FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Coronavirus Kills United Airlines EWR Employee; Two Others Test Positive (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2014285-coronavirus-kills-united-airlines-ewr-employee-two-others-test-positive.html)

SAPriorityTag Mar 25, 2020 4:03 pm

Coronavirus Kills United Airlines EWR Employee; Two Others Test Positive

Hello,

This was shared on my Facebook thread today. I'm afraid we will too soon learn of others who meet the same fate. God Speed.

Coronavirus Kills United Airlines EWR Employee

SAP

*If this is not the appropriate thread for this my apologies in advance.

94010flyer Mar 25, 2020 4:16 pm

Rest In Peace. Hard to fathom the speed between diagnosis and death.

UA_Flyer Mar 25, 2020 5:06 pm

RIP:(!

People needs to take it seriously!

My former family doctor in South Florida passed away from Coronavirus earlier today from being infected by patient he loved and cared for.

To all frontline UA employees: Please Stay Safe!

mcbg1 Mar 25, 2020 5:49 pm

He could have gotten infected anywhere

nachosdelux Mar 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by mcbg1 (Post 32232199)
He could have gotten infected anywhere

true, but he is still dead. why does it matter where he was infected?????

Pi7473000 Mar 25, 2020 7:41 pm

We need to shut down all domestic commercial flights. They can keep flights open for cargo, but it is not worth risking the lives of airline employees to make a dollar. Just as we are shutting down restaurants air travel should have already been shut down. Very sorry for the loss!

planes&trains Mar 25, 2020 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Pi7473000 (Post 32232465)
We need to shut down all domestic commercial flights. They can keep flights open for cargo, but it is not worth risking the lives of airline employees to make a dollar. Just as we are shutting down restaurants air travel should have already been shut down. Very sorry for the loss!

I was driving past the airport yesterday and a lonely AA flight was entering the runway for takeoff. I loved planes my entire life and still enjoy watching planes take off and land. Every single time. But my heart sank yesterday. I miss the industry for what it used to be. I want it to bounce back so very much.

Weatherboy Mar 25, 2020 9:42 pm

Are there any more details on the UA flight attendant that died from COVID-19?

jspira Mar 25, 2020 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 32232765)

I haven't heard of any cabin crew deaths due to Covid-19 - what have you heard?

username Mar 25, 2020 10:24 pm

One transmission source I wonder is the boarding pass and boarding pass scanner.

It seems the face-down scanners (your barcode faces down) would get more contacts than the face-up scanners. Most of the domestic UA scanners I have seen are face-down.

My last UA flight was on 2/28. Have they implemented any changes on that front recently (e.g. remind people to not have their phone / BP touch the scanner)?

notquiteaff Mar 25, 2020 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 32232840)
One transmission source I wonder is the boarding pass and boarding pass scanner.

It seems the face-down scanners (your barcode faces down) would get more contacts than the face-up scanners. Most of the domestic UA scanners I have seen are face-down.

My last UA flight was on 2/28. Have they implemented any changes on that front recently (e.g. remind people to not have their phone / BP touch the scanner)?

A handheld scanner would perhaps be safer, AS has been using tablets (kind of awkward due to size) at some airports/gates for a while (pre-covid).

Are there any changes at TSA? Or do people still “drop” their phone on the scanner?

PVDtoDEL Mar 26, 2020 2:02 pm

I was really sad to hear this news - probably the first of many airline employees who will be impacted by the virus as they keep the country connected through this crisis :(

Originally Posted by Pi7473000 (Post 32232465)

Let's be very clear - passenger airlines are not continuing to operate to "make a dollar" - they're realistically losing a lot of money on every flight they run, and they continue to operate as a public service to keep essential personnel and goods moving around the country.

A great example is enabling air cargo airlines (UPS, FedEx, DHL, Amazon Air, etc.) to continue operation - It's not so trivial to "keep flights open for cargo" without domestic passenger service since pilots for cargo airlines rely on passenger flights to commute to/from home and also for deadhead legs (very common in the air cargo industry due to pilot contractual provisions to protect circadian rhythms of pilots during overnight flying periods).

Grounding passenger flights would immediately have severe impacts on supply chains across the country. Mail service would be severely delayed, companies like Amazon wouldn't be able to deliver goods to customers in need in a timely manner, pharmaceutical companies wouldn't be able to quickly move medical supplies to hospitals and pharmacies, etc.

WineCountryUA Mar 26, 2020 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 32232765)

May be confusing this with https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...suspected.html

clubord Mar 27, 2020 3:08 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32236753)

Unfortunately there has been a UA F/A death as well.

goalie Mar 27, 2020 9:25 am

Originally Posted by clubord (Post 32237297)
Unfortunately there has been a UA F/A death as well.

:( and Rest In Peace