public while carrying the virus, Iím laying low for another six months or so.
Old May 29, 20, 3:50 am

Programs: UA GS 1.9MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
A good ad, for sure. But I'm scratching my head wondering if this is the best thing for United to be spending money on right now. Unless they had an escrow account with their ad agency ("use it or lose it"), it seems inconsistent with their batten-down-the-hatches approach to everything else. I also don't see the point of building brand goodwill right now, unless they really think that, once travel picks up again, people will think of United first because of the emotional tug of an ad like this.
You called it - they are burning down the remaining part of their retainer with Dentsu. Certainly a good use of it.
Old May 29, 20, 6:54 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
I guess I'll be the odd one out. It was well composed, but didn't grab me. I think it was too focused on "the great outdoors" as a destination, rather than the act of travel more broadly, to appeal to me. What's pictured is not what I've been missing, personally. I also think this kind of advertising will have no impact at all on the average person's opinion of the airline at this time, because it doesn't address any of the things many folks say they dislike about it. If they were running out a retainer, mazel tov. It certainly wasn't a bad ad. But it didn't do anything for me either. I am looking forward to flying with UA again when all this is behind us.
DELee and tuolumne like this.
Old May 29, 20, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
I am going to focus on the ad not the cost or why UA spent money on advertising. I think that discussion belongs to a different thread.

In terms of actual advertising, letís be clear the audience is general public not Flyertalkers. Airlines donít run advertising campaign targeting us.

In a time of uncertainty, lockdown, anxiety, frustration etc, people craving for calmness, things take them away for reality, and forward looking with a purpose. I think the Ad does that. When you watch the ad, it takes your mind a way focusing on things people have missed: vast outdoor, beautiful sites, images typically associate rest and retreat.

Flyertalkers fly for different reasons than most of the general public. I just got off the plane tonight after two months without any flying ( I do 350k to 450K BIS a year for the last 12 years), and surprisingly I have not missEd the flying. When I got to the airport today, it brought back the less pleasant experience of traveling. Routine visit to a lounge did not excite me today. I do miss stepping into a United plane, but not the routines of storing my carry-on, checking emails and messages before the door was closed.

I was excited and looking forward to the arrival part of the trip today. Got out of the airport to see the sites and people I have missed for the past two months. The actual flying part I donít miss as much. People and places are the one I miss the most. The Ad does it for me.
Old May 30, 20, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA MM
I'm dying to get back out to wild places this summer, especially as the snow melts off the higher peaks. I've been doing it for years, and I've got a lot better personal visuals than the ad. But neither the ad nor my personal desire to get out there is going to make me take the risk of flying on a possibly full plane where people are "asked" to wear masks. Small chance of infection, but the cost of such failure is high and it's just not worth it. I'd rather see them spend money on real safety oriented enhancements. The bogus "empty middle seat" and "masks on board" made me almost buy a ticket last week. But... not.
Old May 30, 20, 8:26 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I went on a vacation last week and it was great. I am excited to get back in the air again (probably not on United though)! As a Delta fan, this commercial was very well done.
SteveHK and SPN Lifer like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: