Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Start of service has been delayed -- now 28 March 2021
In April 2021, single flight M,Th,F,Sa,Su
SFO UA520,UA523
LAX UA514, UA517
UA's 2021 Return to JFK - Inaugural Flights on 28 March thread

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

We are Back! United Announces Return to New York's JFK Airport

Airline to offer new transcontinental service from JFK to the west coast starting February 1

November 10, 2020
-- United Airlines announced today that it will be returning service to New York City's John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) on February 1, 2021 with nonstop service to the west coast. The airline's entry back into JFK after five years reflects not only its strong commitment to the New York City area, but a continuation of aggressively and strategically managing the impact of COVID-19 by increasing service to and from the places where customers want to fly. The new United service will operate out of Terminal 7.

Effective February of next year, United will serve both JFK to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and JFK to San Francisco International Airport (SFO) with two round-trips for each west coast city. The flights will utilize the reconfigured Boeing 767-300ER aircraft on the routes offering customers an extended premium cabin featuring 16 additional United Business class seats –providing all-aisle-access seating – bringing the total premium cabin seat count to 46. The aircraft will also feature 22 United Premium Plus® seats, 47 Economy Plus® seats and 52 Economy seats. United offers the most premium seats between the New York City area and Los Angeles and San Francisco markets. Tickets are now available for purchase on United.com.

"I have been waiting a long time to say this - United Airlines is back at JFK," said United's Chief Executive Officer Scott Kirby. "Come early next year, we will be serving all three major New York City area airports with a best-in-class product to provide our customers unmatched transcontinental service from New York City and the west coast."

"The upcoming return of United to JFK while continuing service at Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports will offer more choices for transcontinental flights just as travelers return to the skies," said Kevin O'Toole, Chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As the recovery begins, we're pleased to see these increased options for those who choose to fly in and out of the Port Authority's airports."

"United Airlines' return to JFK Airport is a clear sign that air travel is returning in New York and across the region," said Rick Cotton, Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As numbers start to rise, the Port Authority is ready to welcome travelers back to JFK, Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports with increased cleaning and sanitizing in all terminals and touch-free options from curb to gate to ensure a world-class travel experience even in these unprecedented times."

United's premium cabin will feature flat-bed seats on all flights similar to the current Newark-Los Angeles and Newark-San Francisco offerings, providing a consistent and comprehensive NYC-west coast product. Additionally, United's wide-body service can participate in the robust cargo market between JFK and the west coast.
Earlier related threads
FlightGlobal: United seeks return to New York JFK
United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}
p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015
Print Wikipost

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I thought I would offer my 2 cents when I heard this. I am probably the customer UA wants back. Or maybe not since I stopped flying UA suddenly, and I didn't even get a note or check in, UA doesn't care.

From 2012-2015 I passed though JFK Terminal 7 once a month, sometimes twice a month, flying JFK-LAX and back in Business Class on the ps flights. After UA moved this to EWR, I went there a few times then switched to AA and diversified my flying. Pre Jet Blue, these tickets were expensive, they became affordable after jet blue disrupted that market.

Some reasons why the JFK ps service was special

- No crowds. Terminal 7 is primarly a BA terminal and was a pleasant place during the day, early evening prior to all the TATL flights. During the morning and day it was the ANA flights to Japan, otherwise UA had the terminal to themselves.
- Short walks. It was possible to hang out in the club and board the plane just before the doors close. The walk from the terminal to the gate was probably less than 10 minutes.
- 30 minute bag check in deadline . For those of us that work in the tech and entertainment, sometimes we need to bring equipment back to LA. There were a few occasions when I showed up at the curb at JFK T7 40 minutes before departure and still made the flight with pelican bags of equipment to bring back to California. Try doing that at EWR.
- The Red Carpet Club ( now UA club) was a great place to do bi coastal networking. Almost everyone in the club was either going to LA or SF, and more than likely was in my industry. I scored clients at the club, and gained friends, that I still have till this day.
- Towards the end 2014-2015, a global services agent was there dedicated ( I forgot her name ) she knew the regulars well and took care of us.

Although EWR is indeed closer to my New York apartment, when I got to the airport, the place was zoo, everyone was made to go though one of 3 giant lines like an assembly plant, the club was meh ( since remodeled) , and the walks to the gate gave me back pain, the only one that liked that was my chiropractor.

The tech and entermaimnet crowd moved to AA's ( at the time) new A321 service, flagship lounge access, and I never look back. In fact, during the pandemic AA still maintains full service with catering and amenities on this route. As with other flying, I diversified and try to fly foreign and asian carriers there days. My tastes have evolved, life is too short for mediocrity.

I wish UA good luck in the move. I would probably give it a try to check it out and see if I like it. Though I truly miss the time, pre Smisek when UA treated the ps transcon service as special.
SPN Lifer, aircam, LAX-1K and 8 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by narvik
Building 213 (Tower Air Terminal)!

(I flew with Tower Air out of that terminal once....ONCE! )
Me too. It was special.....

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Does the JFK-LHR route really need five airlines? I suppose it could be operated by the LHR base but still....
B6 just announced JFK & BOS to LHR service starting in 2021 so it would be 6.
AA, BA, B6, DL, UA, VA
Old Sep 30, 2020, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by AMflier

B6 just announced JFK & BOS to LHR service starting in 2021 so it would be 6.
AA, BA, B6, DL, UA, VA
If VS last to the end of the pandemic, even.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Though I truly miss the time, pre Smisek when UA treated the ps transcon service as special.
All of us legacy UA transcon flyers agree! Maybe we are about to get it back!
evol likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by AMflier

Re: Bldg 213

According to Wikipedia, it's still empty (since 2000), but other sites state it's being used by Delta Air Lines for light aircraft maintenance and limited charter operations.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

Re: Bldg 213

According to Wikipedia, it's still empty (since 2000), but other sites state it's being used by Delta Air Lines for light aircraft maintenance and limited charter operations.
I don’t think the building is in use, but the landside area was a DL employee lot and the airside used for aircraft parking.

It was a miserable place in the 90s and I doubt it’s in any kind of serviceable condition for passenger use 20+ years later. I’m sure it’ll be a tear-down during the upcoming JFK projects.
SPN Lifer and narvik like this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by ordogg
https://onemileatatime.com/united-airlines-jfk-airport/

Fun fact, I was the last UA pax to board a UA flight at JFK.
Was there a reverse race to get on the flight last
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
As for terminals, if I had to guess UA might try to get into either Terminal 1 ( to be close to their BFF LH Group) but in all practicality, UA will probably end up at Terminal 4, which isn't really a step up, its actually worse than EWR in terms of "zoo factor" . Pre covid in the evenings, 3-4 A380s leave in the evening with 300-400 pax each. The security line is a nightmare, even on all the shortcut lines / precheck, so much so some DL flyers have taken to arriving at terminal 2 and bussing to terminal 4.

Of course, an ideal situation would be to get back into Terminal 7. I think that ship sailed.

The best case scenario would be if UA got into Terminal1 or 7, which is quiet in the mornings and afternoons, busy in the evenings. And also, moving into a terminal without a lounge or access to a lounge would be a non starter

In all practicality though the terminal that has the most capacity to spare is AA's so called hub Terminal 8. Stranger things have happened. Personally that would be convenient for bicoastal flyers , if UA doesn't work, take AA ( same terminal )

For what its worth, the last time I was at Terminal 7 flying BA, I walked to the former Red Carpet club ( now AS lounge). Some sort of muscle memory…. some the artwork from UA's ps campaign was still on the wall.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer and DELee like this.

Last edited by OpenSky; Oct 1, 2020 at 8:51 pm
Old Oct 1, 2020, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I have fond memories of the JFK United Club while flying SPN-NRT-JFK-SFO in late February 2004 with my wife to visit my Mum for the second-to-the last time.

I flew that routing for the extra miles, the extra sleep, and to use two upgrade instruments that a generous FlyerTalker gave me before they would expire a few days later.
EWR764 and Ari like this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Yes! Plus El Al, South African, Air India, etc... should be abandoning slots -- which allows UA to enter inexpensively.

I can't wait to:
1. Hop on the 8am SFO-JFK
2. Grab the world's best falafel at Naomi's in Flushing
3. Watch a Mets game at Citi Field next door
4. Pit stop in Flushing China Town for dumplings, time permitting
5. Hop on the EWR-SFO redeye that night

Fun times ahead!!!
If you really can’t wait there are plenty of airlines flying SFO JFK tomorrow with plenty of seats available no doubt. Don’t think the westbound red eye will be flying anytime soon anyhow.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Building 213 (Tower Air Terminal)!

(I flew with Tower Air out of that terminal once....ONCE! )
There are still traces of TowerAir around JFK if you know where to look
Old Oct 2, 2020, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by UAL757222
There are still traces of TowerAir around JFK if you know where to look
Poor Tower Air... they didn't go down gracefully.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by OpenSky

For what its worth, the last time I was at Terminal 7 flying BA, I walked to the former Red Carpet club ( now AS lounge). Some sort of muscle memory…. some the artwork from UA's ps campaign was still on the wall.
I miss the Westin Renewal First Class Lounge inside the Red Carpet Club at JFK T7.
uanj and tuolumne like this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by pigx5
I miss the Westin Renewal First Class Lounge inside the Red Carpet Club at JFK T7.
was that really a Westin Renewal Lounge? I thought it was designed as a secluded place for celebrities to park themselves. Or what to do when you have a load bearing wall that cannot be removed. : )
Old Oct 3, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by uanj
was that really a Westin Renewal Lounge? I thought it was designed as a secluded place for celebrities to park themselves. Or what to do when you have a load bearing wall that cannot be removed. : )
Yes, that was the Westin Renewal Lounge inside the First Class lounge at the Red Carpet Club at JFK.
It was more like a quiet room with the Westin scent, white tea, for people to relax.
United used to have the Westin Renewal Lounge inside the Red Carpet Club at SFO, LAX and JFK.
During the same period, United also featured Westin Heavenly blanket and pillow on p.s. routes.

Westin Renewal Lounge SFO

SPN Lifer, nnn and tuolumne like this.

Last edited by pigx5; Oct 3, 2020 at 3:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.