Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Fate of UA Hemispheres Magazine, mailed copy stopping May 2021, back on planes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fate of UA Hemispheres Magazine, mailed copy stopping May 2021, back on planes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Only to those with Premier Platinum status and above. Lowly Gold's get nothing. I can remember when Gold was the highest frequent flyer status on UA that you could get.
It was not called "Gold", but I got your point. It was Premier Executive labeled on a gold card. 1P as we called it.

I do remember PE was special, but I also remember when 1K was extra special when it was first introduced. When 1K first came out, I was treated better than how a GS is being treated now. Although the benefits are different, I have no problem getting complimentary international upgrades often back then. CDG to IAD, SFO-NRT and other international flights on the 747 from Connoisseur cabin to international first class with 7-course caviar, lobster and Chateaubriand dinning experience in addition to frequent complimentary upgrades from cheap Y to Connoisseur class. IIRC, those great complimentary upgrades went away about 18 months after 1K was first introduced....much like the hype of introducing Polaris until and then pulled back.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:13 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It was not called "Gold", but I got your point. It was Premier Executive labeled on a gold card. 1P as we called it.

I do remember PE was special, but I also remember when 1K was extra special when it was first introduced. When 1K first came out, I was treated better than how a GS is being treated now. Although the benefits are different, I have no problem getting complimentary international upgrades often back then. CDG to IAD, SFO-NRT and other international flights on the 747 from Connoisseur cabin to international first class with 7-course caviar, lobster and Chateaubriand dinning experience in addition to frequent complimentary upgrades from cheap Y to Connoisseur class. IIRC, those great complimentary upgrades went away about 18 months after 1K was first introduced....much like the hype of introducing Polaris until and then pulled back.
Yes, I'd forgotten, Premier Executive was what it was. You received 1.5 miles for every mile you flew. You could really accumulate miles fast back then, and they seemed to be worth more too. You're also right about the upgrades, I got more than a few on long-haul international flights. Even had a pilot write me a note hand-delivered by a stewardess welcoming me as a Premier Executive onboard. Oh yes, the Good Old Days!
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by physioprof
Excited to read your interview!!
Thanks! Me too!
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by meducate
I was just interviewed for the October 2020 issue of Hemispheres. It will be sent to "...United's most frequent flyers..." according to the editor-in-chief.
I'll be sure to keep my eye out for the article written by "meducate" in the October 2020 issue.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
I liked looking at the route map, ....
Since they got rid of the timetable, that has pretty much been my only way to quickly see what destinations UA flies to.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by eng3
Since they got rid of the timetable, that has pretty much been my only way to quickly see what destinations UA flies to.
At this point, I'm not even looking further than a month out or whenever airlines release their respective schedules. At least a definitive schedule is coming out early in the current month for the following month I.E. September's schedule was released on August 4th. If I'm in doubt, I just use google flights. My flights are always the same route, though I do have two origin airports to pick from since they are an equally far drive for me and they leave at the same time. Delta used to fly into one of my 'home' airports which gave me some flexibility if United's schedule didn't work, but they dropped the route in May.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Yes, I'd forgotten, Premier Executive was what it was. You received 1.5 miles for every mile you flew. You could really accumulate miles fast back then, and they seemed to be worth more too. You're also right about the upgrades, I got more than a few on long-haul international flights. Even had a pilot write me a note hand-delivered by a stewardess welcoming me as a Premier Executive onboard. Oh yes, the Good Old Days!
Premier Executive came with a 100% mile bonus not 50%. Gutted on 3/3/12 by the vile Smisek.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Premier Executive came with a 100% mile bonus not 50%. Gutted on 3/3/12 by the vile Smisek.
Not as I remember it, but perhaps it changed at some point. PE (Gold) got a 50% bonus and Premier (Silver) got a 25% bonus on flown miles. Maybe others can confirm. My memory of this is from 1994, but I'm not sure when these bonuses stopped. I guess you say 2012?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

United used to offer comp international upgrades to 1ks? When was 1k introduced?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While the walk thru the past is interesting to some, this thread is about the UA Hemispheres magazine -- let's stick to that topic. If some want to continue the walk thru the past (with a suggested title), PM/Alert a Moderator and we can move that discussion to a separate thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
Well, a nice gesture at least by UA to send Hemispheres direct mail. Why doesn't DL publish Sky Magazine online as opposed to laying off the staff?
Also, has any Airline ever tried to sell their magazine at newsstands or convenience stores? IIRC, AA might've tried it with American Way at Borders back in the day but can't remember. I feel that could be their saving grace right now to save jobs if they can't give it away on the plane.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I do occasionally get bored on the airplane and pull out the magazine.

Near the back when I look at the route map I dream of something new to fly to. Good times...
artvandalay likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Mrs MysteryTour and I each received the first issue. Three Perfect Days (in) Montana. My home state.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Any chance they'll mail the mag to Canada if I call them up?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 11:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kevflyer
Any chance they'll mail the mag to Canada if I call them up?
With the costs of processing individual requests, unlikely. maybe just an one-off. First would wait to see if Canadians are included.

The magazine is readily available online and here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.