FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Coronavirus Kills United Airlines EWR Employee; Two Others Test Positive (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2014285-coronavirus-kills-united-airlines-ewr-employee-two-others-test-positive.html)

dilanesp Mar 27, 2020 9:36 am

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 32238269)
:( and Rest In Peace

They really do risk their health for our safety and comfort. They come into contact with so many travelers.

goalie Mar 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 32238302)

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 32238269)
:( and Rest In Peace

They really do risk their health for our safety and comfort. They come into contact with so many travelers.

Yes x3 x infinity

Mama Mar 28, 2020 2:04 am

I wonder how many passengers this flight attendant spread his/her virus to. We should all be afraid of everyone on the plane now, INCLUDING FLIGHT ATTENDANTS AND THE DRINKS AND THE FOOD THEY TOUCHED.

Mama Mar 28, 2020 2:13 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 32235509)
I was really sad to hear this news - probably the first of many airline employees who will be impacted by the virus as they keep the country connected through this crisis :(

Let's be very clear - passenger airlines are not continuing to operate to "make a dollar" - they're realistically losing a lot of money on every flight they run, and they continue to operate as a public service to keep essential personnel and goods moving around the country.

A great example is enabling air cargo airlines (UPS, FedEx, DHL, Amazon Air, etc.) to continue operation - It's not so trivial to "keep flights open for cargo" without domestic passenger service since pilots for cargo airlines rely on passenger flights to commute to/from home and also for deadhead legs (very common in the air cargo industry due to pilot contractual provisions to protect circadian rhythms of pilots during overnight flying periods).

Grounding passenger flights would immediately have severe impacts on supply chains across the country. Mail service would be severely delayed, companies like Amazon wouldn't be able to deliver goods to customers in need in a timely manner, pharmaceutical companies wouldn't be able to quickly move medical supplies to hospitals and pharmacies, etc.

I will vote for continueing passenger flights, but operate solely for transporting cargos and airlines crew.

clubord Mar 31, 2020 12:46 pm

Unfortunately, we lost another EWR coworker today.

goalie Mar 31, 2020 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by clubord (Post 32251540)
Unfortunately, we lost another EWR coworker today.

:( Rest In Peace and condolences to their family and friends

drewguy Mar 31, 2020 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 32232326)
true, but he is still dead. why does it matter where he was infected?????

Yes, because it matters how this is transmitted. As a ramp employee, he's less customer facing, but still important to know (e.g., what if he got it from traveler luggage).

As for time to hospital to death, given the pressures many people face to keep working it's possible he didn't immediately seek medical attention when he first got symptoms.