Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's 2021 Return to JFK - Inaugural Flights on 28 March thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 31, 21, 2:24 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA514 LAX-JFK
JALOO5-Flyer 3A
tomasem

UA520 SFO-JFK

UA523 JFK-SFO
PTahCha 1F
truncated 9L
EsquireFlyer 2A
Clarkcc1 8L (will be wearing very unique shirt - you'll know who I am!)
​​FlyerBeek - 15A

UA517 JFK-LAX
J_Stroming - 11A
ORDnHKG - 22A now 15L

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 22, 21, 5:14 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist

Hello all - it appears that a number of us will be taking part of UA's return to JFK this upcoming Sunday. I figured this would be a good way for us to identify FTers who will be on those flights.

To the extent where you are comfortable sharing your travel information, you can post your flight and seat number so we can identify each other, and information will be tracked in the wiki. Unlike the Delta 777 retirement flight from JFK that I participated on, since JFK lounge information is not available at this moment, unless something changes, we unfortunately can't discuss lounge access options. If anyone has any suggestions, this would be a good place to plan a mini-do. Also, this would be a good place to add a trip report after the flights.

As a reminder, this thread is strictly related to the inaugural flights. For discussions on other JFK-related topics, such as JFK vs. EWR, JFK T7 lack of amenities, why UA is returning to JFK, UA vs DL vs AA vs B6 vs AS transcon, etc, please visit one of the existing threads:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ar-2021-a.html
FlightGlobal: United seeks return to New York JFK
United Airlines President: Leaving New Yorks JFK Was the Wrong Decision {2017}
p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015
wxguy, kirkwoodj, DELee and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 21, 11:54 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Unlike the Delta 777 retirement flight from JFK that I participated on, since JFK lounge information is not available at this moment, unless something changes, we unfortunately can't discuss lounge access options. If anyone has any suggestions, this would be a good place to plan a mini-do. Also, this would be a good place to add a trip report after the flights.
I'm booked on JFK-SFO in 9L currently (although might try to snag 1L if it opens) added to wiki.

Doubt there'll be any lounge access at JFK, but the T4 Centurion is open and am happy to guest two if people don't mind clearing TSA twice. Alternatively it seems like the lounge/bar at the TWA hotel has reopened so we could always just pay for our own drinks haha
Old Mar 25, 21, 8:03 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by truncated View Post
I'm booked on JFK-SFO in 9L currently (although might try to snag 1L if it opens) added to wiki.

Doubt there'll be any lounge access at JFK, but the T4 Centurion is open and am happy to guest two if people don't mind clearing TSA twice. Alternatively it seems like the lounge/bar at the TWA hotel has reopened so we could always just pay for our own drinks haha
Was planning to go, but had a ski trip booked when the date was changed - have fun everyone!
Old Mar 25, 21, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Mariott Platinum
Lax-Jfk

2 of us will be on the LAX departure. Still waiting for the upgrade to clear but fingers crossed!
Old Mar 25, 21, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC

If you go to T4 before the flight, just be aware after exiting terminal, you will be led to baggage claim, and will likely be greeted by National Guards.

The shortcut exit (for those w/o baggage) has been closed.
Old Mar 25, 21, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
If you go to T4 before the flight, just be aware after exiting terminal, you will be led to baggage claim, and will likely be greeted by National Guards.

I'll bet if you wave your departing boarding pass they'll let you go. Texas was doing this with their guard early in the pandemic, sending them to the gates for flights from "hotspots". They would let you go without further interaction if connecting.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Mar 25, 21, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I'll bet if you wave your departing boarding pass they'll let you go.
Correct.

Just posting a courtesy note.
Old Mar 25, 21, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Mileage Plus Silver, United Club, AA Gold, HyattGold, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by tomasem View Post
2 of us will be on the LAX departure. Still waiting for the upgrade to clear but fingers crossed!
I'd say it should have cleared by now, its wide open.
Old Mar 25, 21, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum

It is possible that National Guards will withdraw before April 1 when NYs mandatory quarantine expires.
Old Mar 26, 21, 7:21 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, OZ Diamond Plus

Hmm I flew into T4 from BOS on DL and exited via baggage claim just last month and never got stopped so I think I'll be fine also p sure I can just tell them I'm connecting onward to SFO
Old Mar 26, 21, 7:43 am

Hmm I flew into T4 from BOS on DL and exited via baggage claim just last month and never got stopped so I think I'll be fine — also p sure I can just tell them I'm connecting onward to SFO
It's been a mixed bag; sometimes you are "greeted" at the arrival gate, sometimes at baggage claim, sometimes both, and sometimes they are nowhere to be found. I have strong opinions on the subject especially since I live in NYC, but that's for another thread.

Unfortunately unable to join the journey due to prior commitment, but you and others, have a great time! Report back on your experience please.
Old Mar 26, 21, 9:41 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomasem View Post
There are 23 open seats, with only 18 people on the business class upgrade list, so I think your chance is really good! (Fingers crossed)
Old Mar 26, 21, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are 23 open seats, with only 18 people on the business class upgrade list, so I think your chance is really good! (Fingers crossed)
UA 514 (LAX-JFK, if that's the one referred to) shows 10 pax on the business u/g list; should be a safe bet.

Last edited by cesco.g; Mar 26, 21 at 10:25 am
Old Mar 26, 21, 10:17 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
UA 514 (LAX-EWR, if that's the one referred to) shows 10 pax on the business u/g list; should be a safe bet.
OP is going to JFK, but correct flight number.

Also, there's a second page on that upgrade list.
Old Mar 26, 21, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP is going to JFK, but correct flight number.

Also, there's a second page on that upgrade list.
Hmm interesting. The phone App only shows 10, and the website indeed shows 18 - unless I miss something on the App.....

(Mixed up EWR/JFK)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: