Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Severence Travel Benefits for UA employees - Plat for MgmtDir (L1), others no status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2020, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
To address, the initial query, based on reports from numerous employees, a few departing senior managers (Manging Directors -- aka Level 1) will receive Premier Plat status for some period of time (5? years) but not 1K. Reports suggest there are a total of 10-20 MDs. No reports of what VPs or higher might receive but it is a much smaller population

Other travel benefits for the Management & Administrative (M&A - mid to upper management below VPs) Voluntary Separation Program (VSP2)
(Source from JonNYC)
  • Choice of 250,000 UA miles or 12 one-way positive space leisure travel passes (taxable benefits)
  • Active pass travel privileges for 5 years at current boarding priority, then convertible to retire pass travel program, if eligible
Print Wikipost

Severence Travel Benefits for UA employees - Plat for MgmtDir (L1), others no status

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 9:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

As there were inaccuracies in early reports on elite status for Management & Administrators (M&A - mid to upper management below VPs) Severance travel benefits offering, which generated interest what was the real answer for travel benefits for departing UA employees, have retitled this thread into a general discussion of severance travel benefits. As the wiki can be modified by most members, that will be a good way to collect this information

Please use some sensitivity in discussing this subject, as this is a difficult time for UA employees (and many others)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 17, 2020 at 6:52 am
Old May 16, 2020, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
United offering 1K status {unclear} to employees who take severance package.

They will get 1k and 250k miles. However I am happy that United is throwing them a bone.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1k, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
They will get 1k and 250k miles. Seems a bit unfair to us 1ks. However I am happy that United is throwing them a bone.
How is it unfair? People are losing their jobs!
CAL PHL FLYER likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Unfair? These people are losing their jobs.
How many of them will have the means to use their 1K status frequently?
Old May 16, 2020, 9:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO_LHR_NRT
How is it unfair? People are losing their jobs!
Unfair to the fact that revenue 1ks will be competing with employee 1ks for upgrade etc. United is just doing this to save money because 1k is decently Inexpensive and they want something kind of flashy. But hey at least it’s something.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: UGS, AA CK
They will get 1k and 250k miles. Seems a bit unfair to us 1ks. However I am happy that United is throwing them a bone.
You should probably remove "Seems a bit unfair to us 1ks." They are all losing their jobs.
nnn, mrt88 and CAL PHL FLYER like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 16, 2020 at 9:42 am Reason: Overly personalized comments removed; discuss the issue, not the poster(s_
Old May 16, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Unfair to the fact that revenue 1ks will be competing with employee 1ks for upgrade etc..
oh please, 99% of 1Ks are because of their job (ie. they didnt earn it anymore than these UA employees did)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 16, 2020 at 10:59 am Reason: Non-germane comment removed
Old May 16, 2020, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by staren937
You should probably remove "Seems a bit unfair to us 1ks.". They are all losing their jobs.
You are right, I think just staying all cooped up is getting to me. Thanks for the correction.
onthesam, wrp96, perkele and 4 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 16, 2020 at 9:44 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old May 16, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
Can't wait to hear them howl when they loose an upgrade to an employee.
cur and CAL PHL FLYER like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Bad info

Just re-read the offer from HR as that was news to me. No status in the package. NRSA for a number of years and a choice of miles, a handful of confirmed tickets, or neither (avoiding imputed income taxes).

Bad info. Recommend moderators close thread before false info goes further.
runner450 likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This reference from JonNYC for the management and administrator severance package does not mention status but does mention of the potential of 250K miles

link

but a number of blogs are reporting the status piece based on Business Insider article (paywall)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 16, 2020 at 10:20 am
Old May 16, 2020, 11:02 am

Fake news.
Old May 16, 2020, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Comment on one the blogs
Incorrect, status is only for Level 1 employees, aka vice president and managing directors. Level 2 and higher get no status.

Also its platinum status, not 1k
and another blog comment
This should be fact checked better before posting. First, no employee is getting 1K status out of this, Managing Directors (less than 400 total at the company) would get Platinum status for the 5 years of active duty privileges…and that’s if they were all to leave…they won’t, you’re probably talking about 20-30ppl total that take this voluntary package. The rest of M&A get no status privileges just space available travel.

It’s funny when I hear ppl complain about offers like these, not offering full pay or large lump sums to walk away…there is NO money to be given away…this is actually a pretty solid offer especially if you value travel privileges which is key to most airline employees. Also, there are no non compete or restrictions to ppl getting jobs elsewhere and in fact they could come back to UA in the next five years and retain their seniority date. The alternative is to simply be let go October 1st with nothing, so keep that in mind.

Disclosure, I’m a UA Global Services customer and have two very close friends who work in upper management and we’ve discussed these offers in detail over the past couple of days.
Old May 16, 2020, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Losing my job due to incompetent mismanagement and greed, and then being tossed a few miles or tickets from a company I probably never want to see again, is not exactly a severance package I would be interested in. How about a properly funded pension and a reasonable severance package that includes cash I can use? Who cares about miles. This is nothing but useless PR fluff trying to cover for the fact that Kirby gave billions to shareholders instead of making sure his business could weather a dramatic travel recession similar to 9-11 or 2007 - events that have already happened, but could have repeated again at any time, and are therefore prudent situations to plan for.
kb1992, Halo117, Dyce and 2 others like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Losing my job due to incompetent mismanagement and greed
I didn't realize that United management started the pandemic.
gmt4, tuolumne, EWR764 and 6 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.