Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Start of service has been delayed -- now 28 March 2021
In April 2021, single flight M,Th,F,Sa,Su
SFO UA520,UA523
LAX UA514, UA517
UA's 2021 Return to JFK - Inaugural Flights on 28 March thread

AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

We are Back! United Announces Return to New York's JFK Airport

Airline to offer new transcontinental service from JFK to the west coast starting February 1

November 10, 2020
-- United Airlines announced today that it will be returning service to New York City's John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) on February 1, 2021 with nonstop service to the west coast. The airline's entry back into JFK after five years reflects not only its strong commitment to the New York City area, but a continuation of aggressively and strategically managing the impact of COVID-19 by increasing service to and from the places where customers want to fly. The new United service will operate out of Terminal 7.

Effective February of next year, United will serve both JFK to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and JFK to San Francisco International Airport (SFO) with two round-trips for each west coast city. The flights will utilize the reconfigured Boeing 767-300ER aircraft on the routes offering customers an extended premium cabin featuring 16 additional United Business class seats –providing all-aisle-access seating – bringing the total premium cabin seat count to 46. The aircraft will also feature 22 United Premium Plus® seats, 47 Economy Plus® seats and 52 Economy seats. United offers the most premium seats between the New York City area and Los Angeles and San Francisco markets. Tickets are now available for purchase on United.com.

"I have been waiting a long time to say this - United Airlines is back at JFK," said United's Chief Executive Officer Scott Kirby. "Come early next year, we will be serving all three major New York City area airports with a best-in-class product to provide our customers unmatched transcontinental service from New York City and the west coast."

"The upcoming return of United to JFK while continuing service at Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports will offer more choices for transcontinental flights just as travelers return to the skies," said Kevin O'Toole, Chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As the recovery begins, we're pleased to see these increased options for those who choose to fly in and out of the Port Authority's airports."

"United Airlines' return to JFK Airport is a clear sign that air travel is returning in New York and across the region," said Rick Cotton, Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "As numbers start to rise, the Port Authority is ready to welcome travelers back to JFK, Newark Liberty and LaGuardia Airports with increased cleaning and sanitizing in all terminals and touch-free options from curb to gate to ensure a world-class travel experience even in these unprecedented times."

United's premium cabin will feature flat-bed seats on all flights similar to the current Newark-Los Angeles and Newark-San Francisco offerings, providing a consistent and comprehensive NYC-west coast product. Additionally, United's wide-body service can participate in the robust cargo market between JFK and the west coast.
Earlier related threads
FlightGlobal: United seeks return to New York JFK
United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}
p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015
Print Wikipost

UA service JFK<> SFO/LAX , experiences, lounge, ....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by ordogg
https://onemileatatime.com/united-airlines-jfk-airport/

Fun fact, I was the last UA pax to board a UA flight at JFK.
Are you going to try to be the first to board the new UA JFK flights starting in Feb 2021? I remember sbm12 ( seth) being the last "Continental" passenger to board. No doubt there will be a contest...
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by PTahCha
I'm glad to see this development, especially eliminate the need to drive down to Newark from Connecticut. They are not only bringing JFK back, but also putting 767 back on transcon flights to/from JFK.

They have already updated the premium transcon description - adding JFK, but dropping BOS.

The question now is how are they going to offer lounge access, either with AS or BA? With AS offering the same transcon flights, I find it unlikely for UA to use the AS lounge. Maybe they'll build a pop-up lounge, similar to EWR.
Quite likely. Conversion to a UC from an AL seems logical given the PS market, UA's need for it and their ability to make a decent offer for it.

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
AS contracts with UA for its passengers to use the United Club at MSP, PHL, PHX, and DCA. I expect there will not be an issue for UA to use the club. As far as competition, AS has not served LAX from JFK in months, and its return (and the fate of AS entire transcon strategy ex LAX/SFO) seems in question. I could see the club becoming a JV with UA, or even converting to United Club, depending on the timeline for T7's demise.
Exactly, AS @ JFK is almost nonexistent these days. My $$$'s on a conversion.

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
AS seems unlikely, that lounge gets quite crowded - never done terraces.
Not for months, as it's been closed since the pandemic began.

Originally Posted by boycruz
ANy thoughts AS might get rid of their lounge
as they move to AA terminal
It wouldn't surprise me at all. As discussed on the AS forum, the almost completed SFO lounge stopped construction due to Covid, was then announced as a late Fall '20 opening, then pushed to 2021, and within the last week all mention of it has been scrubbed from the AS website. Alaska is retreating from beyond their currently open lounges (ANC, SEA, PDX, LAX) and their partner lounges.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure why everyone is so excited about this except for maybe nostalgia. Yes, I can see if you're in Brooklyn/Queens/LI/CT this is better than EWR. But it's also only good if your origin or destination is JFK; United is never going to have a strong connection network there as anything it adds on from JFK is going to cannibalize EWR.

Additionally, splitting frequency from SFO/LAX - NYC between two airports means fewer options during IRROPS. There's nothing worse than being in an IRROPS situation when there's low frequency on the route you need to fly.

Now, if either EWR or JFK had a one seat rail connection to Manhattan, then I'd be interested.
Wyfind likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Are you going to try to be the first to board the new UA JFK flights starting in Feb 2021? I remember sbm12 ( seth) being the last "Continental" passenger to board. No doubt there will be a contest...
I’m booked
EWR764 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by ordogg
I’m booked
Yes, but will SQ's FRA-JFK be back in time for a cool transfer?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:56 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
UA is going to burn money (big expensive plane to fly, and with only two flights/day) to try to reestablish this route, especially with DL (and AA) having high quality service, which is more frequent. All I can say is that the damage in NOT having JFK service to SFO/LAX must have been quite substantial (as I and others predicted) to be willing to run this kind of service to try to get it reestablished.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 10, 2020 at 11:09 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
Not sure why everyone is so excited about this except for maybe nostalgia.
It's to conveniently transfer from SQ's FRA-JFK route! Who else serves Singapore slings, or brings you bday cakes/singing transatlantic? Of course, it would be nostalgia to even see SQ at JFK now.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Glad to see it back! Feels like a huge amount of vindication for those that questioned it at the time.

Looks like they might even try beyond SFO/LAX eventually too. Would love to see LHR come back
DELee likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by spin88
UA is going to burn money (big expensive plane to fly, and with only two flights/day) to try to reestablish this route, especially with DL (and AA) having high quality service, which is more frequent. All I can say is that the damage in NOT having JFK service to SFO/LAX must have been quite substantial (as I and others predicted) to be willing to run this kind of service to try to get it reestablished.
I'm not sure what you mean by DL's high quality service. Yes, their FA tends to be better service-oriented. At the same time, as of now, outside of blocking a seat next to you, DL's coach service is comparable to Southwest, with only water bottle and snack bag. In D1, they'll give you beer and wine with a snack box and that's it - no real food. I brought my own sandwich in C+ on the DL 777 retirement flight from JFK-LAX.

AA probably has the best soft transcon product right now, with 5 wine options poured from bottle, 4 entree choices, and a full bar, with snack basket toward the end of the flight.

UA's return to JFK is probably the best it can do, given the circumstances and slot restrictions. It's an investment for when business travel returns, it'll be there to provide the service, especially with Polaris seats that are competitive with AA/DL/B6, and re-establishing the connectivity with its JV partners at JFK.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Doppy
Not sure why everyone is so excited about this except for maybe nostalgia.
Yes! I would fly it for nostalgia reason.
I started flying in and out of JFK during the Pan Am days prior to flying United.
MIA-JFK (763) then onto NRT (742-SP) on United in the 90s on was one of my frequent routes in addition to flight 1/2 RTW JFK-LHR-JFK.
Of course the original PS service introduced in the early 2000s got me to fly IAD-JFK-SFO/LAX-JFK-IAD to enjoy the original SQ Spacebed seats installed in the first class cabin of the original. three-class PS 757 fleet.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Yes! I would fly it for nostalgia reason.
I started flying in and out of JFK during the Pan Am days prior to flying United.
MIA-JFK (763) then onto NRT (742-SP) on United in the 90s on was one of my frequent routes in addition to flight 1/2 RTW JFK-LHR-JFK.
Of course the original PS service introduced in the early 2000s got me to fly IAD-JFK-SFO/LAX-JFK-IAD to enjoy the original SQ Spacebed seats installed in the first class cabin of the original. three-class PS 757 fleet.
Yep, I too, would trek out of the way with IAD-JFK-SFO/LAX. But only a minuscule amount of us exist who aren't in a rush and just want the best experience
Old Nov 11, 2020, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by seat38a
Each airline is supposed to fork over the money for the terminal rebuild that they would be operating out of. With the current situation, I doubt any airline has the funds to tear down T7 and rebuild it now or for year to come.
https://www.archpaper.com/2020/08/co...port-overhaul/
There is no indication that jetBlue has delayed its project as of now. T-1 is a different story given the great financial trouble that international airlines are experiencing and the drop in international demand. JetBlue has internal expectations to be back to pre-pandemic # of flight sometimes next year due to its partnership with AA and the likely recovery in domestic and Caribbean leisure. There is no indication that they won't start work on T-7 once BA's current lease ends in 2023.

This is not a permanent solution for UA. They should get on the phone with B6 or someone else and work out a permanent home. Otherwise, they are just going to be moving around between suboptimal facilities at JFK.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 5:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Yes! Great news! I haven’t been here recently and was so pleased and surprised to get the email.

Anything that reverses Smisek and acknowledges the truth that PMUA had it right is a positive.

763 High J with PP is a winner.

Dare we dream JFK-LHR someday too?

And how about a redeye?
Old Nov 11, 2020, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The transcons are great, but I don't see JFK being that relevant as a feeder airport. So it's useful to people who live in the catchment area of both coasts, but ultimately EWR is the super hub and that's not going to change. I suppose I have just stated the obvious.

There was a poster who, a few years ago, lamented at the perception of JFK as a kind of well-heeled private terminal experience, and EWR as akin to a supermax. I wish I could find that post.

Edit: I found that post:

FlightGlobal: United seeks return to New York JFK
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seat38a
With AS cozying up with AA and joining OneWorld, I wonder if AS will move over to terminal 8 with AA. I believe BA is on their way out to terminal 8 in couple of years as well. Not sure what the future of T7 is but if AS and when BA moves to T8, that would give United sole use of T7 with plenty of lounge spaces. IF, I say IF United decides to run international out of JFK, those BA lounges probably could easily be converted to Polaris Lounge.
T7 is slated for demolition in 2023 to make room for an expanded T5.

https://www.archpaper.com/2020/08/co...port-overhaul/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.