Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Is Now Selling Basic Economy To Australia (or fat fingered glitch?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Is Now Selling Basic Economy To Australia (or fat fingered glitch?)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Never trust anything you see on united.com on a weekend.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'll add that the way to tell a BE fare currently is NO ASR (no advance seat reservation) language in the endorsements. That language does not appear in this MEL fare.
On TATL fares BE is shown in the options as "No First Bag" (or some similar wording). Last week I was offered an H-fare without bag ($100 cheaper), H-fare as most flexible (~2kEUR) and Polaris (~5kEUR).

I think they're rolling out BE across the board now; on expensive fareclasses where I really wouldn't be expected BE-restrictions...
(I am already unhappy that they do it on W/V-fares!)
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jupper
On TATL fares BE is shown in the options as "No First Bag" (or some similar wording).
That is not true for TK227LGT (BOS-FRA). Only distinguishing fare rule I can see is the NO ASR language.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jupper
I think they're rolling out BE across the board now; on expensive fareclasses where I really wouldn't be expected BE-restrictions...
They appear to be following the same playbook that they tried for domestic BE and then had to roll back. Originally, domestic BE covered everything up to Y.

Man, I wish SkyTeam had some better airlines...
jupper likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by Kacee
That is not true for TK227LGT (BOS-FRA). Only distinguishing fare rule I can see is the NO ASR language.
Just checked, the display (when changed to Europe / NL / English) has changed to show 5 options, for a May week turn (Monday out, Thursday back) I get:
  1. Basic Economy (most restrictive): H+H @ 1926 Euros
  2. Economy (lowest): H+H @ 2026 Euros
  3. Economy (flexible): H+H @ 2026 Euros
  4. Premium Economy (lowest): A+B @ 1931 Euros (Mixed Cabin)
  5. Business (lowest): P+P @ 5044 Euros
Selecting #1 will give a nice pop-up asking if you're sure that there's no seat selection, no upgrades, inability to be seated together, no first standard checked bag for free, no full Premier credit...

If my travel agent were to book, I don't know if they'd catch this as a BE on an AMS-ATL/HKWE2LGT fare...
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you search for those exact flights with the option to include an upgrade, then it brings up the same fares and the same price (+upgrade fee) for confirmed PZ.

Given that upgrades aren't available on BE fares, this clearly it's an BE fare as far as the most of the system is concerned.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Just got off the phone with United and they confirmed that the T class fare I saw is actually not BE and so this entire thing is a technical glitch.
The agent was actually very helpful and she understood what I meant on first try.
She had to escalate to the the supervisor and eventually they manually repriced my ticket and refunded the excess amount. I do have to pay an additional $100 for the copay but overall I still saved a lot of money. The entire process took 1 hour on the phone but it was mostly me on hold so I was also doing other stuff.
I told them to fix the website but who knows how long it might take.

I do also need to thank the members on this forum for saving me ~$500. You guys were very helpful - I was suspicious when I booked but I wouldn't know to look at the fare rules.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
If you search for those exact flights with the option to include an upgrade, then it brings up the same fares and the same price (+upgrade fee) for confirmed PZ.

Given that upgrades aren't available on BE fares, this clearly it's an BE fare as far as the most of the system is concerned.
Is there a missing 'not' in there (as in, 'not a BE fare')? Or am I misunderstanding your first sentence about PZ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.