Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
IAD-IAH tonight on Polaris bird. In FC, they brought up the snack cart from economy & we had our pick. Only prepackaged food like snack boxes, chips, hummus, candy etc They did have mini bottles of alcohol, but ice is a hard NO. They did have ice for airplane use, but not human consumption. I imagine there will be some tweaks as catering catches up with corporate directives.

It is what it is. We are in the midst of a global pandemic & the airlines are on the brink of bankruptcy. Both are valid reasons to cut back the inflight service options temporarily.

Most of you are not even flying right now & complaining about a service change you are not experiencing. Relax Francis
interesting I’m on SFO-IAD tomorrow on a Polarized bird. I will report back with what is served with that being transcontinental but not seen as premium transcontinental will see which way they go with that one.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
All of this effects so few people. I am not working due the situation. In my boredom, I am looking at seat maps. Of the tiny percentage of flights operating, I have in days, yet to find any single flight operating with more than 15 people or so. Exceptions I see are EWR LHR and EWR FRA.

Domestically, they seem to be at load factors of around 10 percent, max. So sad. Who cares what they serve. I do think this is more about cost than safety.

Last edited by JerseyCityS; Mar 28, 2020 at 7:48 pm
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Tonight DEN-SFO 777 Polaris ship (not that the seat type matters). Everything that you expect from Dinner service on the route, including PDB, hot nuts, etc. Only difference was no butter for pretzel roll and plastic cups for in flight drinks. I know tomorrow is a whole other story, but it is odd that the IAD-IAH flight had alternative service today when the service changes are scheduled for tomorrow.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Tonight DEN-SFO 777 Polaris ship (not that the seat type matters). Everything that you expect from Dinner service on the route, including PDB, hot nuts, etc. Only difference was no butter for pretzel roll and plastic cups for in flight drinks. I know tomorrow is a whole other story, but it is odd that the IAD-IAH flight had alternative service today when the service changes are scheduled for tomorrow.
My flights on Tuesday had plastic cups in F (PS SFO-EWR on a 757) but still had the full meal. The FA said I had my choice of two options, but if I wanted I could have both, or a snack box from coach before landing. It was nice having full bottles of water though. I've never done a red eye in premium F before, so I don't know if that is normal or not for that cabin.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rch4u
A flight attendant friend of mine suspects these draconian in-flight cuts will last through summer. If that is the case, I will not be buying any First or Polaris fares.
I expect these measures will last until demand (and airfare) rises.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by DELee
So, even with $8B on hand + gotten loan(s) + possible bailout $$$, on the brink. Sure.

Valid, perhaps in the Kirby Kutback book. Informative, no. UA has personnel that can communicate - not that they apparently know how to let its customers know what's happening. Really, really difficult in this day and age.

Ah, so for those of us who are grounded and not wanting to contribute to the potential spread of virii, we can't have a view point?

David
I am just saying that DUMPING on UA for "temporary" moves made during this unprecedented global event are a bit much. If they stay after the emergency has passed then flame away...

As for the second part of your response, I personally believe that flying on a UA plane right now is safer than shopping in my local supermarket. Who touched those cans & produce before you? Think of the thousands of people that go thru a supermarket daily vs. the few hundred (at most) that have traveled in the plane I rode in today (across all of it's flights). You would have to travel during these times to understand what I am talking about. The airports, parking garages, & planes are all ghost towns right now.

A FEW of us are forced to continue to fly to keep our businesses afloat. Working from my kitchen table is simply not an option. Unless you want me to join the 3.3 million that just applied for unemployment, I will continue to do what I have to in order to keep my family fed. If the government shuts down the airlines and takes away my choice, then so be it. Until then I will continue to fly & take all reasonable precautions to keep myself & my family safe.

Up to this point, I have kept my posts to minimum during the COVID era because of the internet shaming I was bound to receive (your moderated post being an example). However, in the spirit of FT, I decided it was time for me to chime in with a view from the front lines (or seats) of UA. I fly 2-4 flights every week. I am seeing the effects the current situation is having on UA's operations & it's people. I find the steps they are taking & temporary (hopefully) reductions in service to be prudent and tolerable. Maybe they care for their customers safety, maybe they care for their employees safety, or maybe they care more about their shareholders bottom line. By all means continue to debate these finer points.

Just my 0.015 cts/mile

Last edited by FlyngSvyr; Mar 28, 2020 at 11:58 pm
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I am just saying that DUMPING on UA for "temporary" moves made during this unprecedented global event are a bit much. If they stay after the emergency has passed then flame away...

As for the second part of your response, I personally believe that flying on a UA plane right now is safer than shopping in my local supermarket. Who touched those cans & produce before you? Think of the thousands of people that go thru a supermarket daily vs. the few hundred (at most) that have traveled in the plane I rode in today (across all of it's flights). You would have to travel during these times to understand what I am talking about. The airports, parking garages, & planes are all ghost towns right now.

A FEW of us our forced to continue to fly to keep our businesses afloat. Working from my kitchen table is simply not an option. Unless you want me to join the 3.3 million that just applied for unemployment, I will continue to do what I have to in order to keep my family fed. If the government shuts down the airlines and takes away my choice, then so be it. Until then I will continue to fly & take all reasonable precautions to keep myself & my family safe.

Up to this point, I have kept my posts to minimum during the COVID era because of the internet shaming I was bound to receive (your moderated post being an example). However, in the spirit of FT, I decided it was time for me to chime in with a view from the front lines (or seats) of UA. I fly 2-4 flights every week. I am seeing the effects the current situation is having on UA's operations & it's people. I find the steps they are taking & temporary (hopefully) reductions in service to be prudent and tolerable. Maybe they care for their customers safety, maybe they care for their employees safety, or maybe they care more about their shareholders bottom line. By all means continue to debate these finer points.

Just my 0.015 cts/mile
So UA needs to fess up on the "temporary" moves so all know what's going on. It's not hard in today's Twitter era or updating a web page or two and sending yet another info e-mail - of which I and many others have yet to receive. Irrespective of whether we are currently flying or not.

David
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:09 pm

So UA needs to fess up on the "temporary" moves so all know what's going on. It's not hard in today's Twitter era or updating a web page or two and sending yet another info e-mail - of which I and many others have yet to receive. Irrespective of whether we are currently flying or not.

David
Ask & ye shall receive

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g-changes.html
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So UA needs to fess up on the "temporary" moves so all know what's going on. It's not hard in today's Twitter era or updating a web page or two and sending yet another info e-mail - of which I and many others have yet to receive. ...
There is quite a bit of posted information on UA's website

https://www.united.com/coronavirus

Specifically on the in-flight food-service change
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g-changes.html

The various letters are posted on United Hub
or in the wiki of COVID19 / Letters from UA Management to customers -- New Oscar message 27 March 2020

===================

And let's tone down / drop the comments on those flying or not flying -- as anonymous forum, we do not know the detailed circumstances of each other and per FT rules discussing other posters (even in the third person) is not considered to be construction to a useful discussion.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2020 at 10:23 pm
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
From the website, I read:

In United Economy®, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies (flights over an hour and a half). In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snack basket (flights between an hour and a half and 2 hours and twenty minutes) or snackbox (flights over 2 hours and twenty minutes).
So in economy, it's OK for a FA to hand me a pretzel or cookie, but not a snack box? What does this have to do with safety?

In F, it's OK to pass around a snack basket for everyone's hands to dig around? How does this keep us safe from viral transmission?

So from just these two examples alone, these changes are nothing more than cost cuts with nothing to do with health or cleanliness.
rch4u and cmd320 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is awesome. Now I know what I can look forward to in E+ flying to EWR:

If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.
What the heck is a "snack choice"?

The awesomeness of UA.

David
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:31 pm

David[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by bocastephen

So in economy, it's OK for a FA to hand me a pretzel or cookie, but not a snack box? What does this have to do with safety?

In F, it's OK to pass around a snack basket for everyone's hands to dig around? How does this keep us safe from viral transmission?

So from just these two examples alone, these changes are nothing more than cost cuts with nothing to do with health or cleanliness.
All valid points and maybe there are further steps that could be taken to limit the possibility of viral transmission during the handing out of packaged items. FA wearing gloves during service and only handing the item to the customer (not letting the customer self serve from the basket) would be a start. I would not be surprised if their procedures evolve to something similar.

Frankly, I am not surprised that meals were finally pulled from a safety/liability standpoint in the current climate. I have seen many pax refuse meal service over the last few weeks over the great unknown of where their meal came from. Viral transmission from infected food preparers (not just the FAs) is always a possibility (however remote). Especially the uncooked items such as salads. Every inflight meal has a salad or uncooked vegetable component, In our house we are not eating uncooked vegetables until this is over. I point back to my supermarket example from an earlier post. No one really sanitizes raw vegetables prior to eating them. They just rinse them off before preparation.

I also have no doubt that they also modified the service for cost cutting measure. Did you know that up until this change, UA was catering all their flights with meals as if every FC seat was full? Not a problem pre COVID, but last week if you were flying on a 50 seat Polaris bird with only 10 FC pax, there were 40+ extra meals that were going to be chucked at the end of the fight. That kind of waste adds up quickly when the FC cabins are running so empty. You would think they would have a better system to limit the number of catered meals, but maybe there are logistical/contractual things that affect these catering decisions we know nothing about?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

David

All valid points and maybe there are further steps that could be taken to limit the possibility of viral transmission during the handing out of packaged items. FA wearing gloves during service and only handing the item to the customer (not letting the customer self serve from the basket) would be a start. I would not be surprised if their procedures evolve to something similar.

Frankly, I am not surprised that meals were finally pulled from a safety/liability standpoint in the current climate. I have seen many pax refuse meal service over the last few weeks over the great unknown of where their meal came from. Viral transmission from infected food preparers (not just the FAs) is always a possibility (however remote). Especially the uncooked items such as salads. Every inflight meal has a salad or uncooked vegetable component, In our house we are not eating uncooked vegetables until this is over. I point back to my supermarket example from an earlier post. No one really sanitizes raw vegetables prior to eating them. They just rinse them off before preparation.

I also have no doubt that they also modified the service for cost cutting measure. Did you know that up until this change, UA was catering all their flights with meals as if every FC seat was full? Not a problem pre COVID, but last week if you were flying on a 50 seat Polaris bird with only 10 FC pax, there were 40+ extra meals that were going to be chucked at the end of the fight. That kind of waste adds up quickly when the FC cabins are running so empty. You would think they would have a better system to limit the number of catered meals, but maybe there are logistical/contractual things that affect these catering decisions we know nothing about?
If UA could implement its much vaunted order in advance, then they would know what each passenger wants.

Domestic F meal pre-order trial is expanding (LAX IAD, DEN, ....)

Unfortunately, either it is not ready or they are unwilling to enable it for at least all domestic F passengers. This would be the ideal time to operationalize it.

David
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen

The issue is with people handing them their CC. Many restaurants are going online order only so they don't have to touch your payment method. Costco won't touch your receipt when leaving the store right now either. You hold it up for the person to look at it and then they mark with with their marker from a distance.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
So based on what I'm reading, it sounds like everyone who is flying in the premium cabin is pretty much getting a "Kosher Meal." The airlines already have a sealed meal system they use for Kosher Meals which from what I understand is presented sealed in plastic, (including all of the tableware) and the passenger opens it up.

Image of AA's Kosher meal is from OMMAT:

AA Kosher Breakfast From OMMAT

UA Kosher Meal from Dan's Deal

Polaris Kosher Breakfast from TPG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.