Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by narvik
Is this true? (I haven't been flying since February, so don't know.)
YMMV and I don't have a sample big enough to say definitively, but in my case I've seen everything from "we're in a potential over-sale situation and are looking for volunteers who have the flexibility to wait the 24+ hours until our next flight to this destination" to "this isn't a very full flight so there should be no problem with getting your carry-ons onboard" -- The majority of my flights have been in the former category, my flights on Friday were in the latter (probably around 80% and 70% respectively)

On the mainline side I have seen some swapping going on not just Day of Departure. One of my flights was a 738 when booked, turned into a 73G, then a 739, then a 738, back to a 73G, sat there for a while, became a 738, and then at some point after I checked in but before departure was a 739... I imagine with the 73x and the A319/20 fleets this is relatively easy to do given the number of frames sititng in hubs, the number of FAs in ready rooms at the airport and the common type ratings not really impacting the CA/FO at all.
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
...all high-touch surfaces are wiped down to eliminate bacteria.
Ok but I'd be more interested if they were wiping down surfaces to eliminate viruses...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by threeoh
Ok but I'd be more interested if they were wiping down surfaces to eliminate viruses...
Ah, you noticed that too. It is a bit curious that they're making so much theater regarding cleaning and not specifically addressing virii.

David
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by DELee
Ah, you noticed that too. It is a bit curious that they're making so much theater regarding cleaning and not specifically addressing virii.

David
I think this is nitpicking a bit. Sure, they could have used the specific work "virus", but It is pretty clear to me that the upgraded cleaning procedures (and advertising of it) are in response to the COVID-19 issue & are targeted to mitigate the associated risk.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I think this is nitpicking a bit. Sure, they could have used the specific work "virus", but It is pretty clear to me that the upgraded cleaning procedures (and advertising of it) are in response to the COVID-19 issue & are targeted to mitigate the associated risk.
Perhaps. But if the objective is to eliminate/remove/destroy virii such as CV-19, then their procedures need to be identified that actually do so (and maybe with the probability of success provided).

Otherwise it is still all theater.

David
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Early in the pandemic I went to Walgreens and it was a madhouse and this one person kept shouting at the sales associate that she needed ANTIBACTERIAL SOAP (they were sold out) because SHE DIDN'T WANT TO GET CORONAVIRUS.

Which for a rando in a chain pharmacy, sure, but you'd think a global airline could get it right.
lincolnjkc, st3 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... you'd think a global airline could get it right.
Yes, a poor choice of word for the press release but reading the full release or following on to united.com/cleanplus makes it clear the difference is well understood.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:47 am

United extends mask mandate to airports, cracks down on exemptions.

https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSL2N2ET02V
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Perhaps. But if the objective is to eliminate/remove/destroy virii such as CV-19, then their procedures need to be identified that actually do so (and maybe with the probability of success provided).
So what if they said bacteria instead of viruses? The wiping down addresses both using common cleaning products with chlorine or alcohol or other chemicals.

Early in the pandemic I went to Walgreens and it was a madhouse and this one person kept shouting at the sales associate that she needed ANTIBACTERIAL SOAP (they were sold out) because SHE DIDN'T WANT TO GET CORONAVIRUS.

Which for a rando in a chain pharmacy, sure, but you'd think a global airline could get it right.
What do you mean by "get it right"? The rando at Walgreens got it wrong. Just plain soap is what you need for coronavirus. The antibacterial additive isn't needed for CV-19 (and is likely counterproductive as overuse will lead to resistant bacteria).
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
United extends mask mandate to airports, cracks down on exemptions.

https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSL2N2ET02V
How can United enforce mask usage in the airport? I would think that would be up to the local airport authority or city to create and enforce such a rule.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
How can United enforce mask usage in the airport?
Looks like it's UA-controlled areas like lounges, ticket counters, and gates.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
How can United enforce mask usage in the airport? I would think that would be up to the local airport authority or city to create and enforce such a rule.
I agree with this. Although common sense says everyone should be wearing a mask in a public space like an airport, I don't see how United can enforce mask usage at places like baggage claim which are airport property, not airline. At the end of the day, if a customer doesn't wear a mask at baggage claim United has no recourse and can't not deliver your bag because of it.

-RM
MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:20 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I agree with this. Although common sense says everyone should be wearing a mask in a public space like an airport, I don't see how United can enforce mask usage at places like baggage claim which are airport property, not airline. At the end of the day, if a customer doesn't wear a mask at baggage claim United has no recourse and can't not deliver your bag because of it.

-RM
I would say at the end of the day, you’re right. But at the beginning of the day they can do anything they want and not let you check your bag or let you board
GuyIncognito likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
So what if they said bacteria instead of viruses? The wiping down addresses both using common cleaning products with chlorine or alcohol or other chemicals.
The biology is different. The efficacy of different cleaning products specific to virii and, in this case, a specific family of virii, versus (all/some) bacteria is relevant as you indicated in your second line of response:

The antibacterial additive isn't needed for CV-19 (and is likely counterproductive as overuse will lead to resistant bacteria).
David
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How can United enforce mask usage in the airport?
The same way that they can do it on a plane: by refusing to allow you to fly with them again in the future. Of course, that assumes that they can figure out your name and that you're a UA customer in the first place. Then again, it's all theater anyway, so UA is free to make up whatever policies they want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.