FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19: PL/UCs Suspended Ops; 40 UCs are now opened; All PLs open. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2013274-covid19-pl-ucs-suspended-ops-40-ucs-now-opened-all-pls-open.html)

HNLbasedFlyer Dec 21, 2020 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32903588)
At SFO rotunda. Same as before - self serve packaged snacks, drinks at the bar.

Terminal is very very empty.

Great. I’m there tomorrow

Repooc17 Dec 21, 2020 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32903588)
At SFO rotunda. Same as before - self serve packaged snacks, drinks at the bar.

Terminal is very very empty.

Likely a time of day difference. I was there recently during morning bank and another time late evening bank, F concourse buzzing with travelers coming (arrivals) and going (waiting to board). G concourse, on the other hand during the late evening bank, I could run a truck through, and no one would notice

stimpy Dec 22, 2020 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 32903790)
Likely a time of day difference. I was there recently during morning bank and another time late evening bank, F concourse buzzing with travelers coming (arrivals) and going (waiting to board). G concourse, on the other hand during the late evening bank, I could run a truck through, and no one would notice

You are right. I found the same situation at LAX.

TSA numbers don't lie. https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput

Kacee Dec 22, 2020 7:16 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 32904302)

You mean the ones showing daily travelers nationwide down over 55% from last year? At SFO the decline is even steeper - Total Airport Passengers down over 77% in October compared to 2019 (last month for which data available). Comparative Traffic Report. At SFO, the situation is so dire the airport is offering daily parking in the domestic lot for $18/day.

HNLbasedFlyer Dec 22, 2020 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32904517)
At SFO, the situation is so dire the airport is offering daily parking in the domestic lot for $18/day.

Dire? Gosh, what is it normally? HNL is $15/day.

Flying Machine Dec 22, 2020 8:41 am

BOS is closed, I should’ve read which lounges are open. My son traveled home from school yesterday and I told him to go to the airport early so he can go to the lounge. Ended up at Dunkin’ Donuts getting some breakfast sandwiches.

Kacee Dec 22, 2020 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 32904691)
BOS is closed, I should’ve read which lounges are open. My son traveled home from school yesterday and I told him to go to the airport early so he can go to the lounge. Ended up at Dunkin’ Donuts getting some breakfast sandwiches.

The outstations are all closed. UA has been much more aggressive cutting costs than DL and AA.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 32904603)
Dire? Gosh, what is it normally? HNL is $15/day.

$36/day.

HNLbasedFlyer Dec 22, 2020 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32904818)
The outstations are all closed. UA has been much more aggressive cutting costs than DL and AA.

$36/day.

Yikes!

tcdtcd Dec 22, 2020 10:28 am

ORD is $55/day 😱.

fumje Dec 22, 2020 10:30 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 32904897)
Yikes!

That was my friend's reaction when he rocked up for his weeklong trip to LA, thinking it'd be no big deal to use the day parking.

I think he'd have been out less money had he just given up the airfare and driven.

HNLbasedFlyer Dec 22, 2020 10:41 am

Originally Posted by tcdtcd (Post 32904969)
ORD is $55/day 😱.

I don’t even know how to respond to that. My original hometown. Glad to hear Chicagoans are so wealthy to afford that.

Repooc17 Dec 22, 2020 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32904517)
You mean the ones showing daily travelers nationwide down over 55% from last year? At SFO the decline is even steeper - Total Airport Passengers down over 77% in October compared to 2019 (last month for which data available). Comparative Traffic Report. At SFO, the situation is so dire the airport is offering daily parking in the domestic lot for $18/day.

No one is disputing the drastic YOY decrease throughout most of 2020. At the same time, specific time period can still have huge crowds.

Now, if December 2020 travels are similar to that of October 2020, then that's something.

HNLbasedFlyer Dec 22, 2020 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 32905205)
No one is disputing the drastic YOY decrease throughout most of 2020. At the same time, specific time period can still have huge crowds.

Now, if December 2020 travels are similar to that of October 2020, then that's something.

Maybe 20 people or so on my LAS-SFO flight this morning

WineCountryUA Dec 22, 2020 12:14 pm

Travel traffic is down YoY but domesic travel is peaking for the holidays -- both can be true.

However, this is becoming a generic travel traffic discussion, parking lot pricing and battle of statistics -- not UA specific and NOT the thread topic, status of UA's clubs / lounges. Lets please return to the UA specific discussion

WineCountryUA

seacarl Dec 22, 2020 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by st530 (Post 32902231)
So grab and go congregate in Covid-noncompliant numbers in the terminal, rather than in the lounge space. Got it. Makes perfect sense.

Same thing the gov't is doing at SEA. Makes no sense, but that is what you get when you have bureaucrats making indiscriminate decisions.