FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United COO to employees: Consider voluntary separation / New 2021 separation program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2017125-united-coo-employees-consider-voluntary-separation-new-2021-separation-program.html)

Bear96 Jan 22, 2021 2:04 pm

The government money they just got doesn't really go to the corporation's pockets. It goes to employee payroll. If UA didn't get it, they would have just kept people on furlough / layoff status instead of recalling them and retro-paying them from December 1.

That is why Kirby is already saying people can expect people to be re-laid-off after March 31 when that funding ends, unless it is extended again. No real difference to UA; they either get the money to recall employees and pay them, or they don't get it and keep them laid off.

Clarkcc1 Jan 25, 2021 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32987551)
which itself came after United unjustly enriched shareholders and is now dumping the cost of that incompetence on the US taxpayer and United employees

Corporate malfeasance or kowtowing to the investor class rather than re-investing in the company, its people, etc. are likely more appropriate terms. They knew what they were doing didn't balance more stakeholders' interests.

WineCountryUA Jan 30, 2021 11:09 am

United Airlines warns thousands of employees that their jobs are again at risk, labor unions seek more government aid

• United Airlines said the jobs of roughly 14,000 employees are at risk when federal aid expires this spring.
  • United and American have called back thousands of furloughed workers under an agreement for $15 billion in additional federal aid for the industry.
  • The companies are required by law to inform employees if their jobs are at risk, but it doesn’t mean they will ultimately all be cut.

Seem to be an announcement that should not be a surprise

Lurchthunde Jan 30, 2021 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33004962)
Seem to be an announcement that should not be a surprise

I do know the Q4 earnings reports from airlines were pretty rough -- but at the same time, with the vaccine distribution now moving forward at a decent clip, I wonder how much political will there will be for another round of aid...

SPLITTERZ Jan 30, 2021 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Lurchthunde (Post 33005199)
I do know the Q4 earnings reports from airlines were pretty rough -- but at the same time, with the vaccine distribution now moving forward at a decent clip, I wonder how much political will there will be for another round of aid...

I'm sure a lot. Hopefully, any more covid relief is directed to the people instead of subsidizing workforces that are too big for the current market.

Lurchthunde Jan 30, 2021 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ (Post 33005208)
I'm sure a lot. Hopefully, any more covid relief is directed to the people instead of subsidizing workforces that are too big for the current market.

Sorry - I should've specified aid for large businesses and enterprises.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jan 30, 2021 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ (Post 33005208)

Subsidies for workforces that are too big would just shift to unemployment subsidies if those people were let go. At the time of the original Covid relief legislation, no one could have predicted how long it would last. If you told me in 1st quarter of last year that travel would be as impacted as it is now, I probably wouldn't have believed you. One does not want to cut to the bone and then find yourself short-handed when things rebound.

WineCountryUA Jan 30, 2021 1:42 pm

Let's not go OMNI, there is plenty of discussion in the OMNI forum on the status / breath of future COVID aid packages --- let's continue that discussion there and stay focus on what UA is doing here.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

SPLITTERZ Jan 31, 2021 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 33005220)
Subsidies for workforces that are too big would just shift to unemployment subsidies if those people were let go. At the time of the original Covid relief legislation, no one could have predicted how long it would last. If you told me in 1st quarter of last year that travel would be as impacted as it is now, I probably wouldn't have believed you. One does not want to cut to the bone and then find yourself short-handed when things rebound.

No, but we shouldn’t pick who survives or not this unfortunate situation. That’s my issue with airline handouts during this pandemic. Other businesses have not been nearly as fortunate. It’s also why we have unemployment.

cesco.g Feb 8, 2021 11:15 pm

Looks like the latest $1.9 T stimulus has $14 B earmarked for airline employee retentions.

JimInOhio Feb 10, 2021 6:31 am

Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ (Post 33008119)
No, but we shouldn’t pick who survives or not this unfortunate situation. That’s my issue with airline handouts during this pandemic. Other businesses have not been nearly as fortunate. It’s also why we have unemployment.

There are some special situations regarding the US airline industry, though. I think most would say the government wouldn't allow a merger between any two of UA, AA, or DL... plus throw in WN for good measure. Allowing one or more to fail, however, would cause the same result.

Specific to UA, they are going to need the pilots which they are trying to keep employed through this government support program. In fact, I heard there even might be a need to start hiring more before the end of the year.

travelinmanS Feb 10, 2021 7:53 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 33027999)
There are some special situations regarding the US airline industry, though. I think most would say the government wouldn't allow a merger between any two of UA, AA, or DL... plus throw in WN for good measure. Allowing one or more to fail, however, would cause the same result.

Specific to UA, they are going to need the pilots which they are trying to keep employed through this government support program. In fact, I heard there even might be a need to start hiring more before the end of the year.

Curious where you heard they might need to hire more pilots this year. Seems absurd to me on the surface but maybe there is a valid reason.

JimInOhio Feb 10, 2021 8:20 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 33028157)
Curious where you heard they might need to hire more pilots this year. Seems absurd to me on the surface but maybe there is a valid reason.

Was mentioned to me by a UA pilot. They would need to start hiring this year for needs next year.

LarryJ Feb 10, 2021 9:27 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 33028157)

It all depends on the projected schedule for the summer of 2022. If more pilots will be needed for the summer 2022 then pilot hiring would need to start in the second half of 2021 to allow time for the required new-hire, initial, transition, and upgrade training.

The first step in that process would be interviewing. Interviewing is relatively inexpensive so they could proceed with interviewing well before the summer 2022 schedule is known. That would put them in a position to be ready to hire and train if, later on, they decide to staff for a strong summer 2022 schedule.

I have no predictions on hiring or the state of the summer 2022 schedule. The first indication could be whether or not there is any pilot interviewing in late Spring and Summer of this year.

SPLITTERZ Feb 10, 2021 10:11 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ (Post 33028353)
It all depends on the projected schedule for the summer of 2022. If more pilots will be needed for the summer 2022 then pilot hiring would need to start in the second half of 2021 to allow time for the required new-hire, initial, transition, and upgrade training.

The first step in that process would be interviewing. Interviewing is relatively inexpensive so they could proceed with interviewing well before the summer 2022 schedule is known. That would put them in a position to be ready to hire and train if, later on, they decide to staff for a strong summer 2022 schedule.

I have no predictions on hiring or the state of the summer 2022 schedule. The first indication could be whether or not there is any pilot interviewing in late Spring and Summer of this year.

During an open community update to United's Aviate program, the employees presenting (pilots) anticipated hiring later this year.