Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces Q1 2020 Financial Results 30 April / Conference Call 01 May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Announces Q1 2020 Financial Results 30 April / Conference Call 01 May

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:19 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The CARES Act grant doesn't cover payroll. It is equal to the 2019 payroll during the same time period. Each airline has more employees, and employees have a higher average pay rate, than in 2019 so the grant falls short.

Many of the crewmembers who have taken voluntary reduce or no-pay lines either have high-risk family members or have a difficult commute with the reduced schedules.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
Notable is that UA expects to be burning cash at a rate of $40 to 45m per day throughout the quarter, which compares favorably to Delta ($50m/day target by May) and American (>$70m/day currently, expected to get to $50m by June). It's more in line with Southwest, which is reporting $30-35m/day cash burn. UA and DL each plan to end the quarter with around $10b in liquidity, while American will be at around $11b. The market reacted favorably to the disclosure that United isn't lighting cash on fire quite as efficiently as its peers... but it's close. United's international exposure still represents a lot of risk as we move forward, at least as compared to AA/DL/WN. That is priced into United's valuation right now, which is more aligned with AA, despite a healthier balance sheet and better cash burn rate, than DL/WN.

Cash is the name of the game right now and it's critically important that UA try to burn less of it as we hopefully are beginning the slow crawl up from the bottom.
It’s difficult to compare the cash burn rates among airlines - as stated - because not everyone is treating refunds of Air Traffic Liabilities consistently. Southwest’s burn rate excludes ATL refunds, while AA has very a very aggressive increase in the forward booking curve and slowing of refunds. Delta’s cash burn rate assumes negative net bookings for a few more months. We will know what United’s number includes after the earnings call.

Regardless, United is doing a solid job trying to manage through this crisis. They started off in a weaker financial position than Southwest or Delta, but have moved more aggressively to right size and may come out better positioned. That all depends on how/when demand recovers.

What’s clear to me is that AA is not in a good place and will almost certainly need to reorganize. I don’t see a similar conversation happening for United right now.
tuolumne likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The CARES Act grant doesn't cover payroll. It is equal to the 2019 payroll during the same time period. Each airline has more employees, and employees have a higher average pay rate, than in 2019 so the grant falls short.

Many of the crewmembers who have taken voluntary reduce or no-pay lines either have high-risk family members or have a difficult commute with the reduced schedules.
Right, but with 20k employees taking up some of the VLOA, early-out and reduced hour options (roughly 20% of the workforce) one would think that could make up the difference between 3Q19 and 3Q20 payroll? That's why I'm curious to see how the grant plays out in light of voluntary leaves. The government was quite explicit in conditioning the manner in which funds were to be disbursed and used by the airlines.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I never understood why so many UA and Delta employees took voluntary furloughs. Why would you furlough yourself if the government was willing to pay your salary? Maybe an airline employee can explain to us how it works.
spartacusmcfly,
i was thinking the same thing until i was speaking to a few ual agents in denver and they have been told that all customer service and ground workers are being forced to part time from full time, i guess when oscar,doug and ed helped write the cares act they left that little loophole in there, if true that would essentially amount to a 50% paycut for any full time ground worker at united, their reasoning for taking a voluntary furlough is they can tap into unemployment pay and i guess qualify for the additional $600 per week that was written into the package for those that were furloughed due to covid19.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Presently back to where UA was before announcing the stock offering, slight bump in today's aftermarket. The extra $1B is looking pretty good at the moment,
Down 6% today
Old May 1, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by cosflyer
spartacusmcfly,
i was thinking the same thing until i was speaking to a few ual agents in denver and they have been told that all customer service and ground workers are being forced to part time from full time, i guess when oscar,doug and ed helped write the cares act they left that little loophole in there, if true that would essentially amount to a 50% paycut for any full time ground worker at united, their reasoning for taking a voluntary furlough is they can tap into unemployment pay and i guess qualify for the additional $600 per week that was written into the package for those that were furloughed due to covid19.
can they do that without union approval? I was told agents were on a 2 week on 2 week off period, all while being paid.
Old May 1, 2020, 8:25 am

Should come as no surprise, but most real estate projects have been suspended, including the United Club projects at ORD, EWR, IAD (assuming IAD is Polaris Lounge).
Old May 1, 2020, 9:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
Down 6% today
As is also DAL, AAL, LUV, .... stocks trend to move as a group
Old May 1, 2020, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
It’s difficult to compare the cash burn rates among airlines - as stated - because not everyone is treating refunds of Air Traffic Liabilities consistently. Southwest’s burn rate excludes ATL refunds, while AA has very a very aggressive increase in the forward booking curve and slowing of refunds. Delta’s cash burn rate assumes negative net bookings for a few more months. We will know what United’s number includes after the earnings call.

Regardless, United is doing a solid job trying to manage through this crisis. They started off in a weaker financial position than Southwest or Delta, but have moved more aggressively to right size and may come out better positioned. That all depends on how/when demand recovers.

What’s clear to me is that AA is not in a good place and will almost certainly need to reorganize. I don’t see a similar conversation happening for United right now.
I’m very curious if this virus will be what ousts Doug Parker over at AMR. Burning $70 million a day while DAL and UAL are burning much less has got to be getting the board and shareholders’ attention
Old May 1, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As is also DAL, AAL, LUV, .... stocks trend to move as a group
never suggested it was only UA
Old May 1, 2020, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by UAL757222
I’m very curious if this virus will be what ousts Doug Parker over at AMR. Burning $70 million a day while DAL and UAL are burning much less has got to be getting the board and shareholders’ attention
Ironically, it might have bought him a lot of time, if not saved him outright. A "no confidence" ouster and management upheaval right now would materially hinder AA's ability to privately raise cash, which all the airlines are looking to do, before going to the Fed.

Right now, the most important thing is to project some stability of leadership, and make changes, if necessary, when the dust settles.
tuolumne and UAL757222 like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by UAL757222
The burn includes required debt payments. AA simply has more debt, so the burn will be higher... It's not that they're being irresponsible or slow in cutting discretionary expenditures.

As for the board, they should look in the mirror. They approved a growth plan that relied on so much more debt than the rest of the industry.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fly18725
Regardless, United is doing a solid job trying to manage through this crisis.
This doesn’t surprise me. The CFO did, after all, survive the Lorenzo era. If those times didn’t count as “every trick in the book to survive” - I don’t know what would. And there’s much much more government support and public interest in United’s survival today than he dealt with then. Granted, in a different role, but still finance.

I’m heartened by what I see. The fruits of Oscar’s labor run deep. It’s apparent to see management’s culture towards doing everything they can to be there for their employees first - that hasn’t always been a hallmark of this company.

I think they’ll be fine. I can say - once the shackles come off - I look forward to many many more years of Flying the Friendly Skies - and only Friendly Skies.
Old May 2, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
It’s apparent to see management’s culture towards doing everything they can to be there for their employees first .
Well, except for the part about moving employees to part-time so UA can still cut payroll costs will getting government money to maintain payroll.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coron...it4-story.html
Old May 2, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold

Josh Hawley

@HawleyMO
My letter to
@united
airlines CEO. Congress gave you money to pay your workers. So pay them. No tricks, no excuses
7:08 PM · May 1, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.