Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by narvik
Not blaming you, but thanks for the good laugh this morning!

Uh-huh!
This from the "Beef, chicken, or pasta?" people, too lazy to even read the menu beforehand. Exceptional service, indeed; exceptionally poor!
Obviously, given what the airline is doing on menus, the FA's should learn about the dishes, but this is really something that is much more the airline's fault than the FA's. As I said in the meals thread recently, it's 2021, and every airline that serves food ought to be able to put complete menus up online. UA's JV partner Lufthansa does it (at least in Premium Economy and above).

If the airlines did this, that would probably solve 90% of the problem here.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hurnik
Well despite the reports of PDB to be live today it is not. At least on UA2133. ALB to ORD. Perhaps the AFA convinced United to not roll it out?
As usual, the FAs tend to take their instructions from the union, not management and company service standards.
hurnik and Plane-is-home like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Obviously, given what the airline is doing on menus, the FA's should learn about the dishes, but this is really something that is much more the airline's fault than the FA's. As I said in the meals thread recently, it's 2021, and every airline that serves food ought to be able to put complete menus up online. UA's JV partner Lufthansa does it (at least in Premium Economy and above).

If the airlines did this, that would probably solve 90% of the problem here.
At least we're ahead of Delta, which for unexplained reasons downgraded their premium economy product to ECONOMY service. Their PS is simply a nicer seat at this point. No service enhancements, not to mention no menus, etc

But we should be striving to do far better than the bottom of the barrel. Bring back the menus, and add them for domestic first as well
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:52 pm

It seems the United FAs will give us a hard time with the PDB: https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...verages-union/
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by xph11
It seems the United FAs will give us a hard time with the PDB: https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...verages-union/
Interrupts their enjoyment of watching the latest Netflix download on their phones
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Bear96
I am not taking sides in this but for the record here is what the AFA says about the return of PDBs (and I am not defending it so if anyone has problems with it, don't direct that to me):
"This is about safety, not ensuring our AFA members do as little work as possible" is the AFA equivalent of UA's "We're responding to customer feedback by [implementing the latest service reduction]."
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:29 pm

The flight attendants are spot on. Boarding passengers see first class with masks off does not set a good tone for rules enforcement. I fly weekly most in United F and prefer to have the people around me with masks on before the flight. I also like quick meals for masks are back on.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:08 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
PDB back for EWR-ZRH departure today (11/23)

No glassware for PDB (as to be expected since announcement said 12/01)

Dinner choices:
- Salmon with coconut risotto
- Beef short ribs with rice and broccoli
- Manicotti as the vegetarian pasta

UA should really do sth about food.

Last edited by bookeew; Nov 24, 2021 at 3:16 am
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
i am gingerly planning to start flying international transpac (japan - usa) again from january.. is it even worth bothering with polaris given how the service has been downgraded??
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
i am gingerly planning to start flying international transpac (japan - usa) again from january.. is it even worth bothering with polaris given how the service has been downgraded??
If you're paying for J outright, do not bother with Polaris. Book with NH instead (or JL if you really want to "send a message" to Scott Kirby about how dire Polaris is--as UA and NH share revenue on TPAC routes). If you're trying to upgrade, you're kinda stuck with UA unless you buy up to a sufficiently high fare class (U or E) on NH to apply Plus Points.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you're buying a business class ticket, then no - you have better options from NRT to USA via NH, JL and if going to LAX, SQ. Even before coronavirus, I would have struggled to recommend UA over NH, and now with their new seats, there just isn't any comparison.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by hurnik
Well despite the reports of PDB to be live today it is not. At least on UA2133. ALB to ORD. Perhaps the AFA convinced United to not roll it out?
No PDB’s on LAX-IAD (UA 599) today, either.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
If inflight service is important to you on this route, NH or JL are best.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Bear96
I am not taking sides in this but for the record here is what the AFA says about the return of PDBs (and I am not defending it so if anyone has problems with it, don't direct that to me):
I would say on about 80% of the domestic flights I take, there is plenty of time between when boarding is completed and the cabin door is closed for the FAs to provide a PDB to those in first class, especially when it is a plane with a smaller F section, like an A319 or A320. So I don't buy the argument about economy passengers seeing F passengers drinking beverages with their masks off during boarding.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:32 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
thanks all!would be an upgrade.. reading the comments though-the biz class seems hardly worth bothering with now.. though you do get a flat bed!
for the us domestic is biz improving or still the same?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.