Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA needs cash - idea -- earn status / miles for unflown / cancelled flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:24 am
Original Poster

UA needs cash. I have several tickets that the flight has been canceled and I'm getting a refund (cash refund, not a future flight credit). If they let me earn those miles, I would let them keep the cash for my ticket. Why don't they enable this option?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 29, 2020 at 1:07 am Reason: Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You can purchase PQPs and RDMs anytime with Premier Accelerator -- at about the same cost of purchasing and flying UA operated flights.

So the option basically exists today.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can purchase PQPs and RDMs anytime with Premier Accelerator -- at about the same cost of purchasing and flying UA operated flights.

So the option basically exists today.
it does not include lifetime miles. if i'm going to give them free money for nothing, i would like my full credits.
small ring and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
This is a frequent FLYER program not a frequent PURCHASE program.

That was the response I received from M+ years ago when I was unable to fly a segment that was non-refundable. I inquired about the possibility as OP suggested.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
This is a frequent FLYER program not a frequent PURCHASE program.
did not UA already turn MP into a frequent-or-not SPEND program? I personally think OP's suggestion is a viable option for UA to consider, for this year only.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I had/have several flights on Alaska Airlines that are primarily mileage runs, although I turned them into mini-vacations. So far, I've had to cancel two of these for credit to use later. If Alaska allowed me to credit these as miles flown (with all the earned bonuses), I would have jumped at the opportunity.

Of course, Alaska is mileage-based. Not sure it's worth to do this on United, but then that's all the more reason that it would benefit United. I've often wondered why they didn't offer this option to those with existing itineraries.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by deskover54
UA needs cash
IMhO, they don't. They are in a decent cash position. What they need to do is slash costs.

but back to your general premise: what's your goal?

status? That online card will look great gathering dust the next six months.
miles? They do have the buy miles as noted above
Altruistic? Buy some UA stock, or Doneate to the Jason Dahl Scholarship.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:27 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ghts-life.html
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:55 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
I agree, I don’t know why they don’t allow this. If everything is $$$ based, why do they care whether you actually fly or not?
drewguy and loomis like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by _fx
I agree, I don’t know why they don’t allow this. If everything is $$$ based, why do they care whether you actually fly or not?
UA does not, you can buy PQPs today -- what the OP is suggesting is allowing cancelled flights to earn (if not rescheduled and not refunded)
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:17 pm

UA does not, you can buy PQPs today -- what the OP is suggesting is allowing cancelled flights to earn (if not rescheduled and not refunded)
I have had success with this in the past, albeit for a segment or two. I completed an ORC request. My situation was I was flying XXX>IAD>PHL. IAD>PHL last flight of the day got cancelled due to weather, so the system rebooked me for a next day flight. Went to the United Club and had the agent unseat me from the rebooked flight. Had a friend pick me up and drive me to Union station where I took Amtrak to ZFV. I requested ORC and was granted the 500 PQMs and 875 award miles (this was before being based on spend). No questions asked. Has anyone tried asking for ORC? Technically, United is the one benefitting here because they don’t have the cost associated with transport that they would otherwise from reusing the ticket.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
I have had success with this in the past, albeit for a segment or two. I completed an ORC request. ....
Yes, ORC is a special (but well know to the FT community) case where you can get credit for unflown segments but it is required you actually fly the ticket but just not the booked routing. ORC is an irrops recovery and really not an option to plan on.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA MP
I am surprised that UA doesn't have the FAs just walk through the aisle hawking PQPs - they can scan your BP to get MP info off of it and just run your credit card.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:40 am

Yes, ORC is a special (but well know to the FT community) case where you can get credit for unflown segments but it is required you actually fly the ticket but just not the booked routing. ORC is an irrops recovery and really not an option to plan on.
WineCountry,

I am familiar with ORC being widely known for changed routings and have benefited from this myself, I just haven't seen it publicized for incomplete routings, such as what I experienced (ending a trip mid-trip but receiving credit for the remainder and finding my own way to my final destination).

SAP
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
WineCountry,

I am familiar with ORC being widely known for changed routings and have benefited from this myself, I just haven't seen it publicized for incomplete routings, such as what I experienced (ending a trip mid-trip but receiving credit for the remainder and finding my own way to my final destination).

SAP
I actually think United has the capability to provide mileage for flights when canceled if you are willing to give up the value of the ticket. I had a situation a few years ago where a flight was canceled on a cheap ticket - I needed the credit to hit a threshold and the Mileage Plus service center offered to move the ticket to 'used' status to allow the credit to be applied. I was given the choice of spend the ~$100 for the 1 segment and 500 mile minimum or the refund, but not both
Its worth asking...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.