Search

UA's dubious cleaning procedure

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by TBD
Excoriate United (and others) all you want for what you perceive as the wrong move. Unless you're a microbiologist or epidemiologist, you aren't really qualified to evaluate the situation in the first place.
Hmm.

https://xkcd.com/2300/

David
TBD likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Mama
So I was correct all along. United's FA did not clean toilets in first, business, or economy (before COVID-19), because it was not their job.
I wouldn’t have expected the FAs to clean the lavs on the ground...
Old May 1, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1k, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, National Exec Elite
Its just marketing, good or bad. I've seen the actual cleaners recently, they're all wearing masks now and then some.
narvik likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:51 pm
Suspended

So I was correct all along. United's FA did not clean toilets in first, business, or economy (before COVID-19), because it was not their job.
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I wouldn’t have expected the FAs to clean the lavs on the ground...
Hmmm...I didn't know the toilets on the ground are categorized as first, business, or economy. Can you tell me which airport has them?
Old May 1, 2020, 3:22 pm

They detailed their cleaning process in the earnings filings today and it said they expect to have the process completed sooner. Kind of an odd thing the way they phrased it.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Hmmm...I didn't know the toilets on the ground are categorized as first, business, or economy. Can you tell me which airport has them?
The post you quoted referred to the lavs in question.

The FA's are part of the cleaning process now. I have seen a FA touch up the FC lav recently & I have talked to FA's & they are doing some form of cleaning on the ground. Especially on "turns" or connections where cleaners would not normally enter the planes.
I thought cleaners would go onboard after every landing.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:18 pm

Strictly to remove trash. Certainly very little if anything was cleaned during a standard turn.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
UA's cleaning procedure was always dubious - slapping masks and gloves on the same cleaners doing sloppy, substandard work doesn't result in the aircraft being any cleaner. I am not planning to travel until I have enough disinfectant wipes on hand for my usual cleaning procedure after boarding, which has always been substantially better than anything done by UA's cleaning contractors.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:01 am
Suspended

The FA job starts when they enter the aircraft, that is when their pay clock start ticking. Their jobs end when they exit the aircraft and their pay clock stop.
Their pay clock has nothing to do with airplane being in the air or on the ground, and has nothing to do with COVID-19.
I will now explicitly tell you that UA flight attendants did not clean airplane lavatories either in the air or on the ground. There were numerous times that I saw the lavatory was dirty and the FA just locked it up and tell passengers it's broken.
If it is true that FA are cleaning the lav now, I applaud their new task on the job.

Last edited by Mama; May 2, 2020 at 1:39 am
Old May 2, 2020, 1:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's stay with the present and what is happening now. The past is not relevant to this thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 4, 2020, 12:40 am

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Uh,...NO

Inaccurate, Mama. Clock starts when door closes. All that assistance with getting pax into seats and luggage stowed is off the clock.

The FA job starts when they enter the aircraft, that is when their pay clock start ticking. Their jobs end when they exit the aircraft and their pay clock stop.
Their pay clock has nothing to do with airplane being in the air or on the ground, and has nothing to do with COVID-19.
I will now explicitly tell you that UA flight attendants did not clean airplane lavatories either in the air or on the ground. There were numerous times that I saw the lavatory was dirty and the FA just locked it up and tell passengers it's broken.
If it is true that FA are cleaning the lav now, I applaud their new task on the job.
SPN Lifer and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
Airplane cleaning

Received an email this morning from Flyertalk and noticed that everyone cleaning the Polaris class area was missing something " A MASK".
Why are they not required to wear a mask when flight attendants and passengers need them to prevent passing the virus in airborne form?
How can the area be clean when none of the cleaners are wearing a mask?
They are cleaning and polluting all at the same time.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
most of the time these photos are taken from the archive ...
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by shelby101
Received an email this morning from Flyertalk and noticed that everyone cleaning the Polaris class area was missing something " A MASK".
Why are they not required to wear a mask when flight attendants and passengers need them to prevent passing the virus in airborne form?
How can the area be clean when none of the cleaners are wearing a mask?
They are cleaning and polluting all at the same time.
Yep, discussed here: UA's dubious cleaning procedure
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For general discussion of UA's present COVID precautions, please use UA COVID19 precautions: no longer blocking middle seats ,**REQUIRING** mask usage,
This thread can be about these "dated" photos

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.