Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Regular Economy Ticket Rebooked into Basic Economy? by OTA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020 | 9:09 am
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Premier Silver currently.

I had a RT ticket in V fare outbound, H fare return for 4/29-5/4, DSM<>PVR, that was cancelled due to COVID-19. This is for a wedding that has since been rescheduled. Unfortunately, this was booked as a package through Travelocity, since there was about $300 in savings with booking together. I have the original booking email showing this is "ECONOMY" class.

I called Travelocity and they rebooked me to the dates I needed, however, looking at the United website, it is giving me the "Basic Economy" banner and warning of no upgrades, seat selection, etc. Still V/H fares.

The odd thing here, is that on the United site, it still shows "CPU Requested" and allows me to pick my seats. Is this an error on the United website, or should I call in? Should I call UA, or Travelocity? Last thing I want is to miss out on E+ seats on day of departure, of potentially an upgrade. Not to mention the mileage earnings.

Last edited by shimps1; May 23, 2021 at 6:52 am
Old May 20, 2020 | 10:02 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
If you booked with Travelocity - call Travelocity
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old May 20, 2020 | 10:02 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K
I'd call UA first to make sure this isn't a display error on UA's end - you're still in V and H classes which don't look like BE. Worst they'll say is to call Travelocity.
Old May 20, 2020 | 10:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kevflyer
I'd call UA first to make sure this isn't a display error on UA's end - you're still in V and H classes which don't look like BE. ...
Could be, BE is not just te lowest fare classes

Originally Posted by kevflyer
Worst they'll say is to call Travelocity.
Sounds like a rebooking error, which will have to be corrected by TV
Old May 20, 2020 | 10:25 am
Original Poster

UA CSR states this is not a BE ticket, must be a website error. However, somewhat disconcerting since there is no way to confirm.
Old May 20, 2020 | 11:06 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by shimps1
UA CSR states this is not a BE ticket, must be a website error. However, somewhat disconcerting since there is no way to confirm.
If it's letting you pick seats/apply upgrade I'd say this is right.
In2ishn likes this.
Old May 20, 2020 | 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Could be, BE is not just te lowest fare classes
Unless I missed an update somewhere along the line I thought that North America (including Mexico and Canada) BE was "N" fare class only? Transoceanic "BE" is, of course, another story and transcends all economy fare buckets.

That said, in this case it seems like a behind-the-scenes coding error.

SAP
jsloan likes this.
Old May 20, 2020 | 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Have you tried looking at the fare rules? There is a link displayed on United's reservation summary page. Sometimes it doesn't work, though.
Old May 20, 2020 | 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
Have you tried looking at the fare rules? There is a link displayed on United's reservation summary page. Sometimes it doesn't work, though.
Here is all I could find, this is the "View Ticket Receipt" link. Not sure where the fare rules link is. Judging by the first bag free, I think I am in the clear, however, I'm not sure if that is the fare, or my Premier Silver.

Old May 20, 2020 | 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Here is all I could find, this is the "View Ticket Receipt" link. Not sure where the fare rules link is. Judging by the first bag free, I think I am in the clear, however, I'm not sure if that is the fare, or my Premier Silver.

img
I would guess United is getting confused by the bulk fare.

The fare rules link would be just below the IAH-DSM segment on the united website 'view your itinerary' page (your first screenshot). It is next to the links for 'Save to My trips', 'Inflight purchases', 'View ticket receipt', and 'Email receipt'.
Old May 20, 2020 | 2:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
Unless I missed an update somewhere along the line I thought that North America (including Mexico and Canada) BE was "N" fare class only? Transoceanic "BE" is, of course, another story and transcends all economy fare buckets.....
Saw Internation and with a brain freeze. Correct solely in North America BE is "N"

Here is all I could find, this is the "View Ticket Receipt" link.....
Agree with the other post, BULK FARE could be the underlying cause
Old May 20, 2020 | 2:46 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist, Moderator: United Airlines MlleagePlus
5 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Endorsements are NOCBBG/NOASR, so this is definitely endorsed as a Basic Economy ticket. Travelocity probably messed something up with the rebooking, but good luck getting anyone to admit that.
Old May 20, 2020 | 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
Endorsements are NOCBBG/NOASR, so this is definitely endorsed as a Basic Economy ticket. Travelocity probably messed something up with the rebooking, but good luck getting anyone to admit that.
Can you expand on what those mean?

Originally Posted by fumje
I would guess United is getting confused by the bulk fare.

The fare rules link would be just below the IAH-DSM segment on the united website 'view your itinerary' page (your first screenshot). It is next to the links for 'Save to My trips', 'Inflight purchases', 'View ticket receipt', and 'Email receipt'.
Thanks.... There is no link there. Only "Inflight Purchases," "View Ticket Receipt," and "Email Receipt."

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 20, 2020 at 11:37 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 20, 2020 | 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Can you expand on what those mean?
NOCBBG - NO CaBin BaG
NOASR.- NO Advance Seat Reservation

Whether or not UA's computers will actually enforce this is anyone's guess.
findark likes this.
Old May 20, 2020 | 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
NOCBBG - NO CaBin BaG
NOASR.- NO Advance Seat Reservation

Whether or not UA's computers will actually enforce this is anyone's guess.
Yea, this is the odd part... Obviously it shows that an upgrade was requested, and I was able to select seats. Both of which would not be available on a BE booking.

So, what should my next move be? Calling UA, the CSR states it's a "Bulk fare" but not BE, however fare rules are showing BE like characteristics. Should I HUCA with UA and see if I can get more clarification?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 20, 2020 at 11:38 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.