Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO check-in experience / times (in the COVID era)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying out of SFO tomorrow (Saturday) morning for the first time since March. Any advice re: how much time to allow for check-in with TSA-Pre? In the olden days I typically cut it close, but don't know how to calibrate the COVID reduced volume/social distancing/staffing variables. Any guidance from recent experiences? Tia...
Old May 30, 2020, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You've probably already left at this point but the airport is dead these days so it won't take more than a few minutes to get through security on a Saturday morning.
Aussienarelle and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 31, 2020, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doppy
You've probably already left at this point but the airport is dead these days so it won't take more than a few minutes to get through security on a Saturday morning.
Thanks! I actually changed my flight to Sunday morning, so the info is still helpful. The last thing I want is to hang around T3 longer than needed. I'll add an extra 5-10 min for the higher Sunday volume.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
Recent wait times at T3 UA SFO

Hi all,

Any recent fliers out of T3 at SFO have wait times to report? Is it still super empty? How long should I expect for check-in (premier) and TSA (pre-check)?

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't imagine the lines are long but I think you need to provide some details on when you'll be going through.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
I can't imagine the lines are long but I think you need to provide some details on when you'll be going through.
Thursday 8:30am departure. Planning to be at the airport around 6:15am.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yonajon
You're going to have lots of time to kill in the terminal.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 9:34 pm

Boarding probably around 7:45. If checking bags, I'd arrive at 7:00. If no bags, I'd arrive at 7:30.

I've been to SFO about 6-7 times in the past couple months. Each time, I was the only person in the security line. The bag drop line however might take 15 mins since there's fewer staff.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
As others have posted I was literally one of two people in line at TSA, Pre-check is basically meaningless as is Clear (didn't even know if it was operating). Basically the time is the distance to walk to your gate plus 5 mins maybe. Having said this my experience is only 2 RT trips out of SFO during the SIP. Heading to CLE in 2 weeks again and I suspect it may be a bit busier.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Can I assume that T3 is going to be even less busy on a Friday night? 11:00 PM departure to ORD on a Friday.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2pm today multiple lines open, including Pre-Check, no wait in any line. I went through Clear to give the guy something to do; took longer than had I not.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 9:37 am

At SFO this morning, I opted to be on the safe side and I was glad I did. We arrived at 6:15 for an 8:40 flight. We made it to the gate five minutes before boarding. Check-in took about 45 min - our reservation got split four ways (serves me right for deigning to attempt checking in online) and the agent had to verify our permission to enter the destination country. Security took about 30 min - because the reservation was split, we didn’t have TSA Pre, and had to remove lots of devices from our bags. They did secondary screening on lots of our bags (they kindly changed gloves at our request).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.