Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Aircraft changes to premium transcon flights; widebody to narrow or nonlayflat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft changes to premium transcon flights; widebody to narrow or nonlayflat

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Out of curiosity, is the service level the same Premium Transcon service is has it reverted to standard First service level?
Old May 2, 2020, 6:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NoDestinations
Out of curiosity, is the service level the same Premium Transcon service is has it reverted to standard First service level?
Nowadays there is neither "same Premium Transcon service" or "standard First service"
COVID-19 UA inflight service changes
Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.
Lots of discussion in the referenced thread.
Old May 3, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Without scrolling through, just curious - are the ex p.s. flights still catered with a meal in F, or no meal at all (like other domestic flights).
Old May 3, 2020, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by findark
Without scrolling through, just curious - are the ex p.s. flights still catered with a meal in F, or no meal at all (like other domestic flights).
Your answer is in the post immediately preceding yours - no need to scroll at all.
Old May 3, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Flight has been booked and I’m not showing on the upgrade list. Thoughts on using 20 plus points to upgrade? Considerations:

Pros:
  1. Potentially greater social distance - economy is fairly full given the circumstances (first is booked 2/12 with 2 on upgrade list)
  2. Meal
  3. Beer / Wine available
  4. Potentially more comfortable seat (haven’t flown A319 in first before)

Cons:
  1. Would likely have row to myself in E+
  2. Pretty weak use of plus points relative to normal lay flat seating

For what it’s worth, I have 40 PP and historically haven’t had success using them on my typical EWR-LAX/SNA/SFO routes. Used last years on a non-PS transcon and a midcon in January before they expired.

Thanks
Old May 3, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by EWRSNA
Flight has been booked and I’m not showing on the upgrade list. Thoughts on using 20 plus points to upgrade? Considerations:

Pros:
  1. Potentially greater social distance - economy is fairly full given the circumstances (first is booked 2/12 with 2 on upgrade list)
  2. Meal
  3. Beer / Wine available
  4. Potentially more comfortable seat (haven’t flown A319 in first before)

Cons:
  1. Would likely have row to myself in E+
  2. Pretty weak use of plus points relative to normal lay flat seating

For what it’s worth, I have 40 PP and historically haven’t had success using them on my typical EWR-LAX/SNA/SFO routes. Used last years on a non-PS transcon and a midcon in January before they expired.

Thanks
Why would you waste the points??

You will get better value bringing your own sandwich, asking for a bottle of water (hopefully cool), and stretching out in an entire row of E+, thereby maintaining better social distancing from your neighbors.

Up front, you cannot stretch out in standard F seats, maintain better social distancing or eat any better than what your bringing on board for yourself would provide. (I would maintain worse).

Before Covid, flying was a sometimes miserable experience alleviated by flying a PS route. Covid just magnified the miserable by eliminating any of the PS benefits (which we paid dearly for). The only good Covid did was to drive off 90% of the traffic so you at least can maintain some semblance of social distancing on and off-board the plane while traveling.
Dublin_rfk and EWRSNA like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Why would you waste the points??

You will get better value bringing your own sandwich, asking for a bottle of water (hopefully cool), and stretching out in an entire row of E+, thereby maintaining better social distancing from your neighbors.

Up front, you cannot stretch out in standard F seats, maintain better social distancing or eat any better than what your bringing on board for yourself would provide. (I would maintain worse).

Before Covid, flying was a sometimes miserable experience alleviated by flying a PS route. Covid just magnified the miserable by eliminating any of the PS benefits (which we paid dearly for). The only good Covid did was to drive off 90% of the traffic so you at least can maintain some semblance of social distancing on and off-board the plane while traveling.
Depends on how you figure the value of soft product vs hard product. On UA, the soft product is variable. For hard product, for someone who’s 6’3”, a recliner chair is something, on which I’d probably expend 40 +P on a ~7-hour flight.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Value is always subjective. Many people would prefer the extra pitch in domestic F to the possibility of an extra seat or two in Y.

Agreed that the soft product in whatever class, is no longer meaningful. It's going to be that way for a long time until carriers figure out what the future holds.
Old May 3, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Personally - depends on when the flight is. If it is sooner, you will probably get CPU'ed anyways (I think most of the A319s have 12F now). If not...you will undoubtedly get your whole row in Y to sleep in. I wouldn't really care much one way or another nowadays.
Old May 3, 2020, 5:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Personally - depends on when the flight is. If it is sooner, you will probably get CPU'ed anyways (I think most of the A319s have 12F now). ....
The issue is BOS-SFO is still listed as a non-CPU route.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: UA Silver, CX Green
I am planning to fly from LAX to EWR in business on 5/19. How likely is United going to swap the 737 for the 787? I am thinking of rescheduling to 6/4 because I want to fly the true Polaris instead of a recliner lazy boy chair. Is the 787 at risk of being removed form 6/4 as well? Please let me know your thoughts.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Austin Luo
I am planning to fly from LAX to EWR in business on 5/19. How likely is United going to swap the 737 for the 787? I am thinking of rescheduling to 6/4 because I want to fly the true Polaris instead of a recliner lazy boy chair. Is the 787 at risk of being removed form 6/4 as well? Please let me know your thoughts.
If you can delay your trip you should, if you have to travel it shouldn't matter what the seat is.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Austin Luo
This is obviously just a WA guess, but it seems highly unlikely to me that by 6/4 787s gonna be flying this route again.
Old May 7, 2020, 2:20 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N104UA
If you can delay your trip you should, if you have to travel it shouldn't matter what the seat is.
If you must travel and need a flatbed, the 787-8 is flying the LAX-EWR each night through June 1 on the redeye. You can switch to that flight for no fee / additional.
cesco.g likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Starting Sunday (May 10) the late EWR to LAX has been swapped to a 787-8. UA changed the May 10th flight Thursday right after I grabbed a seat. What a pleasant surprise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.