FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2015432-understanding-using-ua-electronic-travel-certificate-etc-future-flight-credit-ffc.html)

bppcomplete Feb 16, 2023 7:44 am

What happens if I cancel a ticket purchased with FFC or ETC in 24 hours?
Payment goes back to original form of payment, Note this can take some time -- a week or more, especially for the ETC.
What happens if I cancel a ticket purchased with FFC or ETC after 24 hours?
This becomes a new FFC (including the ETC value). This generally happens immediately.
Wait, what happens if I cancel a refundable ticket purchased partially with FFC or ETC after 24 hours? Does the first row happen or the second row happen? And does any payment I put on top go back to my credit card?

I actually assume that since FFCs are just sugar-coated tickets with no segments, this doesn't actually work the way I want it to (essentially I'm paying add/collect on a more restrictive fare) for FFCs and in fact I'd end up with funds that expire at the original FFC expiry date. But ETCs are different and have no fare rules, so they would differ in this regard. But it seems like ecgz88 above has had luck just refunding this type of ticket?

findark Feb 16, 2023 7:54 am

Originally Posted by bppcomplete (Post 35016012)
Wait, what happens if I cancel a refundable ticket purchased partially with FFC or ETC after 24 hours? Does the first row happen or the second row happen? And does any payment I put on top go back to my credit card?

I actually assume that since FFCs are just sugar-coated tickets with no segments, this doesn't actually work the way I want it to (essentially I'm paying add/collect on a more restrictive fare) for FFCs and in fact I'd end up with funds that expire at the original FFC expiry date. But ETCs are different and have no fare rules, so they would differ in this regard. But it seems like ecgz88 above has had luck just refunding this type of ticket?

The first will happen, where "original form of payment" is each dollar back to where it came from (new money to the card, FFC/ETC back there).

They have messed around enough with FFCs and credits that I am not sure if you can walk the date forward by doing this.

Smiley90 Feb 19, 2023 9:30 am

What's the best way for me to find out what the refund/cancellation/change fees for my ticket are before booking it? Because the full fare rules page is VERY unhelpful, searching for cancellation doesn't bring up any values.

Lux Flyer Feb 19, 2023 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 35023415)
What's the best way for me to find out what the refund/cancellation/change fees for my ticket are before booking it? Because the full fare rules page is VERY unhelpful, searching for cancellation doesn't bring up any values.

penalties section of the fare rules

Smiley90 Feb 19, 2023 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer (Post 35023693)
penalties section of the fare rules

That's the thing, it doesn't list an amount. But it's a non-refundable fare. It says fully unused ticket value can be applied towards a new ticket? Does that mean I can cancel it for a FFC for the full value of the ticket without any cancellation fee deducted?

WineCountryUA Feb 19, 2023 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 35023739)
That's the thing, it doesn't list an amount. But it's a non-refundable fare. It says fully unused ticket value can be applied towards a new ticket? Does that mean I can cancel it for a FFC for the full value of the ticket without any cancellation fee deducted?

Most likely, that is standard for most non-refundable fares

Smiley90 Feb 19, 2023 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 35023921)
Most likely, that is standard for most non-refundable fares

Gotcha, I wasn't sure because I saw a blog article that said you get FFC AFTER reduction of the cancellation fee, but I couldn't find any references on the United website.

WineCountryUA Feb 19, 2023 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 35024105)
Gotcha, I wasn't sure because I saw a blog article that said you get FFC AFTER reduction of the cancellation fee, but I couldn't find any references on the United website.

That would be highly unusual. I would avoid that blogger in the future unless there was more to that statement.

Smiley90 Feb 19, 2023 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 35024191)
That would be highly unusual. I would avoid that blogger in the future unless there was more to that statement.

It was here, so I will:
https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...rlines-flight/

"If you have a non-refundable ticket you will be required to pay $200 for domestic tickets and up to $400 for international ticket fees (depending on the length of the flight, location, and type of fare). Afterward, you will receive the remainder of your fare, minus the fee, in the form of an eCredit for use on a future United flight."

Happy that they're wrong!

WineCountryUA Feb 19, 2023 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 35024195)
It was here, so I will:
https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...rlines-flight/

"If you have a non-refundable ticket you will be required to pay $200 for domestic tickets and up to $400 for international ticket fees (depending on the length of the flight, location, and type of fare). Afterward, you will receive the remainder of your fare, minus the fee, in the form of an eCredit for use on a future United flight."

Happy that they're wrong!

That information is very dated and wrong, since Aug 2020

No more change fees

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

I would delete that bookmark / blogger

emcampbe Feb 19, 2023 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 35024402)
That information is very dated and wrong, since Aug 2020

No more change fees

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

I would delete that bookmark / blogger

Not to mention, that the fee was never so black and white. While the standard fee on most economy tickets was $200 back when there were change fees, there were always, depending on specifics of the ticket, differences that could make it more (or less). I once had an L fare ex-India where I think the change fee was like $75, even when it was $200 for most, for example - which also shows how different markets have different fees.

jsloan Feb 19, 2023 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 35024808)
Not to mention, that the fee was never so black and white. While the standard fee on most economy tickets was $200 back when there were change fees, there were always, depending on specifics of the ticket, differences that could make it more (or less). I once had an L fare ex-India where I think the change fee was like $75, even when it was $200 for most, for example - which also shows how different markets have different fees.

The fee was $200 for all domestic non-refundable economy fares. It varied quite a bit in international markets.

Smiley90 Feb 22, 2023 7:09 am

This is an odd one.

I just received an email confirmation for a booking for this summer that I made months ago. No flight change, but I'm being issued a future flight credit of 80 dollars. That's the only thing. I didn't touch the booking or anything. Has this happened to anyone else before? If United starts proactively issuing future flight credits if your booking drops in price, I might actually have to give them kudos.

cfischer Feb 25, 2023 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 35031903)
This is an odd one.

I just received an email confirmation for a booking for this summer that I made months ago. No flight change, but I'm being issued a future flight credit of 80 dollars. That's the only thing. I didn't touch the booking or anything. Has this happened to anyone else before? If United starts proactively issuing future flight credits if your booking drops in price, I might actually have to give them kudos.

that is strange ... don't complain!

hanssen Feb 25, 2023 10:13 pm

Have some ETC that are expiring. Is there any way to extend them? Thanks in advance.