Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Kills United Airlines EWR Employee; Two Others Test Positive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

This was shared on my Facebook thread today. I'm afraid we will too soon learn of others who meet the same fate. God Speed.

Coronavirus Kills United Airlines EWR Employee

SAP

*If this is not the appropriate thread for this my apologies in advance.
jspira likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Rest In Peace. Hard to fathom the speed between diagnosis and death.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
RIP!

People needs to take it seriously!

My former family doctor in South Florida passed away from Coronavirus earlier today from being infected by patient he loved and cared for.

To all frontline UA employees: Please Stay Safe!
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:49 pm
Suspended

He could have gotten infected anywhere
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by mcbg1
He could have gotten infected anywhere
true, but he is still dead. why does it matter where he was infected?????
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
We need to shut down all domestic commercial flights. They can keep flights open for cargo, but it is not worth risking the lives of airline employees to make a dollar. Just as we are shutting down restaurants air travel should have already been shut down. Very sorry for the loss!
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:02 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by Pi7473000
We need to shut down all domestic commercial flights. They can keep flights open for cargo, but it is not worth risking the lives of airline employees to make a dollar. Just as we are shutting down restaurants air travel should have already been shut down. Very sorry for the loss!
I was driving past the airport yesterday and a lonely AA flight was entering the runway for takeoff. I loved planes my entire life and still enjoy watching planes take off and land. Every single time. But my heart sank yesterday. I miss the industry for what it used to be. I want it to bounce back so very much.
FlyingNone, nnn, SteveHK and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Are there any more details on the UA flight attendant that died from COVID-19?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I haven't heard of any cabin crew deaths due to Covid-19 - what have you heard?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One transmission source I wonder is the boarding pass and boarding pass scanner.

It seems the face-down scanners (your barcode faces down) would get more contacts than the face-up scanners. Most of the domestic UA scanners I have seen are face-down.

My last UA flight was on 2/28. Have they implemented any changes on that front recently (e.g. remind people to not have their phone / BP touch the scanner)?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by username
One transmission source I wonder is the boarding pass and boarding pass scanner.

It seems the face-down scanners (your barcode faces down) would get more contacts than the face-up scanners. Most of the domestic UA scanners I have seen are face-down.

My last UA flight was on 2/28. Have they implemented any changes on that front recently (e.g. remind people to not have their phone / BP touch the scanner)?
A handheld scanner would perhaps be safer, AS has been using tablets (kind of awkward due to size) at some airports/gates for a while (pre-covid).

Are there any changes at TSA? Or do people still “drop” their phone on the scanner?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I was really sad to hear this news - probably the first of many airline employees who will be impacted by the virus as they keep the country connected through this crisis

Originally Posted by Pi7473000
Let's be very clear - passenger airlines are not continuing to operate to "make a dollar" - they're realistically losing a lot of money on every flight they run, and they continue to operate as a public service to keep essential personnel and goods moving around the country.

A great example is enabling air cargo airlines (UPS, FedEx, DHL, Amazon Air, etc.) to continue operation - It's not so trivial to "keep flights open for cargo" without domestic passenger service since pilots for cargo airlines rely on passenger flights to commute to/from home and also for deadhead legs (very common in the air cargo industry due to pilot contractual provisions to protect circadian rhythms of pilots during overnight flying periods).

Grounding passenger flights would immediately have severe impacts on supply chains across the country. Mail service would be severely delayed, companies like Amazon wouldn't be able to deliver goods to customers in need in a timely manner, pharmaceutical companies wouldn't be able to quickly move medical supplies to hospitals and pharmacies, etc.
SteveHK, CIT85, 84fiero and 4 others like this.

Last edited by PVDtoDEL; Apr 2, 2020 at 12:02 am
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
May be confusing this with https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...suspected.html
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unfortunately there has been a UA F/A death as well.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:25 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by clubord
Unfortunately there has been a UA F/A death as well.
and Rest In Peace
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.